What's new

300PBT restoration - in progress

My grandfather always used a shaving brush. I remembered it as a black and red handle with a striped brush.
He passed away a few years ago, but before I took to wet shaving. His brush is now in places unknown.

When I decided not to spend obscene amounts on 4 blade cartridges with menial results and start with a double edged razor, I one day wanted to try to find the brush he used.
After not a lot of searching I have concluded it to be an Ever-Ready 300PBT without the metal ring.

I found one on etsy for a reasonable price in need of some TLC. The handle is in very good shape with good lettering, and just a few scratches. The brush, however, is sad.
I am going to attempt a restoration, and want to keep it as close to authentic as possible (no rounded edges, no 22mm knot, etc.)

I just ordered a TGN 18mm silvertip premium knot.

I'll update this thread as progress develops.
In the meantime, any and all advice is appreciated, specifically: weight the handle or not?

$photo 1.JPG
$photo 2.JPG
$photo 3.JPG

Very nice brush-- and it's an excellent candidate for reknotting. Other than being in need of a bit of polishing, that handle appears to be in really good condition. As for weighting the handle, that's really a personal choice. Assuming that the handle is for the most part hollow, if I wanted to give it a bit more heft, I'd probably fill the void with hot melt glue. But whatever you decide on for filler, you'll want to leave sufficient room for your new knot at the loft you want. You have plenty of choices for filler to achieve the desired weight (e.g., cork, coins, and so forth).

Congrats on finding a brush like your grandfather's-- that makes it even more special. Good luck with your restoration, and be sure to post photos of your finished work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom