What's new

30 days of twice daily shaves. June Jamboree Journal

The title of this thread is a bit of a give-away. I figured it belonged in Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-in, because - in spite of my having been quite the loud mouth since joining, only a short time ago - I am a newbie to B & B, and a grateful one at that.
I have been wet shaving on and off for twenty years, but really, more off than on. A profusion of designer stubble (the 90s), beards (00s) and general lazyness (passim) has gone hand in hand with poor health (including some large 'events' and major 'scares'), and a resigned attitude to my appearance. It has meant that that, until six months ago, I really didn't give shaving the attention it deserves. Our fathers (and/or grandfathers) wet shaved because they had to. We wet shave because we can, and we should.
In the last six months I've really started looking after myself again, taking more than passing pride. I'm not the beautiful boy I once was (who among us is?), but that means I should do more to help myself look and feel good, not less. Shaving has to be at the centre of male grooming: if only because it is the most physically engaging event our faces have to go through, and - in many ways - everything else must follow that: from fragrance, to dress choices, and a list of other things that , in the course of a lifetime, have become second nature.
I have been daily shaving for a couple of months now, aside from unavoidable inconveniences. I really can say that my skin has 'toughened' (which I expected) and become more 'responsive' (which I did not), but it doesn't seem quite enough. I want to try shaving twice a day, every day.
I am going to shave twice a day, every day.
With a fast growing and course beard, I know it can be done, the question is: How will it be done..? I have shaved twice daily before, but never more than once in a week (if that overall).
So, for the next 30 days, I'll leave hard & software updates, photos, and any thoughts that occur while I'm at the coal face (I am going to forego my normal practice of listening to music or talk radio while shaving). I'm presenting this as a challenge, but hey, if you love it, is it really a test?
If you want to keep an eye on my progress, please do. I'll be happy to have the company.

Last edited:
I shaved twice a day for months with no aftershave just to test out soaps so I know the feeling. With aftershave it's a breeze, have fun with it! Welcome to the club!

I shave 2x / day about 4x / week, most weeks. I have pretty scary stubble otherwise. It's fun and can be done, and it's given me great appreciation for the glories of smooth, jenny-mule grade blades (Personna Reds, Derbys, Crystals) that are on the smooth end of the sharp-smooth spectrum. It's also taught me that sometimes all the prep you really need is a good Noxema scrub with cold water to get the job done. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back in the 1990s when I was working split shifts behind a hotel bar, I always had a quick shave in the mornings just to look presentable and had a proper shave in the afternoons, admittedly it was with a twin-bladed Gillette "Contour", but I got used to it in no time. On my days off I'd skip shaving to let my face "settle down", but when I was going out at night I'd still shave, so 30 days of shaving twice daily shouldn't be too difficult if you're careful.

So, this is day one (I'm posting with a day in hand, so this is June 1st). I doubt I'll be posting photos every day or posting at this length, but, unless the shaves are extremely mundane, I'll probably post a few words daily. Please ask any questions, and I'll try to get back to you asap.

- Morning -

Preparation: Noxema for 10 minutes + Shower (in that order)
(Optional for Noxema: If it's cold, I like to pull on my classic Red Wings shirt and pretend I'm wearing Sam St Laurent's goalie mask)

Razor + Blade: Lord Fatboy (Lord Head & Cheap fat handle) + Vintage Wilkinson Sword Blades (Made in England - 1970s? - a kind gift from a fellow member)

Brush: L'Occitane by Plisson

Soap/creme: Kiss My Face Lavender & Shea + Lavender glycerine soap (both 'cocktailed' together)

Aftercare: Osma Bloc; Alum Water; Alcohol-free Witch Hazel; Rose Water (Styptic on stand-by).

My 'aftercare' is *always* the same and - unless something big happens - will hereafter appear as "see 2nd post by Lord Fatboy":
After setting down the razor for the last time, I gently wipe my face with a cool, wet towel to remove residue. I then rinse with chilled alum water (water that has had an alum block rubbed and dunked in it for 20 seconds, then stored in fridge), spray face with chilled witch hazel, then spray with tons of rose water.

Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill No10 Cologne Balm + 'Cabana' by La Rive aftershave. After adding balm, I add aftershave anywhere but my face.

Comments: I had started with 2 1/2 days stubble - a lot for me - and just as I was about to put the razor to my face I thought "Hmm, maybe this razor is too mild? Maybe I should double back and break out the R41, or the Braveheart?". Then I remembered why I chose a pretty mild razor in the first place - 'cos I was going to be shaving 12-14 hours later. It was also pleasant to think "Wow, I really don't have to mow this lot down. "Presentable" will do". In thinking that I was reminded 1) If you go for baby skin smooth, if you shave really aggressively, you probably won't get it, and you'll probably hurt yourself. It often just happens and 2) That 'presentable' is more than enough for the other people in my life. I occasionally forget that I, like many (most?) of us, shave this way - and with such attention to detail - entirely for myself.

I think the blades were wrong for this particular shave - on the 1st pass. On the 1st pass, I tend to shave WTG on my cheek, then XTG on my neck (chin to neck). The blade had a difficult time - not very smooth - on the first pass, against a 2-3 day beard. The 2nd pass, XTG nose to ear on cheek, XTG neck to chin on neck, was better. I wondered though, perhaps they did not do so well 1st pass because older blades were designed for the time when most men shaved daily - I doubt I'm right on that, and think I'm probably confusing the cause for the effect. The Kiss My Face was excellent, as always. It doesn't really require to be mixed with glycerine soap, but why not.
I took my time and the result was a fine shave. I was nagged with "Maybe I shouldn't do this 'cos I'm shaving later, maybe I shouldn't do that..." but it was nice to have an excuse to be complacent, about missed spots on areas I didn't want to go over again: "I'll get it later". Knowing that I was going to shave later, also allowed me to concentrate on areas that I sometimes give up on, in favour of getting the rest of my face done - areas more or less invisible to others. A minute or so extra on my chin produced excellent results.
I was struck - as I always am when I use it - by how much better Truefitt and Hill No10 is than all the other balms I have. My skin had a tiny bit of 'Scareitation': Irritation that looks like irritation, but isn't, it's just skin that has gone a little red from having a razor blade dragged over it, and settles down a few minutes after shaving. Still, in the moment, it causes you to consider, all in a split second: Not shaving for a few days, investing in all kinds of skin and shaving products, growing a beard...

$a morn daily shave - day one.png
$b morn lord eve.png

Night:-

Preparation: Noxema + Cool(ish) Shower

Razor+Blade: Weishi 9306 'Brass/Bronze' Type (first time used)

Soap/Creme: Vicco Turmeric Creme in Shaving Cream Base with Foam Ayurvedic Medicine (first time used)

Brush: Vie-Long 4102 Mixed Hog & Horse

Aftercare: See above

Aftershave: La Toja Balm + Brut Original Splash

Comments: It is hot tonight - for Scotland - and the last thing I felt like doing was putting hot water on my face, so had a cool shave, with hot water for rinsing the razor. I didn't really want to shave, but, as is always the case, when I picked up the razor, I was in.
I ended up shaving pretty late, as there was an an old X-files episode I wanted to watch, so it had cooled a little.
I haven't used the Vicco before, but as it arrived today, I thought I'd give it a go, (a long time coming from India, luckily it was only 4 dollars for a 70ml tube). I don't believe that a shave soap or creme can have medicinal properties, much as I cannot believe that it can be moisturising (who would cover their face in moisturiser, then scrape it all off with a spatula, which amounts to the same thing?), but it does lather pretty well, and it does smell quite like the Truefitt & Hill balm I used earlier today - I considered using the balm again, in spite of the strong smell at bed time.
I tend to think that 'matching' aftershaves with shave cremes and soaps is a powerful psychologically fun thing to do, but hey, you wipe all the lather off your face, right, so the smell can't really last? Then a creme comes along that wrecks that idea. Tabac soap was like that, and wow, this Indian, Vicco stuff did the same. Strong scent, similar to the Truefitt, and exactly like a smell (from childhood?) that I can't quite put my finger on, and it lingers a great deal. It lathers incredibly [ital] well, like a face cloud. I bowl lathered, and it was so thick at first that I had to 'pat' it off the brush, and onto my face. I thought it was too dry, but not at all. The Weishi bounced off it at first. A little went a long way too.
The vie-long is an excellent brush, especially for the price. In Europe, it's extremely inexpensive. It's never lost a hair while I shave, only when I've brushed it after ward. I should say here, that when I bought it I was concerned about the fact that I am allergic to horses. I'm so allergic that my throat catches 100 yards from a horse, and my face swells SHUT at one yard. I have had no problems with it, although it is a 'mixed' horse and hog.
The blade performed well enough, a little smoother than the first time.
And so to the Wesihi. This is one of the better quality ones, a full 7 Pounds 65 pence of quality (around 10 dollars). I've used (far) cheaper razors than this, and had good results. I'm generally not a fan of TTOs, and once I'd found it's angle - no mean feet and quite time consuming - it was ok, but just ok. Even against the grain (cheek and centre of neck) it's been quite a mild shave (but, no irritation, real or imagined). I've read (here) that it is like a 50-60s Superspeed, and although I've never used a Superspeed, I can (perhaps?) see why. Whether it's the advent of the stainless steel blade, or the opening of new markets that happened in the early 60s, Gillette would need a mild razor, something you could [ital] apply pressure with and not end up in pain. Something for beginners, that could also be mastered by veterans. If indeed the Weishi is like the Superspeed, then I think I would like the original.
Anyway, it looks cool, which is half the battle really isn't it?
The La Toja balm is great stuff, one of those smells I half like and half dislike, that gets under your skin (luckily).
I'm glad I chose a mild razor for the evening shave. The Weishi was just fine, but the real find was the Vicco. I cannot wait to use it again.
While I shaved I thought about how much easier it is to shave at night. I can take my time, and don't fear going over the same area over again as much, and maybe causing some irritation, because it's going to be fine by morning. If I had been using a more aggressive razor, I might have pushed it further, but as it was I could've done a dozen passes and still ended up this way. I shave in the kitchen. It means I don't take up our (very small) bathroom all to myself, and I noticed my neighbour, who was also standing at their kitchen sink. I waved and they waved back. I'm really very lucky to have this kind of life, and this as a hobby. Most hobbies make you smell worse, not better.

At the end of the first day: Two great shaves, I look good, I smell good, life ain't tough.

$c eve weishi total.png
$d eve creme n brush.png

Day two, shaves 3 and 4

Preparation: Just a shower + then washed my face with awesome Korres Bergamot Pear Showergel

Razor + Blade: Gillette Slim Twist (1970?) + Vintage Wilkinson Blade (3rd and final use) + 3 dollar shavette (with Rapira SS half blade) for trimming & shaping my moustache

Brush: Omega Mixed Midget

Soap/creme: Mitchells Wool Fat + spoonful of glycerine

Aftercare: Osma Bloc; Alum Water; Alcohol-free Witch Hazel; Rose Water (Styptic on stand-by). For more specific info, see my second post (link)
For detailed after care - see my second post

Aftershave: Nivea Originals Aftershave Balm (Original, not sensitive) + Alcolado & Florida Water

Comments: The Mitchell's was stunning as ever, and I didn't need the glycerine. I've never had a problem lathering Mitchell's - just lucky, or good water I s'pose.
The Mixed Midget is rapidly becoming my favourite brush, but I'm not sure why.
The razor (or maybe the blade, or both)... Wow, what a mess. I look like a burns victim, who's father was a biblical leper, and who's mother was a movie zombie. Blade, tossed. I'm bummed about that, because I love Wilkinson Sword, and "British Made: Made in England" is almost always a good thing (until about 1981). I'm ambivalent about the quality of NOS or 'vintage' blades. If blade choice is the most subjective thing, then maybe NOS blades just really suit some people, as much as a current brand would, but five times more expensive..?
For me, the angle on the later TTO gillettes is much easier to find while shaving up - from floor to ceiling, regardless of grain, so the second pass was better. And by better I mean "just painful, not agonising". I dunno why I chose this razor to use today, I'm much happier looking at it in it's box than in the mirror - and I HATE long handles.
Even with gentle aftercare, my neck is on fire.
Oh well, I'll get another try pretty soon.

'Tache shaping, with One Planet shave oil and Nivea Sensitive Shave foam (from a can) went very well, but the hairdryer I used to melt and shape the wax re-ignited my already smouldering neck. I look like Poirot's idiot half-brother... if he had a really bad shave.
--------
$a Morn todays shave photo.png
$b shavette.png

--------
Night -

Prep - Noxema + Shower

*Razor & Blade - Wilkinson Classic + Voskhod

Brush - Omega 48

*Soap/creme - One Planet Shave oil & Maca Root creme

Aftercare - Osma Bloc; Alum Water; Alcohol-free Witch Hazel; Rose Water (Styptic on stand-by). For more specific info, see my second post (link)
For detailed after care - see my second post

Aftershave - Shea Body Butter and Duru Limon.

Comments: If the Marines in 'Aliens' had used razors, they would've looked like the Gillette Classic. Infact, it wouldn't look out of place in many Sci-fi films. It's a very mild shave, but that is what was needed (I'll stop short on expanding my theory that irritated skin actually needs an aggressive razor. I wasn't gonna bleed on principle). The Classic was my first razor, bought with my own money when I was 16 (before that I had used Dad's 60s plug in electric). I have a much older one (70s), which is slightly more aggressive, but that's for another day. My original razor is long lost, but the one I used tonight was so cheap, I had to buy the same model I used as a teen, for the memories. The memories mostly involved standing and looking in a mirror, while shaving, so it was really better to buy it for the shaving.
The Omega 48 is ridiculously huge, but the one I have is coming along nicely. I've only used it a half dozen times, and it has split ends everywhere. That Sunday I spent watching an old movie, quietly thudding the bristle ends into my palm has paid off, even at the expense of annoying the wife. I've heard many younger guys (and I'm only 36) say "Happy wife, happy life". Yeah, after the first few years, it's more like "Happy wife... quiet life" Your Mileage May Vary.
One Planet is (almost) a dollar store shave oil here in the UK (I got 6 of them for around 13 dollars). It's very good, though you need a little more than most oils. It has a mentholy tingle that suits the linseed and camphor of the Noxema.
I'm constantly amazed (let's say 'surprised') at the quality of shaves I get with DE blades. If I'd used a cartridge blade, and had a shave as bad as the one I had this morning, my skin would be three days recovering. But I'm able to shave this evening withtout many problems. Skin is pretty tender tho'.

I went with the Shea Body Butter balm, 'cos I feel like it "repairs" my skin faster than anything else, and it smells great. Duru Limon is convenient, as we have a vat of it (around a pint) just sitting in the bathroom. I must try their new Madarine and Green Tea products.

End of day two - thoughts? - Only Wolverine could heal fast enough to have a really thorough shave tomorrow morning. I'm dreading it, a bit.
$c one planet eve.png
$alien shave.jpg

Oh lordie! Sounds like you're giving your face a run for its money. Great writing, I'm enjoying your journal! Hope you heal up fast. :)

My face is finally getting used to twice daily shaves, AND I SHAVED OFF MY MOUSTACHE FOR SUMMER ! I used a feather blade today, for the first time since I was an absolute beginner, and a fairly aggressive razor (Executive Shaving Bravehead). What an amazing shave - my face is so smooth I could surf to work on it, but a line of irritation where my neck meets my chest (and top lip, of course), even though I used a "denim strop" on the blade before hand. Still, it makes me want to use no blade other than Feather, which is daft. Used Maca Root - the Body Shop version, not the dozens of other soap companies that make a bewildering array of Maca Root formulations (^_-).
I never tire of bigging up 4711's cologne stick - It might be a bit low rent, but it's my most complimented cologne, and fits in my pocket.

I had my first Wardonia shave today. I haven't shaved for three days, an eternity for me, and especially long, because I'm commited to twice daily shaving for the month of June, so wanted to use an aggressive razor. I couldn't face the R41, my Braveheart "broke" this morning, so I thought "Och, give it a try".
I have two wardonias - both, more similar than they are different. Today I used the . Removing the tabs to make the blade fit took a few tries. The nail clippers didn't work, but just gripping the tabs with needle nose pliers and bending meant that the brittle metal snapped in just the right place. I used a fresh Wilkinson blade.
I figured a large blade gap would require a thick lather, so used Vicco Turmeric shave creme, which is like a face cloud, thick and slick.
I didn't have a great time of it. Although it's been a pretty close shave, it wasn't particularly smooth. I felt like I should have used a pre-shave oil & that it would be better for a daily shave than for a 3 day beard. I have - unusually - 3 or 4 weepers, and quite a bit of irritation. Now that I look at it in the cold light of day, I think using a steep 30 degree type angle was a mistake. The blade felt very "rigid", much more like an SE. I realise now that I should probably have used a shallow angle, but I thought that the safety bar should be in slight contact with my face, so that the grooves could guide the whicker. I think that is wrong, only the edge of the bar is in contact, so the grooves will not work at a steep angle. Darn. Next time.
View attachment 664725

Noxema + Hot shower + glycerine soap
Razor & Blade: BonnyWallace & Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Omega Mixed Midget
Creme: Nivea Shaving Creme
Aftershave: Nivea Originals Balm and Brut Splash
Saturday shave was a great shave - mostly BBS, and really, I'm just being picky + one weeper (a rare thing for me). Some lavender water arrived yesterday and it was fantastic on my skin after shaving. So, that adds to my "aftercare":- Alum water face rinse, then witch hazel, then lavender, then rose water. I smell like an Eastern Pasha of the 1001 Nights when I'm done.
I just use the head of The Executive Shaving Braveheart (Brave Head), with the great looking, but very cheap YUMA/ORAK/Long-Feng/Long-Hui handle. It's a very light handle, so could do with some weight (BBs?) and I've come to call the two in combination the "BonnyWallace" (Bonny: [Scot] Pretty, handsome / Wallace: [Scot PN] William Wallace "Braveheart"). It's an 'assertive' razor (6 out of 10..?), but I don't need to concentrate a little harder, as I do with the R41. 3 passes: XTG chin to chest, XTG chest to chin, and a 3rd, at a diagonal, XTG chest to chin. Great result...
But though the shave was very smooth, as always there is some irritation & some scareitation. For sure, it is far better than the Mach 3 days, but I wonder if I'll ever have a truly irritation free shave. Infact had two yesterday - with the Jagen David TTO, but I'd have got a closer shave taking off my shoe and trying to bang the whiskers back in.
Close seems to equal irritation.
Today I was struck by just how much pre and after shaving stuff I have. A large shelf in our refrigerator is taken up with the balms and waters and spray bottles of cologne and moisturisers and...Hey, at least it doesn't take me two hours to shave any more (with prep and aftercare, it's about 30 mins on a weekend). As always with these things, if you assume it's going to get better, it almost always does, and what I call "irritation" now, , I'd have called "The best shave of my life" before wet shaving.
$bonnybrave.png

BonnyWallace + Personna Platinum
Mitchell's Wool Fat
About half way through the month, and my skin has REALLY toughened up. I'm able to be more aggressive and take more "risks", especially in the evening, which is refining my technique. I've also been able to reduce the amount of satellite "stuff" I use to shave. :thumbup1:
Today however, was not refined. Today I look like I had expensive plastic surgery, using a cheap machete. Serious irritation from the morning shave, and a clumsy shave generally: A duelling scar across my cheek, a chunk out of my top lip, and painful irritation on my neck. I don't know why I persevere with Personna Platinum! They always feel blunt(ed) to me (UK PIF comin' up?!). I have the feeling that I'm allergic to platinum, it must be all the time my Mum spent in the platinum mines, pick-axe in hand, while she was carrying me :blink: . I doubt I'm allergic to platinum or nickel, but my two favourite blades are Teflon coated. Hmm...
I had an excellent, transcendently BBS shave yesterday...ain't that always the way..?
I'm not a clumsy person - you should see me eat, I'm like a little princess - but in the last week I have cut myself with 3 separate razor blades, dropped an alum block, and had two pretty maddeningly clumsy shaves. Hmmm... (again).
I wonder if a UK PIF thread ("The Wilkinson Wanderers") would be worth setting up?

May I just say: "R41!" (2013) ?!
I had to give my skin a break after that last shave. If you've been reading this thread you'll know that I had, until the 15th, been shaving twice daily. Although my face has really toughed up, my last shave was pretty disastrous (Gillette British-made bakelite handled Tech, with GSB). I love (let's say "I like") the bakelite handled Tech, and I want to love GSB, but they never work out in anything other than a shavette, and even then, only for shaping my long gone moustache. I get horrible re-growth stubble, almost always with GSB.
So I allowed some time to recover. And, boy, howdy, was it worth it...
It's been a while since I shaved with the R41, The Beast, The End of Days, The Wham Balm Thankyou Muhle, and because I've been trying out a variety of other razors for the past six months, I wanted to get away from it. But, I was in a hurry, and starting to look "Hobo-trim".
Today, I Noxema'd, hot shower, Vicco Turmeric Shaving Creme and a Wilkinson Sword blade. 15 minutes later, I wonder why I shave with anything else. BBS in two passes (rare), from a three day beard, zero irritation (unheardof) and Rhino skin balm. While I applied the alum, witch hazel, lavender, and rose waters I thought "Why am I doing this? No need.". My skin is in the same shape as it was before I shaved, no tightness, no irritation, nothin'.
Ghost shave.
I only pulled out The Beast because I was in a hurry, and was starting to look like a rail ridin' yeg.
The sad thing is that I'll have to go back to other razors for the rest of June. Pouts. But, at least, now I remember why I made the R41 my daily razor.

Update - second R41 shave o' the day.
I've always found the R41 pretty forgiving, and pretty smooth (I realise how that might sound), as long as I take the extra five minutes to concentrate that little bit harder. I much prefer razors where I can feel the blade (R41, Braveheart, Parker 97R). That gives me a far better "shock-absorb" feel/touch/response. Out of those three, the R41 is by far the most smooth - for me - which was a surprise at the time.

Top Bottom