What's new

2013 In Retrospect

Good evening all. I've been thinking about the past year, as tends to happen this time of the year, and all of the experiences that I've had with this hobby of ours'. It's been quite a year for me when I think back on it. While many here were planning for a shaving product purchase sabbatical at the beginning of 2013, I was bound and determined to acquire. Acquire in my case translates to "experience". To experience different products and appreciate the sights and smells..... the softness and firmness..... the cool feeling of steel..... the warm feeling of proper lather...... the burn and the the subsequent relief.

Some of the major goals (don't really know a better word) that I accomplished this year:

• I rounded out my brush collection. Well..... maybe. I now have two dozen shaving brushes and a collection offering a ton of variety and satisfaction. I would like to add a nice custom made M&F brush to it yet.... but no other real big plans now on the brush front. This year I will be looking to enjoy the collection I have, rather than focusing on adding to it. I may sell one or two.... but that isn't a huge priority of mine either.

• I was able to acquire quite a few vintage birthyear/quarter razors that were on my list. These razors remind me of loved ones, and while not necessarily always the best shavers, many of them remind me that vintage can keep up with the latest and greatest..... and sometimes the latest and greatest could learn from the vintage. They remind me of the wisdom of an older generation.... and help me maintain a respect for that wisdom.

• I bought most of the most modern stainless steel DE razors that were on my list..... except they just keep coming out with more (Thanks Stan :wink2: ) so while I was checking a Weber or a Tradere off my list, I kept having to add to the list at the same time. There are still a couple I'd like to try and I'm saving that for next year. As of right now, the Above the Tie Kronos M1 is my stainless steel DE razor of choice, but the other ones are not far behind. I'm truely impressed with the quality of all of these razors.

• I bought a straight razor this year. A Boker Edelweiss. It's a beauty.... but I have not gotten to the point of mastering the straight razor shave, and it's been months since I've shaved with it. Still, no plans of giving up on it..... and I consider myself fortunate to not have been afflicted with SRAD. That could've taken me down an entirely different path for this past year. Not that SRAD is a bad thing..... but as long as you're using them.... which I was not doing much of this past year.

• I got into the SE razor world. The Eversharp Schick Type G Injector is my favorite. I also have an Ever Ready 1912, 1924, and a Streamline Model. Really great, intuitive shavers.

• I got about all of the shave soaps I could possibly imagine. I'm not going to mince words here. I have WAY TOO MUCH shave soap. One of everything..... and a few of my favorites. I really honed in on what I like..... and tried many new soaps. There is no shortage of great shave soaps in this world. I don't want to hear any complaining from anyone you guys :001_tongu .

• While having acquired many aftershaves last year..... from lotions to creams to balms to milks..... I acquired some of the "higher end" products this year. Spending a lot of money on a bottle of aftershave may seem luxurious and decedant.... and to some extent, it is...... but when you go through a year previously and see what little distance that fluid line moved down the glass bottle, you realize: "Hey, this is going to last me a while". I went for some Floris, Penhaligon's, Guerlain, Dior, AdP, Santa Maria Novella, and so forth. Some are not as effective as the price tag would leave you to believe..... but some are simply joys to use.... and take the shaving experience to a new level. While Speick remains my favorite splash..... it's really nice to use some of these other great products to brighten my day.

• My face feels great! This may seem like an odd thing to say, but I've found sweet spot between "overgrooming" and "neglect". Traditional wetshaving, and the knowledge I've learned from the posts of other members on B&B, have allowed me to have a great feel and look to my face. It may seem small, but it makes a big difference everyday.

Well, those are the major items for the year for myself. Mostly, it's been a joy to share my experiences with traditional wet shaving with the rest of you, and to hear about your experiences as well. I've been the recipient of much generousity. Other members have lent me items to try and one even floated me a loan to buy a 1920 Gillette Old Type Bulldog off of the BST when I didn't have the cash at the time. What a great group of guys.

In retrospect, THANK YOU B&B. It's been a great year to be a wetshaver and to be a part of the B&B community! :thumbup1:

I'd love to hear from the rest of you guys. What were some of the more "memorable" shaving related products and experiences from 2013 for you?

Ben

Last edited:
I can say that I have always found great value in your posts Ben. Being recently retired, I am grateful to B&B and its' members for keeping me occupied during this transition in my life.

This is the 'Year of the Fat' for me.

Thanks men.

I just started traditional wet shaving almost a year ago. Started learning straights, had some issues and leaned to DEs now coming full circle, now using both depending on how I feel that day. Learning how to hone to maintain my straights. I found B&B last Summer and glad I did. This year was the year of building my shave den, as much as fulltiming in a RV will let me. I was afflicted by the various ADs and have a decent cache of goods, so much so that I've decided to join the 2014 Sabbatical, the only exception being if Joseph @ RazoRock brings out another LE brush as good as the Amici. I've learned a lot and enjoyed the discussions here and helping others as others have helped me. Now I can enjoy my shaves and the forums. Looking forward to many years of enjoying B&B!

I slowed down buying this year since I ran out of storage space. I worked on technical aspects of shaving and found that feathers are wonderful blades in my KRONA .

I should've also included that I 3017'ed a stick of Valobra. That was a neat experience. To start and finish a product from beginning to end without using another soap all the while. It was fun to follow the 3017 thread with the other guys..... and I really got to know the product very well. Shaving is neat in that it can be as much of a science as it is an art. Great experience. I'll probably do it again with another product this coming year. 2014 will be more about "using up product" for me rather than "acquiring product".

Ben

2013 - the year I switched to wetshaving. I went from getting terrible shaves from a wet/dry electric, to mediocre shaves from a DE, to now pretty darn good shaves from DE and SE razors.

2013 is the year that I got into "all of wet DE shaving"

i started out with a travel pack from AOS and a power fusion pro glide in Jan 2013 from electrics. When I noticed I was flipping over the cartridge to get the trimmer for touch ups, I went into AOS again to talk about it and that's when I got introduced to DE shaving. The sales lady at AOS suggested I watch some videos and search blogs. B&B along with other blogs / forums kept popping up. I got one of the VDH kits and I think I ended up destroying the brush (which is where SBAD is kicking it) while trying to "perfect" the lathering part.

Finally got the Muhle R89 (April)I'm using now and using the 9 blade sampler I got from shavenation (thanksgiving time). Dare I say that I'm loving shaving now, because even when working on the lather (10 months) I never got irritation on my neck (always got it from electrics).

Still experimenting with with blades and ATM I'm seeing how long a DFS / BSS will go for until I look weird / funny (to me).

Thanks B&B even though I've been here posting for a short time. I think I found a new hobby.

Top Bottom