What's new

1st Shave with Muhle R41

So today I received this beautiful razor:
$CAM00590.jpg
$CAM00600.jpg
$CAM00593.jpg

I had the 1st shave with it just 20 minutes ago,after my usual prep which consists basically in having a shower and applying some hair conditioner to my whiskers and let it do its think while I have a shower.
The soap was Arko,the brush was a Muhle STF V 2.0,lather monster btw,I had enough lather for 4 or 5 passes easily.
Yes I know,even a monkey with arthritis could lather up Arko,but even so... The blade was a fresh new Feather.

So I started my usual thing,3 passes, WTG/XTG/ATG.
The instant I started the 1st pass I thought: Is this even cutting the whiskers?? I couldn't believe how smooth it felt,and smooth wasn't exactly a word I was associating to the R41 until now,for some reason. I knew it was a very efficient razor,but THIS smooth too?? What a surprise!!

I did my usual 3 pass,but I feel,and next time I will try it, that I could have gotten away with 2 passes, WTG and ATG.
Nearly perfect BBS,easy,comfortable,no irritation,which the alum confirmed by giving me very little feedback.

What an amazing razor indeed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. From all of the comments and reviews that I've read about this razor, it appears that you either love it or hate it and there's not a lot in the middle.

I've only been wet shaving since July of 2013 but have fallen into DE shaving hook, line, and sinker. I'm rotating nine razors at the moment which include a Merkur 37C slant bar and, my newest addition, a FaTip Grande. My shaves with the FaTip have been WONDERFUL!! I feel like I'm getting close to being ready for the R41 and that it should be the next addition. I haven't considered the gold handle. It looks beautiful.

Congrats on the new addition and glad it's working out so well.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. From all of the comments and reviews that I've read about this razor, it appears that you either love it or hate it and there's not a lot in the middle.

I've only been wet shaving since July of 2013 but have fallen into DE shaving hook, line, and sinker. I'm rotating nine razors at the moment which include a Merkur 37C slant bar and, my newest addition, a FaTip Grande. My shaves with the FaTip have been WONDERFUL!! I feel like I'm getting close to being ready for the R41 and that it should be the next addition. I haven't considered the gold handle. It looks beautiful.

Congrats on the new addition and glad it's working out so well.

I just thought I would contribute some too,after all the helpful reviews I have read,yours included!
For now I will just use what I have for a while, a no name razor, a Slim, a 34C and now the R41,but my next one for sure will be either the 37C or the 39C, I have read amazing things about them too.

Great info --- thanks! I'm waiting for my R41 head to arrive and am really curious to see whether I fall into the lover or hater camp...

I just thought I would contribute some too,after all the helpful reviews I have read,yours included!
For now I will just use what I have for a while, a no name razor, a Slim, a 34C and now the R41,but my next one for sure will be either the 37C or the 39C, I have read amazing things about them too.

What angle were you using? I'm still trying to get the R41 to work well for me.

I have not yet used a feather in the R41 but have used Gillette Silver blue's and Gillette 7 O'clock super platinum black's with wonderful results and the blades last 3 to 4 shaves. The smooth shave this razor leaves you with feels so good and last quite some time.

Congrats on your razor and the shave!

Try placing the head on your face almost at a 90 degree and bring down the handle until you feel the blade. You should find the angle easier that way. Thinking about it, I barely feel the comb at all. I hope this helps.

Great info --- thanks! I'm waiting for my R41 head to arrive and am really curious to see whether I fall into the lover or hater camp...

Yes I will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts too,but I have a feeling you will love it!

Try to follow Grump's advice,it was good! Honestly I didn't give it too much thought, it was just natural,as it is with the 34C for example.

I have not yet used a feather in the R41 but have used Gillette Silver blue's and Gillette 7 O'clock super platinum black's with wonderful results and the blades last 3 to 4 shaves. The smooth shave this razor leaves you with feels so good and last quite some time.

Congrats on your razor and the shave!

Thank you, it is really a wonderful razor,and even though I still like the others I think I will be preferring the R41 for a while now.

Try placing the head on your face almost at a 90 degree and bring down the handle until you feel the blade. You should find the angle easier that way. Thinking about it, I barely feel the comb at all. I hope this helps.

So the head is perpendicular to my face (handle parallel)?

I believe so,but I will actually confirm that tomorrow. I didn't feel like going to the basement and pick the calipers,but I did roughly measured with a ruler and it seems to be almost 20mm width.

Do you have a penny to measure the width of the top cap? You could also look at the ends of the blade. The 2013 head is longer and covers the blade tabs.

Last edited:
Do you have a penny to measure the width of the top cap? You could also look at the ends of the blade. The 2013 head is longer and covers the blade tabs.

I can't be sure until I actually measure it right but I do think it is a 2013.
Here's a pic I just took:
$CAM00602.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the 2011 since I can see the blade tabs.

EDIT: After doing some more research and looking more closely at the end teeth, I agree with everyone else that it's a 2013 version.

Last edited:
So the head is perpendicular to my face (handle parallel)?

Try this.

Place the head of the razor against your cheek with the handle parallel to the floor, or 90 degrees to your face. Keep the head of the razor in contact with your skin at all times and rotate the handle down until you feel the blade contact the skin.

Well you might be right. To me it looks though that the blade exposure is not as much as the 2011, but I cannot tell how far that side tab is coming out. On my 2011 the side tab comes out quite a bit, while in the 2013 it still sticks out visibly but it is only a little bit.

That is a lovely Razor, I can feel the need to try one someday. Sounds like you hit it off first time. Hope it keeps going.

Cheers.

Well you might be right. To me it looks though that the blade exposure is not as much as the 2011, but I cannot tell how far that side tab is coming out. On my 2011 the side tab comes out quite a bit, while in the 2013 it still sticks out visibly but it is only a little bit.

I think I agree with you,it is the 2013,the blade exposure isn't all that much to be the 2011 and the side tabs come out approximately 1mm only,the picture might be misleading for that matter.

That is a lovely Razor, I can feel the need to try one someday. Sounds like you hit it off first time. Hope it keeps going.

Cheers.

Thanks Boaz!
I think you will also like it very much once you try it!

I've got a 2011 R41. It is a wonderfully close shaver. But I don't think this is a 2011. I haven't tried the 2013.

Top Bottom