What's new

12k troubles

My 2 cents based on what is admittedly a limited amount exerience.
I've found that the bevel factors in heavily towards smoothness. Sure - poor technique with the higher grits are another concern... but when I started focusing on step 1 and really paying attention; my shaves smoothed out big-time. Originally I focused on the finishing steps - thinking that had to be the issue. Eventually I worked a blade over and over and over. When I spent more time making sure that blade's bevel was spot-on perfect - it all fell into place. In fact - the effort to finish was reduced considerably and the smoothness of the shave went through the roof.
What I believe is that a wonky bevel that is sharpened to a higher degree will also show an increase in roughness.
I didn't want to believe that I didn't have the bevel-setting down, so this went on for a while. Then one day I had exhausted all options and went back to the beginning. Even though I beat the heck out of that raozrs spine during the process (looked like a railroad tie when the dust settled) I landed on a really fine bevel and an edge that shaved very very very very smoothly and it was also sharper then anything else.
I couldn't use the HHT to prove anything here - the razor cut my testing hairs (from an old brush) regardless. It was shave-testing that turned the tide of my misdirection.

Top Bottom