What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

My new aluminum Overlander arrived today.

full

I ordered it on February 9th; and today, March 20th it arrived via DHL. I think I might shave with it this evening. :)

The picture does not do the 3.5" Project X handle justice. It's really a cool looking handle.

My Overlander arrived today. 🙌

First shave was with 4 days growth. (Thick, course, curly hair)
I haven’t gone this long between shaves since I started shaving with a DE razor, wasn’t sure how well it would go.
Not only did the Overlander plow right through it, It’s my best shave to date. My neck & face feel amazing.
Passed over dicey spots like moles, Adam’s apple, etc like a dream.
The ATG pass… wow. I understand what everyone is talking about now.
It almost felt smoother than the WTG pass.

It’s more efficient than my other razors while somehow feeling safer and gentler. How is that even possible? The machining and tolerances are extremely impressive as well.

1 shave and it immediately became my new favorite razor.

IMG_4252.jpeg

I haven’t gone this long between shaves since I started shaving with a DE razor, wasn’t sure how well it would go.
Not only did the Overlander plow right through it, It’s my best shave to date. My neck & face feel amazing.

It’s more efficient than my other razors while somehow feeling safer and gentler. How is that even possible? The machining and tolerances are extremely impressive as well.

View attachment 1816124
Heh, it took me four shaves to figure it out. So my guess is, it will get even better. :) It's really a surprise how well it goes through multiple days growth. It's such a great razor. 🍻

I rarely go as long as 48 hours between shaves.

I've been experimenting with a Tatara Masamune as of late, and I noticed that in mowing down this 48 hour growth, and with a light touch, the razor was bouncing around on the first pass.

I never experienced this with either my brass or ss Overlander.

... Thom

March 22, 2024 Friday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Dorco Prime (1)
Soap: Murphy and Mc Neil The Great Bear
Brush: Omega 10066 boar
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Wow, this was an adventure shave! Everything worked out well, but the soap added an unpleasant dimension.

The good news: fabulous 3 pass shave, no weepers, etc. and no irritation. No alum or aftershave feedback

The not so good news: I used a soap sample provided by Murphy and Mc Neil. The first try to make lather made bubbles and no usable lather.
I dumped it out and started over. This time the lather was just ok. In use, the lather didn't have the slickness I always get with other soaps. It seemed to dry out a bit, too.

The most alarming part of using this soap was the burning sensation I got when I applied it. I hastened to get the passes over with and rinse the soap off. It was very unpleasant. I suspect that there may have been a serious issue with the formulation of this soap. I will look into sending the sample back to the maker for analysis. It was really bad.

In spite of the soap disaster, the shave was excellent. Returning to the Overlander after a few shaves with other razors, I am reminded of how perfect this razor is for me, and apparently for many others as well!

10/10 BBS

Enjoy your Friday!

SOTD 03_22_24.jpg

March 22, 2024 Friday shave

Blade: Dorco Prime (1)
Soap: Murphy and Mc Neil The Great Bear
Brush: Omega 10066 boar
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Wow, this was an adventure shave! Everything worked out well, but the soap added an unpleasant dimension.

The good news: fabulous 3 pass shave, no weepers, etc. and no irritation. No alum or aftershave feedback

The not so good news: I used a soap sample provided by Murphy and Mc Neil. The first try to make lather made bubbles and no usable lather.
I dumped it out and started over. This time the lather was just ok. In use, the lather didn't have the slickness I always get with other soaps. It seemed to dry out a bit, too.

The most alarming part of using this soap was the burning sensation I got when I applied it. I hastened to get the passes over with and rinse the soap off. It was very unpleasant. I suspect that there may have been a serious issue with the formulation of this soap. I will look into sending the sample back to the maker for analysis. It was really bad.

In spite of the soap disaster, the shave was excellent. Returning to the Overlander after a few shaves with other razors, I am reminded of how perfect this razor is for me, and apparently for many others as well!

10/10 BBS

Enjoy your Friday!

View attachment 1816491
Thankfully it was only a sample.

2nd shave with the aluminum Overlander.
•Perma-Sharp blade(2).

Gentlemen, this razor is shockingly good.
I can’t get over the machining tolerances, this is OCD level manufacturing.
Absolutely brilliant shave, best I’ve had to date. I love this thing.

I’ll certainly end up getting the stainless steel version, even though I prefer lighter razors and will probably favor the aluminum. I might just use the ss head and put the aluminum handle on it 🤔

IMG_4320.jpeg

March 24, 2024 Sunday shave

Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
Soap: Razorock New York
Brush: Maggard marble handle synthetic
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

This was a three pass shave on 48 hours growth. The shave was excellent in every way.
The Overlander, once again, provided a super close, but easy on the skin shave. So gratifying!
No weepers, etc. and no irritation. No alum feedback.

10/10

Have a great day!

SOTD 03_24_24.jpg

After spending time with the Lambda Athena, my takeaway is that the Overlander aluminum will remain my main (and only DE) razor for the foreseeable future. I've called the Athena a jewel, and it is in most every aspect. And it costs nearly as much. If I had the money, then maybe I'd consider adding it to the kit, but the reality is that I can't get there from here. Its build quality is exceptional, and the extra efficiency it provides is welcome, but the Overlander's lighter weight is a comfort, its efficiency level is more than adequate for my needs, and its smoothness is still tops. For me.

I'm thankful to have gotten the chance to experience the Athena. It deserves its accolades. I'm equally glad the Overlander works as well as it does; it had become literally my last hope on the DE horizon. Certainly a great razor in its own right.

Top Bottom