What's new

Anyone into hankerchiefs ?

I think they went out of style for actual use with the advent of more hygienic disposable tissues. Who wants to carry soggy snot bombs around? It's like one step up from a dirty diaper. I guess as a fashion accessory for the snappy dresser a dress hanky is a necessity. Maybe offer it to a lady if she has to dab a tear or something. It's more classy than just tossing her a pack of Kleenex. :nono:

Legion

Staff member
I usually carry one, just plain cotton. I don't often blow my nose on it, as I don't want to walk around with a pocket full of snot, but they do come in handy for various things. From mopping my brow when it is hot, to drying my hands if there is no paper towels left in the gents.

I agree. You should always have one with you. Sweat...gone, no towels in the bathroom...handled, lady in distress...obviously, and color coded flag...maybe, and so much more!

Fill with pennies and make an impromptu life preserver.
Fill with ice cubes for a cold compress
Use as a white flag and surrender
A miniature Jolly Roger! (black hanky only)
Tie off a bleeding finger
Use as a gag (might also need duct tape)
Cover your canary to make him fall asleep.
Plug a hole in your canoe.
Use as a pall for your dead hamster or goldfish.
Hanky magic tricks for the kids!

Last edited:
I've tried carrying them but now do so very inconsistently. Since I don't wear a jacket everyday, it depends a lot on my pants. Looser then yes, but with jeans it's hard.

Pocket square yes, handkerchief no. My dad still carries one, and from a very young age thought it was a little gross. I preferred the tissues from mom's purse. The lady-in-distress is the only thing I can get behind, but I would reserve it for that.

my father always carried a handkerchief. I never do. I think hotwheels is onto the reason.

I think they went out of style for actual use with the advent of more hygienic disposable tissues. Who wants to carry soggy snot bombs around? It's like one step up from a dirty diaper. I guess as a fashion accessory for the snappy dresser a dress hanky is a necessity. Maybe offer it to a lady if she has to dab a tear or something. It's more classy than just tossing her a pack of Kleenex. :nono:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes, I carry one. In my work environment a kleenex is not always available but I seldom use it for a snot rag. If so, it just goes in the laundry and I grab a fresh one. Dust storms are frequent. Sweaty here in the summer. Nice and cool when it's wet down in a water fountain. Wipe off the lunch table.

Always carry one. I bought several shirts from my local thrift store and had a seamstress cut out the back of them,then sewed the edges. Look great. There are no pics with this reply, and yes it did happen.

Yes, I carry one. In my work environment a kleenex is not always available but I seldom use it for a snot rag. If so, it just goes in the laundry and I grab a fresh one. Dust storms are frequent. Sweaty here in the summer. Nice and cool when it's wet down in a water fountain. Wipe off the lunch table.

You really ned to get a shemagh as an all-purpose cloth.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have never carried one. I probably should carry an emergency one, for when tissue is not handy. I'd probably throw it away after use, because I wouldn't want to carry a soiled one in my pocket.

I carry them daily. Here are a pic of mine in rotation. I keep it in my back pocket.

$20160714_190357.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Fill with pennies and make an impromptu life preserver.
Fill with ice cubes for a cold compress
Use as a white flag and surrender
A miniature Jolly Roger! (black hanky only)
Tie off a bleeding finger
Use as a gag (might also need duct tape)
Cover your canary to make him fall asleep.
Plug a hole in your canoe.
Use as a pall for your dead hamster or goldfish.
Hanky magic tricks for the kids!

... guaranteed to break the ice at parties!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are handy. I sometimes wear one around my neck as a scarf in winter. A bit big to stuff into your pocket in the summer, however.

I got one so I'd blend in when visiting Yemen, which is not exactly the most tourist-friendly place. Sand, goats, khat and AK-47s!

Last edited:
I only carry one when I'm on business in Asia. A lot of restrooms outside the USA don't have paper or driers.

Top Bottom