What's new

Beer drinkers in the UK

If you fancy trying an IPA in the American style at a bargain price.......

Tesco have Brew Dog Punk IPA on offer at 99p for a 330ml bottle

ABV 6.0%

Similar to Harpoon IPA and Goose Island IPA from the US

Brewed in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

ABV 6.0%

Wow... "on offer." It certainly makes more sense than "on sale" as we Americans say, but it just sounds... so... quaintly British. :lol:

99p? That's about $1.80 in our cash? That's crazy... I'd never pay $10.80 for a six-pack of anything, especially 11.2oz bottles (its generally 12oz/355mL in the US).

Oh, and although neither one of us (MCFC 6-0 Portsmouth) had much of a challenge this week, 'grats on beating the beleaguered Geordies. :wink2:

ABV 6.0%

Your joking!?!

99p? That's about $1.80 in our cash? That's crazy... I'd never pay $10.80 for a six-pack of anything, especially 11.2oz bottles (its generally 12oz/355mL in the US).

For a six-pack, sure, that's a high price.

I've bought single bottles (usually 550ml, though) for $4.50 to $5, and even more than that (I think the most I paid for a beer was $6.50 for a 12oz bottle of some sort of trappist ale) for some high-end beers.

I wouldn't expect to pay that much for something on the level of Newcastle though; I'm talking Samuel Smiths, large bottles of special-release American microbrews, stuff that you don't really WANT to drink more than a pint or two at a sitting anyway.

And around here, I'd expect to pay $4.50 for a pint of Newcastle or Bass in a bar (2.46 GBP); those are really the most available English beers I have found (can buy them in just about any grocery store, and any bar that has more than just Bud and Miller will at least have one or the other in bottles, if not on tap). A six pack would run about $9.

ABV 6.0%

I'll have to give this a shot, I'mm off to tesco at some point today

I'll give it a go, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm always surprised to hear that Newcastle ("Newkie" here) is so popular in the US, as it's considered pretty rough in the UK. The company must be thanking their lucky stars that their product is being loved abroad!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Wow... "on offer." It certainly makes more sense than "on sale" as we Americans say, but it just sounds... so... quaintly British. :lol:

Oh, and although neither one of us (MCFC 6-0 Portsmouth) had much of a challenge this week, 'grats on beating the beleaguered Geordies. :wink2:

Thanks Pat,

Nice to see Jermaine Iscariot on the losing side :biggrin:

How much would you pay for

Harpoon IPA
Goose Island IPA
Victory HopDevil
etc....?

Around here a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale goes for $8.99; I've not seen the brews you mention, but that's a well-known and very good micro from California (I'm in Michigan). Same price as the typical imports like Newcastle, Bass, and Becks.

Newcastle is popular because it's better than most "big" American beers, readily available, and it's cheap compared to, say, Samuel Smith. A six pack of Newcastle isn't going to break the bank, though it is going to be several dollars more than a six pack of Bud. Most American micros that are good enough to get out of their home county are just as good, if not better, but they tend to be just as expensive, and not available in 12 packs.

Thanks Pat,

Nice to see Jermaine Iscariot on the losing side :biggrin:

How much would you pay for

Harpoon IPA
Goose Island IPA
Victory HopDevil
etc....?

I don't think I've ever paid more than $9 for a sixer personally. The above depending on the retail outlet I'd expect to pay about 8 and change.

For comparison, for me Stella Artois and Newcastle are about $8 for a sixer.

I'm remembering that's about what they are in my hometown of Ann Arbor. Closer to Detroit the prices are higher. Not sure if fewer people drink that "fancy stuff" here or what, but prices are higher and selection is sparser in the grocery stores, and prices are MUCH higher in the "Fine beer and wine" stores.

I'll give it a go, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm always surprised to hear that Newcastle ("Newkie" here) is so popular in the US, as it's considered pretty rough in the UK. The company must be thanking their lucky stars that their product is being loved abroad!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I love these types of posts about beer - in Canada, beers that are very ordinary/working class in their home countries are marketed as "premum" products - Heineken, Grolsch, Newcastle, Stella, Corona (you get the picture) sell for as much as the excellent locally-made craft brews!

Well, the county I act in acts as the distributor for alcohol, which jacks the price up. I generally have to pay between $10-$15 for a sixer of craft brew. I generally try to stock up when I'm elsewhere, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $9 for a sixer personally. The above depending on the retail outlet I'd expect to pay about 8 and change.

For comparison, for me Stella Artois and Newcastle are about $8 for a sixer.

Look for Oskar Blues "Gordon's" (the ones in a can). Its an IIPA and costs about 11 for 4 pack.

I'm in Glasgow and it's brewed north of here so maybe it's stocked as a local beer?

I've bought it in two stores in Stoke, so definitely not local :lol:

According to Brew Dog's website, it's available in 415 stores (Probably the larger ones)

It's in a new 99p/330ml section that includes Marston's Pedigree and Newcastle Brown (Far superior to both of these IMHO)

Best of luck, it's well worth the search :a17:

Top Bottom