What's new

#15 parade

Well gents my silver plated, wingless, pre-15, British Aristocrat, first British TTO?, arrived safely this morning from overseas. Has a real nice patina but it was a little grubby. Did the Dawn and hot water soak. Brushed it up with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and lightly buff dry with a microfiber. I also did my best Captain Murphy impression. Bought some nylon tipped pliers and straightened the two corner teeth. The teeth in all 4 corners are paired. I just grabbed the two teeth and applied light pressure counterclockwise and it lifted them right back into place. Leaving the whole row perfectly parallel. That was sketchy but I had to do it. Ha. The seller didn't mention it and it wasn't apparent in the pics. Return overseas seemed like a nightmare. Not an issue now. :thumbup1: The rest of the razor is flawless except for the patina and light surface scuffs typical of any used razor. The case is also in decent condition. I vacuumed it and then used a very light damp cloth to wipe down the inner liner, then blow dry. Wiped down the outer case w water and dried. I am going to toss a few pics so don't get angry. By he first is before cleaning. The rest are various glamour shots and some others with the silver patina family and one of a rhodium 16 versus silver patina. There is also a pic of the pliers I used to CAP this thing. This is for DaltonGang! Then the final pic is my inspiration for keeping my silver razors all blacked up. It reminds me of my ABC Gun Metal case, which I love. The irredescent rainbow shimmer of gun metal and silver patina does it for me. :lol:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 132
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 132
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 132
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 133
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 132
Very, very nice. I like the pliers idea, for the teeth. How would you straighten uneven doors, on these?

if you can get the set screw out of the handle and remove the doors for inspection you will likely find the culprit. It could be crud in the handle or a loose crimp on the door rod, etc. It may even be the bent teeth. The teeth would be much easier to work on as well. I was able to straighten the teeth on mine with the doors on by opening the doors as far as the would go before falling open. In CAPs thread on OC disassembly there are a many pics and discussions on the removing the screws. Once you get the door assembly out just check it to make sure everything is squared up. Another likely culprit is the wings that hold the doors. I have seen these things really bent (usually upwards. They should be parallel. If you can get the door assembly out you can pinch the tabs with your pliers and make everything straight and flush.

Last edited:
The razors are splendid Brent! My favorite way to clean the case interior is to blow it out with compressed air (gently) then use a little Febreeze to tame the old smells inside Good job!

The razors are splendid Brent! My favorite way to clean the case interior is to blow it out with compressed air (gently) then use a little Febreeze to tame the old smells inside Good job!

Thank you sir! Ahh the old smell! Ha. My display cabinet with all my cased razors has that smell every time I open it. It smells vintage. :lol: I also use the compressed air cans for electronics to spray out dust and other stuff. The vacuum worked even better with the crevice tip installed.

I am contemplating polishing the knurls on this one to make it a two tone since it still looks grubby due to the uneven patina. Not sure though.

Update.

Just finished using some flitz on the knurls only with a toothbrush. WOW. It turned out way better than I could expect. Beautiful shiny dark grey w/ blue patina head and neck and bottom collar with silvery shimmer in the knurls now. The uneven blotchy patina on the handle is gone. This is my new favorite razor to look at. Shaves pretty nice as well. Used it this morning for a nice DFS/BBS on the neck. Growing a beard right now for fun. Here are the updated pics. What do you think of the 2-tone?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 93
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
That handle shined right up. I would be tempted to shine up the head as well. The patina will always come back if you don't like the shine.

That handle shined right up. I would be tempted to shine up the head as well. The patina will always come back if you don't like the shine.

Flitz is freaking magic on silver. Ha. I am now tempted to go all the way with it but I think I'll enjoy it as is for a few weeks and see how I feel. Pictures don't do it justice. Well my picture taking skills don't do it justice that is. I was a little scared there might be some brassing within the blotchy patina in the knurls since it was uneven but nope. :thumbup1:

Brent have you ever done the tin foil/baking soda trick? I'm always afraid of rubbing off the silver.

I have used it on many razors. It works fairly well at removing most of the tarnish. You have to do it several times as well. I always end up doing a light final polish with Maas or Flitz though to finish the job and get it to shine. It gets the tarnish but the silver is usually still dull. The knurling also needs extra attention with Polish and a toothbrush even after the trick, especially the old types. I have never exposed brass on any silver or nickel plated razors with Maas or flitz. I just put a little on, massage it around for 15 seconds then buff it right off. For knurling I put a pea size blob on a damp toothbrush. Brush the knurling all over for 20 seconds then brush it off under hot water. I then add dawn soap and keep brushing. Then microfiber. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
Have you tried Goddard's Silver Polish? I like it in both the Dip and the Foam, followed by a warm water rinse and Scrubbing Bubbles with an electric toothbrush. No rubbing required at all with the Dip, and very light with a damp cloth with the Foam to work up a lather like you would with hand soap, and the Dip is particularly effective in those hard to reach places like inside a razor's head and between the teeth of the OC.

I've used regular Goddards, with a toothbrush. It tends to be less abrasive than Flitz, and works better on silver, for me.
Followed by a warm soapy watery scuba, with a toothbrush.
Almost forgot. I ordered the nylon tipped pliers.

Ok all you peer pressurers. Went and got some Goddards liquid tonight and took it all the way. All I can say is thanks! This baby sparkles now from head to toe. Underneath the tarnish is an excellent condition silver pre 15. Here she is all shined up. I put the rhodium 16 out there so you can really see the transformation.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 69
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 70
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 97
Ok all you peer pressurers. Went and got some Goddards liquid tonight and took it all the way. All I can say is thanks! This baby sparkles now from head to toe. Underneath the tarnish is an excellent condition silver pre 15. Here she is all shined up. I put the rhodium 16 out there so you can really see the transformation.
attachment.php

As the Brits would say: "jolly good show". :thumbup1:

I know this is a #15 thread but I really want a #16

I apologize for including the 16 in the 15 thread. The sad thing is My whole contribution to this is not even about a 15! It's a pre 15. :lol: Get a 16. They are pretty nice. Since they are rhodium you won't have to deal with tarnish. The 16 will look the same many years from unlike that tarnished thing I picked up. One last transformation summary and inspirational photo op for you John! Thanks everyone for the advice and pressure to bring this one back to life.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Top Bottom