What's new

#15 parade

Brent You are such an enabler LOL:thumbup:, hows the G20 working out?

Dave,

I was just saying that the antique hunters in the UK need to get out there and find them so us B&Br's have a chance to buy more and put them in the parade. Ok maybe that is a bit of enabling. Or was it the good looking razor part? HA.

The G20 is awesome man. Warm lather is a pretty cool luxury. As you may know I ordered a custom barber handle brush from Rudy to to use with it. The brushes I have work but that bowl is big and deep. Ha. Like I needed an excuse to get another brush? Too bad it won't be ready until next month. Darn custom knots from Germany.

Dave,

I was just saying that the antique hunters in the UK need to get out there and find them so us B&Br's have a chance to buy more and put them in the parade. Ok maybe that is a bit of enabling. Or was it the good looking razor part? HA.

The G20 is awesome man. Warm lather is a pretty cool luxury. As you may know I ordered a custom barber handle brush from Rudy to to use with it. The brushes I have work but that bowl is big and deep. Ha. Like I needed an excuse to get another brush? Too bad it won't be ready until next month. Darn custom knots from Germany.

Yes, I found that my rubberset 400 and my huge Omega 6242 were to the only ones that were not knuckle busters, and the enabling comment was pointed at you after our PM discussion with you and John before I had my ebay meltdown and finally found one in the wild LOL:lol:, glad you are enjoying the Scuttle

Yes, I found that my rubberset 400 and my huge Omega 6242 were to the only ones that were not knuckle busters, and the enabling comment was pointed at you after our PM discussion with you and John before I had my ebay meltdown and finally found one in the wild LOL:lol:, glad you are enjoying the Scuttle

Ohhh...that discussion. Glad you were able to get yours. They are not easy to obtain. I am glad to have one back in my collection. I was #15-less for a few weeks. I think they might be one of the coolest looking razors ever made. They shave pretty well too.

Loving a good parade

$Magnolia Brass Band New Orleans  animation.gif

It's hard to compete with John's parade above this post... but here's my new #15. It's made for the French market, but I don't have one of the really cool cases for it. But it shaves really sweet even without a case!

I figured this thread would be the perfect place to find a few answers, since the Seller listed it as a #15 - I won this razor the other week, and I now have it in hand (I'm using the listing pic cuz the Seller is a much better photog than me):
proxy.php

Difficult to see from the listing pic, but the inner case liner looks exactly like the example mr-razor.com shows as a 1948-1952 British Aristocrat, without a set # designator:
proxy.php

A coupla questions:

1)Mine is clearly a 2nd generation British Aristocrat but Achim shows this same case with a 3rd gen razor and lists it simply as a 1948-1952 British Aristocrat. Do we know any more, like was the case used with more than one model razor? Could the case have been made for a specific export market (since no set #designator)? Mine was listed as NOS but it came with no shipper, so I guess I don't know it to be true and correct. IOW, do I have a frankenset?

2)The instruction insert shows an OC on its front but the razor is a SB - normal or mis-match?

I've seen 2nd Gen razors in these cases before and IMO there's no reason to think what you have there is a frankenset.

The instructions are not mismatched, in fact I wouldn't expect to see a safety bar razor printed there, I don't think it exists, they used the same instruction sheets in the 1st and 2nd Gen sets.

The cardboard insert is clearly not from a 1st Gen set (the colors would be different), and the instructions are not from a 3rd Gen set, that leaves us with a very nice 2nd Gen set. Also the fact that we've seen these sets before clearly indicates that your set is original, IMO.

Congrats, Dan, beautiful set. :thumbup1:

I've seen 2nd Gen razors in these cases before and IMO there's no reason to think what you have there is a frankenset.

The instructions are not mismatched, in fact I wouldn't expect to see a safety bar razor printed there, I don't think it exists, they used the same instruction sheets in the 1st and 2nd Gen sets.

The cardboard insert is clearly not from a 1st Gen set (the colors would be different), and the instructions are not from a 3rd Gen set, that leaves us with a very nice 2nd Gen set. Also the fact that we've seen these sets before clearly indicates that your set is original, IMO.

Congrats, Dan, beautiful set. :thumbup1:
Thanks again for another confirmation, Edgar! Colors on a 1st gen insert - blue & green? It's maddening to try and digest all of the clues to be looking for :blink:

Agree w/ Edgar here. I dug around and found similar discussions (Is it a #21 or transitional #15) on other forums. Unfortunately, the evidence (pictures of cases, instructions) has long since been scrubbed. Here is one I found that has links to other discussions. Ecellent pick up regardless.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/325598-A-New-Year-and-a-new-mint-Aristocrat-21
It was a real hoot chasing and reading all of the historical threads - thanks for posting them, Brent! I also find it amazing how far the collective knowledge base has grown in just a few short years. From no clear definition of the 4 (or 5) generations of the Brits in 2008, even still confusion in 2013 about 15's & 21's, to quite a definition today of the razors, sets, instructions, shippers, even insert colors <lol> Wow, just WOW!

They didn't have a guy like Porter back in 2008. [emoji38] And most of the time what causes the confusion is the fact that people still associate the numbers with the razors, when in fact they refer to the set as a whole.

If anything, they refer more to the cases than to the razors. That's why there's two #15 sets, 1st and 2nd Gen. There's an old ad in that thread Brent linked, showing the #21 and #15 sets, both with 2nd Gen razors, and as Porter said, there's no reason to think the #15 (2nd Gen) was sold only in Australia.

IIRC, they changed the colors of the inserts and shippers in 1939, before that they were blue and green.

They didn't have a guy like Porter back in 2008. [emoji38] And most of the time what causes the confusion is the fact that people still associate the numbers with the razors, when in fact they refer to the set as a whole.

If anything, they refer more to the cases than to the razors. That's why there's two #15 sets, 1st and 2nd Gen. There's an old ad in that thread Brent linked, showing the #21 and #15 sets, both with 2nd Gen razors, and as Porter said, there's no reason to think the #15 (2nd Gen) was sold only in Australia.

I took that to heart early on, and this black liner set has left me hanging, since one of the posts in Brent's linked threads mentions the black liner case being associated most with the #21 (looks like a mod deleted the link which was to another forum), while most pictures showed the purple liner, and Achim's ad showed the clam shell case. So what the heck is a #21? :lol:

IIRC, they changed the colors of the inserts and shippers in 1939, before that they were blue and green.

Thought so, thanks.

I took that to heart early on, and this black liner set has left me hanging, since one of the posts in Brent's linked threads mentions the black liner case being associated most with the #21 (looks like a mod deleted the link which was to another forum), while most pictures showed the purple liner, and Achim's ad showed the clam shell case. So what the heck is a #21? :lol:

Thought so, thanks.

Dan,

Why you throwing me under the bus. :lol: My first violation of the TOU (Section 6a). Oops. I also thought I read somewhere that your case was associated with the #15 as well. Not sure "where" I read it though.

Top Bottom