What's new

My Guess... 3017

strop

Now half as wise
Wooohoooo!!!!! Have you been using it exclusively?

I love seeing MdC get used up. It pulls the unicorn breath out of the sails of people constantly chanting that it lasts forever.

Yes exclusive of a couple of missed days and some travel with a Palomolive stick, but the shave count is accurate.

I absolutely have experienced the same as others have pointed out above. My usage has increased as it becomes softer, and without trying have often overloaded the brush. I would guess it might be possible to get 200 shaves if one was very attentive to just loading enough, and maybe doing just a 2 pass shave

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tabac lasts twice as long for me as MdC, just because Tabac lends itself to proper loading, whereas MdC is so easy to load, it's normal to heavily overload a brush, like it or not, that is partly why it's so easy to lather. It wouldn't surprise me to see someone get 200ish shaves out of it, but the claims of daily shaves for 2 years I disbelieve.
I had 16g of it split between unscented and fougere. I averaged 0.8g/shave when I 3017'd both of them mashed together. They were in an open bowl and dried out completely between uses. I would certainly expect 200+ uses from a jar for me based on that, which is a lot, but again not unicorn territory by any stretch.

To compare I averaged 1.8g/shave with both King Louis and a Stirling soap that I 3017'd. Doing those a second time I might actually use less though, I was significantly over-loading at the start and scaled way back toward the end after I had the lather dialed in.

Looks like my Cella is giving up the fight....won't be long now...

$IMG_2021.JPG

Worth a shot if you aren't super sensitive. I recall one of the TFS soaps (orange something) lit me up because of cinnamon, but I get no reaction to 5am; there's really very little in there. I did have to stop shaving with Cinn Girl though. Using it a few days in a row caused a rosacia looking effect on my throat.
It'll definitely get its fair shot! I'm excited to try it.

My gram scale came today! Now I feel like real 3017er. Well, except for the using one soap from start to finish part. The scale is needed for my next 3017 project. I'll explain in a few days, once the PPF is gone.

My every day driver is a '66 Gillette Slim that I restored several years ago with an Astra SP. Weekends I use my grandfathers straight that I also restored a number of years ago. Today I dug out a razor I haven't used in about a year, an EJ DE89 Barley. I forgot what a nice little razor these are. Damn near does the shaving for you. I dropped a feather blade in and had one of those shaves where it seems like you're just wiping the whiskers off with a damp towel. Effortless...no drama...just the way I like it. I also put the SOC boar away and dug out my Omega 10098 Big Pro. I thought I might as well continue hitting the Mikes with a big old boar. I think I will stick with this combo for several days just for a change. If I was trying to get someone started on DE shaving I think I would point them to an EJ DE89 to start with. Just a great all around whisker whacker.

Mikes is still going strong...guessing I'm about 2/3 of the way through although with the brush swap its difficult to say. The Omega can really tear into a water-logged soap as the Mikes currently is.

Cheers!

My every day driver is a '66 Gillette Slim that I restored several years ago with an Astra SP. Weekends I use my grandfathers straight that I also restored a number of years ago. Today I dug out a razor I haven't used in about a year, an EJ DE89 Barley. I forgot what a nice little razor these are. Damn near does the shaving for you. I dropped a feather blade in and had one of those shaves where it seems like you're just wiping the whiskers off with a damp towel. Effortless...no drama...just the way I like it. I also put the SOC boar away and dug out my Omega 10098 Big Pro. I thought I might as well continue hitting the Mikes with a big old boar. I think I will stick with this combo for several days just for a change. If I was trying to get someone started on DE shaving I think I would point them to an EJ DE89 to start with. Just a great all around whisker whacker.

Mikes is still going strong...guessing I'm about 2/3 of the way through although with the brush swap its difficult to say. The Omega can really tear into a water-logged soap as the Mikes currently is.

Cheers!

I have to totally agree with you on the EJ DE89. It's a great razor. For me, it works much better than most vintage razors. And the fit and finish is spot on.

I have to totally agree with you on the EJ DE89. It's a great razor. For me, it works much better than most vintage razors. And the fit and finish is spot on.

I have a soft spot for old TTO Gillette's. The nickel plated brass and design of them is industrial, I like them a lot. But...the finish on those EJ's sure is pretty. They don't shave quite as close as I normally like, but its a fast easy shave and you can always toss in an extra pass if needed. Just a nice change of pace.

Speaking of a change of pace....I received an odd text message from my wifes brother who lives in Italy. He asked how I liked the soap he had shipped me. My wife was sitting next to me when I got the message so I asked her what he was talking about before I had responded to the text. It became immediately clear my bro in-law had almost spilled the beans. Apparently the package that arrived earlier today and was hidden in an unknown location by SWMBO is part of a fathers day gift. So...I know its shaving soap...I know its Italian....I am sure its a product not easily found in the US or she wouldn't have bothered having her brother ship it. Dunno....PannaCrema recently released Nuavia. Other than that it could be an artisanal soap I haven't heard of. Hell maybe its just a tub of Cella and I'll have to act all surprised when I open it. :001_smile Well, whatever it is it will be wonderful and I may have to change my 3017 schedule a bit come June.

So, I've been away from B&B for quite a long time. I used to brag that I'd read this thread start to finish twice, but that was when the entire thing was 120 pages! Now, I'm seeing that the 3017 is over 600 on the standard view. That's quite impressive!

I think my signature says that I'm still using DR Harris Windsor, but I killed that puck sometime in 2014 and I can't remember when.

Now I'm low on supplies--I only have a small amount of TOBS Eton College left from my original buying surge in 2012/2013--and have started to reorder things I like. The 3017 treatment really helps identify the perfect ratio for each soap/cream, and clearing out my stash is welcomed by SWMBO. Off to buy some supplies! :tongue_sm

The pannacrema lavandotto I've been working on since 3/15 is in the final throes. 10 seconds of loading this morning caused it to bust into a bunch of pieces that I tried to smash back together. I left the lid off hoping it'll dry out a bit and last through the weekend.

I think I'm going to go on a sample bender 3017 style after this. I have a ton of samples. I've had a couple of multi month 3017s lately and I think a series of fast kills will hit the spot.

So, I've been away from B&B for quite a long time. I used to brag that I'd read this thread start to finish twice, but that was when the entire thing was 120 pages! Now, I'm seeing that the 3017 is over 600 on the standard view. That's quite impressive!

I think my signature says that I'm still using DR Harris Windsor, but I killed that puck sometime in 2014 and I can't remember when.

Now I'm low on supplies--I only have a small amount of TOBS Eton College left from my original buying surge in 2012/2013--and have started to reorder things I like. The 3017 treatment really helps identify the perfect ratio for each soap/cream, and clearing out my stash is welcomed by SWMBO. Off to buy some supplies! :tongue_sm

Welcome back!

I have a soft spot for old TTO Gillette's. The nickel plated brass and design of them is industrial, I like them a lot. But...the finish on those EJ's sure is pretty. They don't shave quite as close as I normally like, but its a fast easy shave and you can always toss in an extra pass if needed. Just a nice change of pace.

Speaking of a change of pace....I received an odd text message from my wifes brother who lives in Italy. He asked how I liked the soap he had shipped me. My wife was sitting next to me when I got the message so I asked her what he was talking about before I had responded to the text. It became immediately clear my bro in-law had almost spilled the beans. Apparently the package that arrived earlier today and was hidden in an unknown location by SWMBO is part of a fathers day gift. So...I know its shaving soap...I know its Italian....I am sure its a product not easily found in the US or she wouldn't have bothered having her brother ship it. Dunno....PannaCrema recently released Nuavia. Other than that it could be an artisanal soap I haven't heard of. Hell maybe its just a tub of Cella and I'll have to act all surprised when I open it. :001_smile Well, whatever it is it will be wonderful and I may have to change my 3017 schedule a bit come June.

Maybe its a soap from a little old master barber that makes his soap in house. He only makes it to use in his shop. Not sold anywhere but your BIL convinced him to sell him a pancetta. Wow I just became terribly jealous.

Maybe its a soap from a little old master barber that makes his soap in house. He only makes it to use in his shop. Not sold anywhere but your BIL convinced him to sell him a pancetta. Wow I just became terribly jealous.

Likely nothing that spectacular. But SWMBO does take gift giving quite seriously, so you never know.

I was right...the Omega '98 really carved into the tin of Mikes this AM. I had enough lather for about 8 passes.

Just started 3017'ing a new puck (and a bit more grated) of a new favorite (Haslinger) and after many years of switching things up I am really enjoying dialing in the soap and the simplicity of the process. I don't see a soap a month getting stale at all and it beats out having 30 or more soaps in the den which, looking back, was just becoming odd. Nice to be here!

I saw above the posts on the Edwin Jagger. My daily razors are the RR Baby Smooth & Stealth V1 but I am up in Toronto for work this week and ordered an EJ Kelvin from Amazon to take along. Its been years since I used one. Wow. The little Kelvin (and the 34C) are just great razors no matter the material. It handles a days growth to a weekend forest with ease. I don't see the 89/34C DE's as just beginner razors...just damn good ones.

Started a 2/3-full tub of TOBS Avocado. Is it me, or does it smell like strong perfume? I don't remember that the last time I used it.

Top Bottom