What's new

My Guess... 3017

Started a 2/3-full tub of TOBS Avocado. Is it me, or does it smell like strong perfume? I don't remember that the last time I used it.
It's fairly (or more) synthetic, is that what you mean?

My 3017 of Palmolive is full steam ahead. I am getting heaps of thick lather.

PM me your address and I'll send you the one I have. I was curious about it but like my vintage Tech head better.

A chunk of AoS Tallow could make it's way in there too if you're curious about it.

B&Bers and 3017ers are too kind. I've actually had a PM offer for a PIF as well, both of which I'll have to humbly decline.

I believe a work buddy has an EJ head, so rather then accept a PIF from anyone, I'll borrow his and then buy one when the time comes if it works for me. A razor like this is too good for me to take off anyone's hands when I can afford to buy one (which I am thankful and blessed that I am).

Thanks again for the offer, very generous of you all.

Last edited:
B&Bers and 3017ers are too kind. I've actually had a PM offer for a PIF as well, both of which I'll have to humbly decline.

I believe a work buddy has an EJ head, so rather then accept a PIF from anyone, I'll borrow his and then buy one when the time comes if it works for me. A razor like this is too good for me to take off anyone's hands when I can afford to buy one (which I am thankful and blessed that I am).

Thanks again for the offer, very generous of you all.

I will be excited to hear what you think too. The EJ is the only razor I have ever used that just didn't give me a satisfactory shave. I tried shimming it, which improved things, but never got to the point where my shaves were close or enjoyable.

Just started 3017'ing a new puck (and a bit more grated) of a new favorite (Haslinger) and after many years of switching things up I am really enjoying dialing in the soap and the simplicity of the process. I don't see a soap a month getting stale at all and it beats out having 30 or more soaps in the den which, looking back, was just becoming odd. Nice to be here!

Welcome! The 30 day bit I think is a nice compromise. Anything less would be too fickle. An exceptional soap I would use start to finish.

My goal is to get down to a handful of products on hand and not be tempted to jump as often.

Coincidentally, I'm prone to getting overwhelmed by choices and FOMO and am trying to figure out how to handle all the photos I've accumulated over the years. Simplicity is a nice thing.

Good luck trying to get Bruce to accept a PIF :lol:

The 89 is one of the very few products I've sold and re-purchased. It's a good razor, probably the best beginner DE that also won't be outgrown. For me, I use my Weber 99% of the time because I get a bit of a closer shave with less irritation. There's also a tiny bump on my lower lip which occasionally gets nicked and bleeds forever and the 89 seems more prone to do that than the Weber.

Still, I've got the 89 as well as the matching Muhle travel cap in my dopp for local trips.

Although I've been pondering a 1904 open comb lately...

It's fairly (or more) synthetic, is that what you mean?

My 3017 of Palmolive is full steam ahead. I am getting heaps of thick lather.

I don't remember it smelling like synthetic or cheap perfume. Performs great otherwise. Maybe if I let it air out it will die down.

Other option is to switch to LASS Bay Rum as I'm not sure how long that will last in storage.

After calculating how long it will take, I decided to start early.

I've often noticed people say they're going to start using their soap killer brush to finish off a soap they're tired of using. It made me wonder which of my brushes is the best soap eater, so I'm going to find out. I put 55 grams of Soap Commander Motivation in each of three identical bowls. Each bowl has one of my brushes assigned to it, an Omega 11575 boar, a WSP Prince 2-band, and a L'Occitane Plisson synthetic. I'll use each brush every third day, using the same load time and lathering method for all three. Once I find the ideal load time and lathering method for each brush, I'll stick to that.

By the time the first bowl is empty, I'll have a good average of how many grams of soap each brush uses each time. The synthetic will probably be a distant third, but I wonder whether the stiffer boar or the more dense badger will use more. I'm still going to finish off the PPF I'm using, so I'll just start the test using test lathers.

This has probably been done before, but I figured I'll be more likely to stick to one soap if I turn it into an experiment, especially since I'm starting with 165 g. I'll still do the occasional cheat day, but I'll try to remember to do a test lather even when I use a different soap or don't shave that day.

Interesting stuff @Heron. I'm going to guess the dense boar will require the longest load and use the most soap.

Since I have found my go-to soap, I should be able to disk back the load times a bit and perhaps make this run with Haslinger Sage extend to perhaps a whopping 35 days....we'll see.

I won't sacrifice lather quality or be one of the guys who has to squeeze the lather out of the brush for my second pass. It ain't worth it for me.

Introducing the newest member of the soap killers...

Shavemac 30mm two-band silver tip
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432868688.084676.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432868699.971944.jpg

That's a beast! What loft did you go on that monster?

I've been clearing out a few extra brushes on the GDF. If I can be good and pay down some bills, I think I'm going to order the Shavemac 3-band silvertip fan that's been on my mind for a while. I'll likely be rotating between that and the 2-band silvertip 24mm bulb through the week and then get the big dogs involved every now and again.

Forgot to use my boar this morning as I used the Duke 3. Pretty sure I loaded 4g of cream on that thing. Great shave. I need to remember to load a ton of product and not try to stretch it out.

I'm right around 67g over 25 shaves = 2.7g per shave. I could bump that number up if I keep loading on the heavy side.

Also decided to dry out the cream again today to see if the shaves are any better.

Congrats to Bruce and Jay!

My sample is still hanging on. I weighed it with the container last night and it was 50g even. I thought today might be the day but looks like maybe a few days left. I didn't put this sample in my signature thinking it wasn't going to take very long. Here I am 25 shaves into it...

Soft water is a blessing and a curse. Everything lathers effortlessly but in the same amount of time, I use a ~20g sample and you other guys kill an entire puck.

Thanks guys, it sure is a beast. Picked it up in a trade on another forum. Its a 30mm knot with a 60mm loft...

@Bruce - Congrats on the mortgage payoff! Just bought our first house last summer so won't be there too soon.

Good dimensions. My 26x58 is a great brush and my 24x54 is a little more scrubby and dense. 30x60 should be both gigantic AND plenty dense (while holding about a dozen passes of lather).

Only have a shave or 2 left with my Godrej menthol. Was perfect timing for me as it has lasted through the whole of Agni Nakshatram(the hottest part of the Indian summer).

Top Bottom