What's new

Best "cheap" fountain pen for a 14 year old?

I'm a divorced dad, I've got three amazing kids and despite the circumstances we have an amazing connection.

My 14 year old son, is so much like me it's staggering, and in a way it's extremely flattering because his interests mirror mine in a lot of ways. This morning I woke up to a Facebook post of his that said, "Can't sleep, too many Breaking Benjamin songs in my head and too many ideas for things I should write about."

Some of you may know, I'm a writer by trade ... formerly a newspaper reporter, now I dabble in corporate communications, marketing communications and my current contract job is as a technical writer.

So of course I want to encourage him ... and my thoughts turned to getting him his first fountain pen and possibly a journal.

He's a tall kid, almost as tall as me at 14 and I'm 6'3", so hand size isn't really an issue.

Any thoughts on a fairly cheap but nice FP for him?

Pilot makes decent disposable fountain pens. If you want him to learn how to refill the pen or want to give him something nicer, I like Lamy Safaris.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How cheap, how nice? I'm assuming you want something nicer looking than a Preppy or Varsity? And something reliable that you or he won't have to fool with to get it to write well. I'd say your starting point would be a Pilot Metropolitan at $15-$20.00 that doesen't look like a disposable and writes well out of the box.

+1 on the Pilot Metropolitan recommendation.

They come in all sorts of colors but the weight and feel of the pen body as well as the smooth writing nibs make them great pens -- whether you are a first-time user or seasoned veteran. Costing between $15-20 it won't break the bank if your son doesn't take to it or something happens to it.

Good luck!

I am a fan of Lamy writing instruments (and you will find plenty on the boards here who are not). I would check their offerings - depending upon your budget, there are a number of models which should fit the bill.

I would look at a Pelikano Junior or Lamy Safari. The Lamy is the longer of the 2 (and probably more age appropriate) but each pen has a pretty substantial girth. Each pen should cost you $25 or less if you look around.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Lamys are great and what I started with, the styling on the Safari and AL Star, as well as the triangular section may not appeal to some who would prefer a more "standard" looking pen. You can also swap nibs fairly easily as well. A step up in the price range.

You could take a flyer and get something online, or you could plan a trip to Appleton and visit Brian and Lisa Anderson @ Anderson pens. They have virtually everything, and you can go hands on with most all of them. Brian, Lisa, or anyone there would be more than happy to find a great set up for your son. Who knows, you might even find something you like :sneaky2:

http://www.andersonpens.com/Default.asp

I have a Safari, and agree that would be a good suggestion, though I'm still getting used to the "triangular section" you mention Nortac.

I'm thinking something south of $30, but yes, not the disposables. Something reliable for sure, the Pilot Metropolitan came to mind but I'd also like something with a little "personality."

You could take a flyer and get something online, or you could plan a trip to Appleton and visit Brian and Lisa Anderson @ Anderson pens. They have virtually everything, and you can go hands on with most all of them. Brian, Lisa, or anyone there would be more than happy to find a great set up for your son. Who knows, you might even find something you like :sneaky2:

http://www.andersonpens.com/Default.asp

:w00t: oh my ... Appleton's an easy 30 minutes down the road (and actually, I'm being considered for two full-time jobs down in Appleton at the moment. I was wondering if there were any shops semi-local ... thanks for sharing that info!

Pilot Metros come in different finishes, and are very nice looking pens. I don't find mine comfortable to hold because of the abrupt step where it changes diameter, but many people don't seem to have that problem.

Kaweco Sports are neat little pens, and the plastic versions are under $30, even after you pay an extra $2.70 for the separate pocket clip. Something like one of the Ice Sport versions might appeal to him. For the best ink capacity, though, you have to eyedropper fill them (don't waste money on their converter), and with a kid carrying it around in a backpack, that could be an accident waiting to happen. They do take standard short cartridges.

:w00t: oh my ... Appleton's an easy 30 minutes down the road (and actually, I'm being considered for two full-time jobs down in Appleton at the moment. I was wondering if there were any shops semi-local ... thanks for sharing that info!

Brian and Lisa are fantastic people, and are well known in the pen world, they attend almost every pen show. They also have a YouTube channel under Anderson pens. You'd be in extremely good hands with them.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would look at a Pelikano Junior or Lamy Safari. The Lamy is the longer of the 2 (and probably more age appropriate) but each pen has a pretty substantial girth. Each pen should cost you $25 or less if you look around.

These are the ones, designed as student pens both can take a lot of punishment and yet write well. Good suggestion.

Another idea would be to get a second or refurbished pen from peytonstreepens. I'm getting a couple older ones that are a bit banged up from storage or previous use, but getting a great deal on a nicer pen.

Also, I'm thrilled that I read this post as now I know of another pen store not too far from me. Will have the make a trek up north to visit Anderson pens.

Also, I'm thrilled that I read this post as now I know of another pen store not too far from me. Will have the make a trek up north to visit Anderson pens.

Makes my move from MKE to GB late last year downright tolerable ;)

Brian and Lisa are heading to the L.A. pen show next week. They're leaving Tuesday night and probably won't be back until the next Mon. or Tues. I'm pretty sure that their store stays open, but if you want to meet them specifically or want to make sure the store is open, a call ahead might keep you guys from making a trip when they might not be there.

Thanks for the info, Rockminer. It might be a few weeks before I head up there, but good to know. Maybe I'll jump into their suitcase and head out to LA for the pen show. Never been to one before.

Thanks for the info, Rockminer. It might be a few weeks before I head up there, but good to know. Maybe I'll jump into their suitcase and head out to LA for the pen show. Never been to one before.
Definitely check out Anderson Pens. Brian and Lisa are stalwarts of the pen community and will not steer you wrong. I've seen them at every pen show I've been to (more than a couple at this point!) and they're always ready to advise and help.

I do have to warn you about pen shows, though. If you ever do get to one, make sure your finances are in order! :001_rolle

Top Bottom