What's new

Questions eBay makes you wonder:

Like, will that guy trying to sell his double-synth ambicut for $175 ever stop relisting it claiming it's a black hard arkansas?

Do people selling stones labeled "Coarse Crystolon" really believe they are "Razor" hones?

Do enough people wanting to buy Honey comb cell phone cases REALLY misspell it as Hone Comb enough to justify my having to sift through a hundred listings for the same case?

What does eBay make you wonder?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Well, eBay certainly brings out the bad in some people, and the worse in others. I guess I wonder if anyone will do a moment's homework before placing a bid.

"Selling old fountain pen, not Mont Blanc Montblanc" or "old watch not Omega Rolex".

And the kicker: "Not tested, since I am not an expert on pens / watches" <-- you can be assured it's broken!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
RARE Straight razor hone belguim cuticle escher charnly Forrest Arkansas translucent black friction 00 jnat maruka ??????????????????
That an "expert" estimates between 12-14k

And in the end, it's always a carbo.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I also wonder who in the hell paid 134 dollars for a 1.5x 3/4" LG slurry stone

When someone puts up a razor that is cracked and crumbled with cell rot scales and is daft enough to ask $20, I often wonder if they sincerely think it has value. I also wonder who willingly bids up cedarfurnitureman's auctions the way they are

When someone puts up a razor that is cracked and crumbled with cell rot scales and is daft enough to ask $20, I often wonder if they sincerely think it has value. I also wonder who willingly bids up cedarfurnitureman's auctions the way they are
I bought two straight razors from him. He's a very nice guy and I was very happy with both auctions.

Last edited:
Yeah, CFM has been around for years. I've never bought from him, but I've heard his restores are really nice. Probably the most well regarded ebay-restorer.

I'm not an expert in hones but my friend's grandmother's brother's former roommate says it might be an escher.

The prizes some vendors try to charge ...
there's one guy listing 30+ "vintage" razors that are mostly junk (rusted, overhoned, cracked scales etc) for a THOUSAND dollars. Is a lot of trash more valuable than just trash?

The only real selling complaint I've had recently was when I was selling a standard sized barbers hone. They're like 5-6"x2" pretty much always. Easy to see from pictures if they deviate from that.

Anyway.

I get a question asking for dimensions. I respond to him, with the dimensions, and also add the question/response to the listing.

A day later the same guy asks again. Again, I respond to him with the dimensions.

Then before the auction ends, two other people ask me the dimensions, despite the fact that they are now in the listing.

Really makes you wonder.

The prizes some vendors try to charge ...
there's one guy listing 30+ "vintage" razors that are mostly junk (rusted, overhoned, cracked scales etc) for a THOUSAND dollars. Is a lot of trash more valuable than just trash?

This reminds me of a high school shop teacher I had, when explaining to one of the more truant students how his grade had been calculated after the student complained he had received an F...
"Well, let's see Tom....zero plus zero plus zero, plus zero plus zero plus zero, divided by 6".

Top Bottom