What's new

Tobacquisitions for January 2015

So, a few weeks ago, I sent a few pipes which just weren't getting smoked in to smokingpipes, and they gave me a very fair (I think) sum of store credit, a portion of which went to fund this guy...

View attachment 537521

I've always liked the L'Anatra Pettinate series, and I'd had my eye on this one, which made it to my door today. :thumbup:

The rest of my credit (about 80% of it) was dropped today on what will likely be a once-in-a-lifetime buy for me. Should be here in a week.
That is one pretty pipe.

Woohoo! I only get between 2 to 3 orders a year tops and my order from December just arrived. Happy. ;-) $uploadfromtaptalk1420615821303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been fighting off the acute PAD attack I've been having, but I love the stem on this unsmoked NOS (stored since store closed in 1990) mini (total length: 4 inches) meerschaum, I've been wanting a meer, the eagle is cool, hopefully it's not too short, and I am interested in small bowls...and it was $11 with free shipping.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I gotta stop trolling eBay, it's exacerbating my PAD. Scored this lot for $13.50 shipped, mainly for the bulldog but I do like how shiny the exteriors are on the billiard and apple (so just ream/clean and they're done), and that leather-clad one is interesting.

proxy.php

Both orders arrived.

The meerschaum eagle was not the one in the photograph. It had a more bent, plain-colored translucent non-marbled stem (and some differences at the bowl that I don't mind). The seller is working with me on it.

The lot is better than expected. They are all quite clean relative to other estate pipes I've bought and need little or no work, apart from the broken stem end on the short fatty. As I understand, vulcanite stems can be melted and re-shaped. I wonder if I could melt the end and re-shape it. I might even cast a mold/die of another stem's end for it. I may just be a caveman (your world frightens and confuses me), but I can also be Doctor Frankenstein.

Both orders arrived.

The meerschaum eagle was not the one in the photograph. It had a more bent, plain-colored translucent non-marbled stem (and some differences at the bowl that I don't mind). The seller is working with me on it.

The lot is better than expected. They are all quite clean relative to other estate pipes I've bought and need little or no work, apart from the broken stem end on the short fatty. As I understand, vulcanite stems can be melted and re-shaped. I wonder if I could melt the end and re-shape it. I might even cast a mold/die of another stem's end for it. I may just be a caveman (your world frightens and confuses me), but I can also be Doctor Frankenstein.
Vulcanite melts very easily. Heat it gently by judiciously using a heat gun, if you have one available. An open flame can make them catch fire! I've had it happen.

I don't think you'll be able to rescue that stem, amigo. Although you could send the stummel off and have a new stem made, this might be an ideal opportunity to try your hand at shaping a new one from vulcanite rod. :w00t:

So, a few weeks ago, I sent a few pipes which just weren't getting smoked in to smokingpipes, and they gave me a very fair (I think) sum of store credit, a portion of which went to fund this guy...

View attachment 537521

I've always liked the L'Anatra Pettinate series, and I'd had my eye on this one, which made it to my door today. :thumbup:

The rest of my credit (about 80% of it) was dropped today on what will likely be a once-in-a-lifetime buy for me. Should be here in a week.

I've been thinking about sending some of mine off as well. Store credit seems to be the way to go with their estate trade in.

That is a gorgeous pipe!

Now, Im waiting for your once in a lifetime buy as much as you are :)

I've been thinking about sending some of mine off as well. Store credit seems to be the way to go with their estate trade in.

That is a gorgeous pipe!

You couple of teasers... :p

That is a gorgeous pipe!

Thanks Andrew. Yes, 55% of what they will list it for (several of the pipes I sent in are already up on their site), which is actually quite good for consignment sellers. Sure you might make more taking them to the bay, but this is a sure bet and really hassle free. Plus, as I said, I actually got more than I expected for this lot. So, I ended up turning six pipes into two, but it was six pipes that were literally just taking up space, not being smoked, and the two are both awesome. The L'Anatra is a great shape and a great finish - I really really like it - but the second one is gorgeous, in my opinion, anyway.

You couple of teasers... :p
UPS says it will be here Monday. :thumbup:

Top Bottom