What's new

Just something about spiders I love.

That is beautiful! At first glance I thought it was a Cobalt blue from the legs but the head and abdomen got me stumped. Which type is that?

If its what im thinking its a green Crab Spider. We get them a lot around here. Color hue & patterns vary but they pretty much look like this.

View attachment 493314
View attachment 493315
I HATE spiders!
Actually, I don't really "HATE" them, they do serve a purpose, but I do have a phobia of them... It is strange, because almost no other insect bothers me... i could pick up a cockroach or let bees crawl on me without a problem!
When I saw this post about spiders, I immediately thought of this strange little green spider that was on my deck railing a couple of weeks ago.. I had to take a picture of it. Creepy little thing! A few minutes after I took the picture it stuck it's bum in the air and started spraying a lot of fine web into the air! It lasted for about 90 seconds or so. A huge amount of web just spraying out without any apparent purpose! Very strange... any ideas why?
Anyway, here are the two pics I shot of it.
creepy.... Like little red eyes on a skull...
$GreenSpider1 sm.jpg$GreenSpider3 sm.jpg

Attachments

• $GreenSpider2 sm.jpg
    $GreenSpider2 sm.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
It is one species of crab spider (Misumessus sp.) Not sure exactly which one.

The web thing is a dispersal technique. They launch web into the air to try and get it into the wind currents to carry them aloft, flying to a new destination. There's a lot of those webs flying around this time of year.

Last edited:
It is soft like a crab when it sheds, or does it harden before? Must be very interesting to watch.

As it sheds the outer skin is hard while they are soft coming out. Once they are out their skin will harden. The skin on an insect or arachnid is its skeleton.

I'm amazed by them, as long as it's behind glass or not in my house, except for Lycosa. Those guys are really cool. I do have a strange fascination with black widows, always wanted to keep one as a pet, but with a small child and animals I don't think it would be a good idea.

Some really cool ones in here!

Here are a couple pics of one of my biggest. A mature male Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon). He's a bit larger than 8". His mate is larger, but I didn't get her out.

Attachments

• $10409077_10203190906188953_4755918958392080698_n.jpg
    $10409077_10203190906188953_4755918958392080698_n.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 69
  • $1233468_10203190905428934_1984362184986351883_n.jpg
    $1233468_10203190905428934_1984362184986351883_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 69
Very nice! Sadly it has started getting to cool here. Most of mine around the house are gone. No good local pet shops around here anymore either. Petsmart ran them all off. :(

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I would love a goliath tarantula :w00t:

Dave:
Although most spiders 'freak-me-out' :a38:, I do remember what you said in the past about this spider not being "part of the pet trade"
(as of yet?). :001_rolle

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/357594-Tiger-Spider-New-species-of-Tarantula-the-size-of-your-face-found-in-Sri-Lanka!?p=5326648&highlight=spiders#post5326648

proxy.php
"Will you walk into my parlor"? said the spider to the fly. "Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy". Mary Howitt

The Goliath is very much a part of the pet trade. They have been wisely kept in captivity for at least the last 20 years in the US.

Oh, my bad, were you referring to P. rajaei as not being in the hobby? If so that is correct. But many very closely related species are in the hobby, like this one:

Poeciloteria fasciata
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413852712.749214.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Goliath is very much a part of the pet trade. They have been wisely kept in captivity for at least the last 20 years in the US.
Dave:
'My bag'...I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Goliath tarantulas are] so large...they appear to be wearing the pelts of small animals". Dave Barry

Last edited:
Oh, my bad, were you referring to P. rajaei as not being in the hobby? If so that is correct. But many very closely related species are in the hobby, like this one:

Poeciloteria fasciata
View attachment 509683

Handling an ornamental? NOPE :bored:

Yeah I was referring to P. rajaei. I'd love a salmon pink or a T blondi though, but I'm not sure how my other half would feel about it :laugh:

Top Bottom