What's new

mold on my ink

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The mold in the small jar is holding steady, but has popped up in another place. Around the nib of my Ratnamson. This pen stays at work and gets little used, but it contains the same HOD from the sample jar. I thought I had 5OS in it, but apparently not.

$005.jpg

$006.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have disposed of the offending ink, and washed the pen with a toothbrush and warm antibacterial soapy water, followed by a dilute ammonia water rinse. I am considering getting one of these...

proxy.php

Last edited:
Autoclave might ruin your pens. Try to get a cold sterile solution from a hospital or veterinary clinic. Or radiation sterilization is cheap.

My Quink Turquoise ink developed SITB :sad:

Which brings me to the question; how long do you usually keep your opened inks in rotation? I think this Quink ink was at least 10 years old (and seldom used).

I wouldn't use alcohol, since it can harm ebonite/hard rubber (which I believe is what your Ratnamson is made from). I'd probably try a solution of household clear ammonia and water. Let it soak for a few minutes, scrub, and rinse thoroughly. Repeat as necessary. Make sure the inner workings are flushed also...if that gunk starts growing inside, it'll make the cleanup much more difficult. If the nib and feed are easily removed, I'd probably pull them out and give them a good cleaning, also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Surprisingly, I've never had any mold -- considering all the stuff floating around my rooms. Anyway, out of the 40 or so bottles I've got open, some inks have been open for 70 years.

Never had a problem.

I was surprised about the Quink developing mold, since it still contained the old formula, AFAIK ... with phenol.

Modern inks don't have phenol anymore, because of the health risks (for the workers, not for the end users).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Modern inks don't have phenol anymore, because of the health risks (for the workers, not for the end users).

I'm not sure but I thought I got a distinct whiff of phenol off my newish Sailor ink last week.

Top Bottom