What's new

Baking Question

I'm quite the accomplished cook for appetizers and main dishes, but a little lacking ( a lot actually) when it comes to baking.

As an example, many recipes call for 1 cup of sifted flour, and others call for 1 cup of flour, sifted.

Now, technically, by the English language, these mean two different things. But what about "Baking Lingo", same or different?

I think they do mean different things.

One cup of sifted flour is obtained after you sift a quantity of flour, measure out one cup after sifting.

One cup of flour, sifted, is the opposite. You measure out one cup of flour, then put that in a sifter, and use all of it in your recipe.

Sifting will change the volume of the flour.

Most commercial all purpose flour that you can buy now is already pre-sifted(check the bag/box), so you can skip the sifting step.

I have been a chef for the last 25 years and what it means is to sift the flour.
You always have some small moisture lumps that you need to remove to
have a very good texture to the flour and it introduces air into the mix to make a lighter product.

Try it both ways sifted and unsifted and you'll see the difference.
Back to the oven gents :biggrin:

I think that it is two different meanings, either measuring flour before it's sifted or after it's sifted. This is one of many small reasons why I agree with Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) in that dry ingredients should be weighed instead of using a volume measurement. But that is not the standard with recipes, using cups and spoons for all ingredients is the norm.

You might check the front of the cookbook (assuming you're using one of those) to see how they define these things. Baking Illustrated defines - in the front - how they measure flour (dip and level) and what they mean when they specify to sift.

Personally I've always measured then sifted.

And one of these days I will get a scale for baking.

For those of you who'd like to know, I was baking Biscotti. In this case, I measured and then sifted, and I believe I was still short of flour because the dough was extremely sticky (much more than it should have been) and the "formed log" that I put on the cookie sheet flattened in less than 10 minutes in the oven.

One thing I always do first time using a particular recipe (right or wrong) is to follow exactly and deal with the result. next time, I'll make adjustments.

In this case, I'll add more flour............

................and I won't melt the chocolate as long!!!:blushing:

Let's not go there!!!!!!:lol:

I live in a ghetto college appartment and every time I turn on my oven my smoke detector goes off, despite the lack of smoke. No, its not a gas leak that I'm accidentaly mixing up with my CO detector. Damn college appartments. Otherwise, I could use some baking tips as well :p

OK, many people are saying weight is more accurate than volume. SO how much does a pound of flour weigh??

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I crack me up!!!!:w00t:

I have never worked in cups being in the UK. I cook very often and I bake at least twice a week and I find grams and kilos the easiest thing in the world compared to ounces and pounds. Probably my age I guess

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
OK, many people are saying weight is more accurate than volume. SO how much does a pound of flour weigh??

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I crack me up!!!!:w00t:

... a whole new twist on "Newfie Jokes" ... :001_rolle

What's heavier, a pound of feathers, or a pound of gold?

Answer: a pound of feathers. Gold is measured in troy pounds, which are lighter.

Top Bottom