What's new

Cheese, what about the cheese?

Well after living in Italy for nine years I finally had to come back to America. One thing I noticed is the total lack of dairies around here.

I miss going to a dairy store and getting all different kinds of quality cheese--not that mass produced crap that comes from abused cows. I want some damn good cheese to go with some wine or even some sparkling water. So where are some of the good cheese houses you know of? Do they sell online?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Well after living in Italy for nine years I finally had to come back to America. One thing I noticed is the total lack of dairies around here.
I miss going to a dairy store and getting all different kinds of quality cheese--not that mass produced crap that comes from abused cows. I want some damn good cheese to go with some wine or even some sparkling water. So where are some of the good cheese houses you know of? Do they sell online?

Have you heard of Wisconsin? Perhaps Vermont?

Good point let me rephrase that.

Any good diaries other than the to two dairy states? There must be more dairies in this country other than those two states.

If you can find an artisan dairy, be prepared to pay prices significantly higher than in Europe/Middle East, for only a fraction of the varieties. The best advice I can give is: find "Little Italy" in a large regional city near you, visit it, and "ask around".

We had one in Israel, located in the Galilee and founded by a messianic Xian church; they called it Cheeses of Nazereth.

I buy cheese from the Italian market near me. They have a pretty decent assortments.

There are also a few international markets here with really huge cheese assortments.

I would check out he yellowpages and see what you have near you.

"You have a friend in cheeses." John Candy (RIP) The Cheddars - an SCCTV skit.

Wayne, whose friends leave once he cuts the cheese

I recommend finding you local farmers markets. They should be reopening soon, if they haven't already. Not only are they a great place to get nice, fresh produce (and other good stuff too), but frequently local dairies also come by. They may only sell milk at the farmers market, but I'll bet they can tell you where to get the good cheese.

One thing to note: because of overly restrictive food safety laws here, particularly young cheeses have to be made from pasteurized milk, which will deaden the flavor from what you are used to in Europe. Not much you can do about that, unless you find a dairyman willing to "bend" the rules a bit for his own consumption, and sell you his excess.

I thought it was illegal to buy proper cheese in the US, courtesy of the FDA? (I.e., unpasteurised.)

Eating pasteurised cheese is like shaving with a disposable Bic... :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I saw a lot of very interesting looking cheeses at Costco the other day.

Tim

Top Bottom