What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

My daughter came by the house yesterday and scored all this (from us):

Descoware pan ($7 my cost)

$2013-02-16_16-42-45_41.jpg

$2013-02-16_16-43-01_891.jpg

as well as a used but very clean Krups whirly coffee grinder ($3 my cost)

and a set of common, every day measuring spoons from her grandmother's estate (priceless)

-jim

We finally got over to the garden center and Lowe's to get our caprese garden going. The bride started some of the basil from seeds. Lots of flowers and toms starting to show.

We finally got over to the garden center and Lowe's to get our caprese garden going. The bride started some of the basil from seeds. Lots of flowers and toms starting to show.
Must be nice to get that kind of start on the garden. We are still a month or two from beginning. Looks good and tasty.

Going through some pictures it looks like I have been quite busy building my kitchen collection since Christmas. Below are some goodies I've obtained. Also not pictured are copies of Secrets of a Jewish Baker, The Science of Good Cooking, and The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook. There is also a Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k on order.

Hario Skerton grinder with OE lower bearing, Hario V60, Bonavita kettle, digital thermometer
$20130104_191512.jpg

Sous vide temp controller.
$20121201_002224.jpg

Kitchenaid professional 600 as a b-day present to myself.
$20130306_000403.jpg

And best for last, a Tanaka nakiri from my brother.
$0f365bcd-1ddf-4504-8c44-d931b12eb1d7.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice stuff. Secrets of a Jewish baker is where I found the first pizza dough recipe I ever used. Pretty much exactly what I still do.

So how are you using your kit?

The coffee gear has allowed me to start drinking coffee black and cut sugar out of my diet. As a result I've dropped 10 pounds. The mixer will be used mostly for sourdough bread and pizza dough until I get the grinder attachment.

One of my resolutions this year is to buy a decent cookbook every month. I may have gone a little crazy in March, but I anticipate a great grilling season!

And here's the year-to-date shot.

March: Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book, Schlesinger and Willoughby License to Grill and Thrill of the Grill, Ruhlman Charcuterie.
February: Ottolenghi Jerusalem
January: Keller French Laundry Cookbook and Ad Hoc at Home

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Bag of flour. 20KG or about 44 lbs for about $25. Doing the math enough to make 70 12" pies. I save at least $10 each by making it myself and I know the ingredients I'm using are great. So this bag represents $700 in savings.
$Flour.jpg

Today's effort, mushroom, red pepper, onion, extra cheese, chorizo on my side.
$Pizza Night.jpg

How do you store that much flour? Can you leave it in the bag or do you need to move it into some sort of long term storage?

-jim

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I do leave it in this bag. I'll move it into our chest freezer in a bit. Along with most of the grains, rice, flours, I use. Mostly I just use it from there. Years ago I kept a flour jar on the counter but that was too much bother.

Why the freezer? Mills are doing better than ever keeping bugs out but bugs still do get in. The freezer kills them. Sorry guys . . . this is the truth and we've not died yet.

Bag of flour. 20KG or about 44 lbs for about $12.50. Doing the math enough to make 70 12" pies. I save at least $10 each by making it myself and I know the ingredients I'm using are great. So this bag represents $700 in savings.
View attachment 318225

Today's effort, mushroom, red pepper, onion, extra cheese, chorizo on my side.
View attachment 318227

Flour in bulk's something I keep meaning to do

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket with an airtight screw on lid for my flour. It holds about 35# of my 50# bag of Caputo pizza flour. I need another!

My Mess Hall Aquisition is actually the mess hall. I'm in the middle of renovating my kitchen. I bought new appliances last year, and did a little reconfiguration, refinishing my cabinets, new floor, and large island. I'm about 2 weeks in with about 3 weeks left. It sucks not being able to find anything, but at least I got all my appliances back in and running on Monday. Here's some pics:

During Demo:
proxy.php

proxy.php

There used to be a return wall. I straightened it out to make room for a bigger island. You can see the new plaster work.
proxy.php

Fast forward. I finished the floor install this past weekend and got the island cabinets upstairs (2-30" drawer bases with a 38" x 72" John Boos Cherry Butcherblock Top due in early April)
proxy.php

Room for my wife and I to work
proxy.php

The floor. We initially were thinking Travertine, but found it to be a tougher install and more fragile. We found this porcelain 18x18 tile that mimic'd the travertine and is much more durable.
proxy.php

I have a beautiful American Standard Bridge Faucet at the granite fabricators. The granite is going to be Absolute Black. I also have a brushed nickel 3 light fixture for above the island that resembles an antique gaslight fixture.

That kitchen is going to look nice when finished. Congrats and it is going to be a satisfied job well done when finished because you are doing it your self.

Hey, we don't have an acquisitions thread yet! I'll start out.

You know you make too much pizza when you stop by the local bakery and buy a 50lb (!) bag of high gluten flour:
i too am a pizza fan and make multiple doughs at a time. So don't feel bad scotto. BTW what's ur favorite recipie? Mine is just a plane basic one. I just wonder how I could duplicate the many crusts i get out at home. Any hints?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hey, we don't have an acquisitions thread yet! I'll start out.

You know you make too much pizza when you stop by the local bakery and buy a 50lb (!) bag of high gluten flour:

i too am a pizza fan and make multiple doughs at a time. So don't feel bad scotto. BTW what's ur favorite recipie? Mine is just a plane basic one. I just wonder how I could duplicate the many crusts i get out at home. Any hints?

Nice you picked up on the very first post in the acquisition thread thread from back in August of 2009.

I got a No 8 CI skillet from the scrap heap at Goodwill. I was dropping off some items and saw it in the sorting room by the trash. "You really want that old thing?!" No charge.

It looks to me like a later-model unmarked Wagner, but that's just from a few minutes of Googling. No heat ring and no other markings. 8 at the top of the handle, N on underside of handle, size and made in USA at 6 o'clock on bottom.

I got a No 8 CI skillet from the scrap heap at Goodwill. I was dropping off some items and saw it in the sorting room by the trash. "You really want that old thing?!" No charge.

It looks to me like a later-model unmarked Wagner, but that's just from a few minutes of Googling. No heat ring and no other markings. 8 at the top of the handle, N on underside of handle, size and made in USA at 6 o'clock on bottom.

Goodwill wouldn't have done that around here! Everything goes on the shelf with the price pegged to the current gold rate. Nice save!

-jim

I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket with an airtight screw on lid for my flour. It holds about 35# of my 50# bag of Caputo pizza flour. I need another!

My Mess Hall Aquisition is actually the mess hall. I'm in the middle of renovating my kitchen. I bought new appliances last year, and did a little reconfiguration, refinishing my cabinets, new floor, and large island. I'm about 2 weeks in with about 3 weeks left. It sucks not being able to find anything, but at least I got all my appliances back in and running on Monday. Here's some pics:

Wow, what a large space you got to work with! That is going to be a real joy to use when you get it done.

-jim

Top Bottom