What's new

Gold Dollar Competition, 2013

I guess I'm in after all - after having had to work on Saturday, I managed to take a good portion of Sunday for myself and I was able to design, cut, shape, sand and buff some horn scales with a bone wedge for my Gold Dollar.

Still need to pin it and hone it... just a quick photo of how it is right now, after the blade has been hand sanded up to 1000 and then polished :

proxy.php

Excellent!

Very, very classy!

Yeah...kinda took the wind out of my ambitions. Good job Khay.

DO IT ANYWAY, Man! If nothing else, this is less a competition and more of a cheesy excuse to make your own custom razor for cheap! I'm not entering this year (more on that later), but I still like whipping out mine from last year and remembering the fun I had making it. PLUS I'll be able to do that for years to come! Good times....

DO IT ANYWAY, Man! If nothing else, this is less a competition and more of a cheesy excuse to make your own custom razor for cheap! I'm not entering this year (more on that later), but I still like whipping out mine from last year and remembering the fun I had making it. PLUS I'll be able to do that for years to come! Good times....

+1

Oops, I guess I was a bit ambiguous in my wording. I wasn't really planning on joining the competition...don't have tools to do something to my own standards anymore...rather I was nudging another maker to do something similar for me.

I guess I'm in after all - after having had to work on Saturday, I managed to take a good portion of Sunday for myself and I was able to design, cut, shape, sand and buff some horn scales with a bone wedge for my Gold Dollar.

Still need to pin it and hone it... just a quick photo of how it is right now, after the blade has been hand sanded up to 1000 and then polished :

proxy.php
Damm, sexy, sexy blade.

I'm very tempted to order a few GD for fun. Which models are you guys using? Seems most of the razors at 3-4$ are for the models #66. The blade is about 6/8 - 13/16?

In all seriousness though, if I get 5 of them I imagine I'll be sure to have at least 1-2 which are not too warped or do not need too much grinding to be "hone-able"? Are a lot of them too warped to be salvageable?

In all seriousness though, if I get 5 of them I imagine I'll be sure to have at least 1-2 which are not too warped or do not need too much grinding to be "hone-able"? Are a lot of them too warped to be salvageable?

I've had/modded/honed well over a hundred and twenty Gold Dollars.

Only TWO would not get to a shave ready edge. I have never had a warped blade.

EDIT:
The tangs on the other hand are often out of alignment with the body of the blade, which takes some tricks to be able to re-scale them.

To continue the chant - I've cleaned up about 20 or so and none were in terrible condition although I did get one that had a nose that was strangely shaped. I think they must round the nose by hand because I've noticed that almost all are a little different. In any case, all made great razors.

Ok I see. Just out of curiosity, what kind of tricks do you usually use to fit a mis-aligned tang? An old Genco I got as my first restore still needs some scales, and it seems to be very so slightly mis-aligned so that it hits the scales (when I mocked it on some celluloid scales I had from classic edge).

I will put in an order for a few GD tonight :)

I've had/modded/honed well over a hundred and twenty Gold Dollars.

Only TWO would not get to a shave ready edge. I have never had a warped blade.

EDIT:
The tangs on the other hand are often out of alignment with the body of the blade, which takes some tricks to be able to re-scale them.

Ok I see. Just out of curiosity, what kind of tricks do you usually use to fit a mis-aligned tang? An old Genco I got as my first restore still needs some scales, and it seems to be very so slightly mis-aligned so that it hits the scales (when I mocked it on some celluloid scales I had from classic edge).

I will put in an order for a few GD tonight :)

What is needed:

• A vise
  • Some muscle power.
  • Intestinal fortitude.

It doesn't always work out as planned though:

Attachments

• $snapped.jpg
    $snapped.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 586
Or you can add an extra washer to the side OPPOSITE where it makes contact.

But an extra washer looks kinda crap in my book.

Haha alright, I've got brute force, i'll see about the rest...
I mocked the razor on the scales with an extra washer and indeed, it just didn't fit right. I guess I will have to see once I make some scales for it if I can't compensate by making the wedge slightly adjusted...

Or you can add an extra washer to the side OPPOSITE where it makes contact.

But an extra washer looks kinda crap in my book.

Top Bottom