What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Seems everyone is in a rush to hone now days. I like to take my time with my coti and really enjoy the time spent honing.
I have to try and fit honing in wherever I can. Life is so hectic that I only get about 2 hours at home each day during the week when I'm not sleeping or eating and weekends are busy busy so the quicker I can get an edge the less moaning I get about spending time with my razors rather than the family :D

this stone was mine. I brought it from the invisable edge . bart told me it was la patite blanche glued to slate ..yes its a hard stone moderatly fast fast on slurry more like fast .. Now i no they say unicot is fool prof, but i have had subpar unicot edges..the stone you have unicot worked blind folded...set bevel and do 20 laps on misty slurry followed by 50 on water and you will see.. yes try undilucot . i never spent enought time doing dilucot but i'll bet if you workk circles in sections you will get a great result...

Yeah, I heard this stone was yours! Small world....It is a fast stone, so I'll have to go light on the pressure while I'm learning!

Just got this 65 X 200 “La Grosse Blanche”.

$DSC03163.jpg

$DSC03164.jpg

$DSC03165.jpg

Well guys I was planning on buying a new coticule for a while and decided to send a mail to Maurice. Last time he picked out a nice 100x40 La Grise out for me but when I wanted to hone my 8/8 razor it got a bit small for me. So I wanted something bigger. I have a few bouts wich I picked up online but I wanted a big stone that would last me a lifetime.

Once again he welcomed me into his house and treated me on a lovely stone. I went with a selected 200x60 (8x2.5) stone. Again a lovely La Grise wich he picked out for me. Even the slurry stone he got me was pretty big for a slurry stone.

Here are the pics. I will give him a try today.

$IMG_0426.jpg$IMG_0428.jpg$IMG_0430.jpg

Just picked up this guy from the Bay. It's a vintage combo that feels very fine & I can tell it's going to be fast... Can't wait to use it!!

$20121115_122754.jpg$20130219_141933.jpg

Very well could be La Verte! That is an old vein IIRC?

Lovely stone indeed. Here is some info I've found on coticule.be

12. La Verte
Thicker layer that allows several slices of Coticule to be cut with (mostly) consistent properties throughout the layer. Color is of a distinct greenish gray hue. Natural combination stones have a gradual transition to the blue of their BBW part. Presence of a grainy-looking pattern (although completely smooth to the touch), that is reminiscing of wood grain. They are both in look and feel related to La Grise, albeit La Verte Coticules are generally harder. Speed on slurry centers around moderately slow. They are faster on water than La Grise, which makes them excellent touch-up hones, and they can make up on water for neglected work in earlier honing stages.

Lovely stone indeed. Here is some info I've found on coticule.be

12. La Verte
Thicker layer that allows several slices of Coticule to be cut with (mostly) consistent properties throughout the layer. Color is of a distinct greenish gray hue. Natural combination stones have a gradual transition to the blue of their BBW part. Presence of a grainy-looking pattern (although completely smooth to the touch), that is reminiscing of wood grain. They are both in look and feel related to La Grise, albeit La Verte Coticules are generally harder. Speed on slurry centers around moderately slow. They are faster on water than La Grise, which makes them excellent touch-up hones, and they can make up on water for neglected work in earlier honing stages.

Very Interesting, Heljen. I can't comment on the speed (yet), but I do know that there is a lot of graininess & "cracking", but the stone is completely smooth to the touch...I'll be sure to post how it performs as soon ad I have a chance to hone with it!

~~~my understanding of the named veins is, whatever is named is not vintage...vintage being pre Ardennes

others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Right...understood. Whether or not it's vintage is up for debate, then I guess! All I know is that it was sold as a "vintage" stone...

About the names that is also what I heard. Pre Ardennes coticules don't have layer names. But the fact is that there is no diffrence between vintage and current stones. They both serve the same purpose. So that 50 years in age diffrence doesn't matter one bit.

Top Bottom