What's new

Going Full Boar

I have been using an Omega 10290 with outstanding results. I am now preparing to sell my badger brushes. I would like to get a Boar with a larger knot; maybe a Semogue 2000 or Omega 49. Wish I had tried one of these as my first brush; as opposed to dropping ~ $190 on badger brushes (and I am sure some guys have spent much more).

YMMV, but boars work well for me.

Do you mean $190 for a single brush or per brush? Most of the badgers I have purchased have been around that price per brush. Being a boar man exclusively will definitely keep your bank account happier!

Yeah, I think you'll be happier with the SOC over the 2000. 2000 is somewhere between the Omega/Rubberset professionals (massive loft long handled brushes for bowl lathering a huge amount of lather) and the SOC, and I think compromises a lot of the SOC's face lathering ability without gaining much beyond a little bit more splay (which I don't consider necessarily a good thing).

Since you have an Omega I would suggest a Semogue also. I find the break in point to be a little longer but the wait is worth it.
The SOC, is a great brush but it's not typical if you're trying to gauge where most Semogue brushes are performance wise.
As one of the previous posts stated it does tend to splay a bit.(I don't find that the case with most Semogues)
I use Boars exclusively these days and the beauty of it is you can try a brush without breaking the bank

Good luck
And welcome to the Boar side

Phil

SOC Boar in Cherry Wood is the best boar brush I've ever owned. Wonderful for soaps and creams and amazing in a bowl. If you want 2 fantastic little facer lathering boars, I'd suggest the 830 and 620 as well.

I'm breaking in a few boars right now and I must say that they don't perform too well during the break in. I will also say I got fairly cheap ones for my "experiment". I got a Semogue 1520, a 1305 and an Omega 49 Pro. I have some badger brushes that I like a lot but the reason I got them was because of all the positive reviews on boar brushes and because of the fact that an old Vanderhagan cheapie actually wasn't that bad. I kind of like certain aspects of it. I'm definitely looking forward to getting these new ones broken in. I'm trying to use them often and on days when I don't if they're dried out I do a quick soak under water and some aggressive palm lather strokes (with no soap) and set them back to dry again. Hopefully they'll break in soon because the way they perform now is not very good although the Omega Pro is ahead of the pack!

I prefer badgers myself, but I agree with the others; the SOC is probably the best boar brush ever made.

I had a Semogue 2011 LE short loft (style #1) for a while.

I found it to be TOO MUCH brush (too dense) for my liking so I sold it on BST

This might be just what you are looking for in a boar brush.

proxy.php

I don't want to disparage the Omega 10290; it's a great brush and I am going to keep it. I just wanted to try something else. Lot's of great info here, as always.

Do you mean $190 for a single brush or per brush? Most of the badgers I have purchased have been around that price per brush. Being a boar man exclusively will definitely keep your bank account happier!

I'm cheap; $100 for one badger, and $90 for another. My wife for one, however, thinks that's a lot of money. But you are right, around here that's nothing!

Since I am a face latherer, I decided on the Semogue 830.
Good choice!

$100 for a brush that would last more than ten,fifteen years of daily use is not bad at all. Yes, they are expensive compared to boars.
I too go back and forth but will keep my badgers, for now.

Enjoy your Semogue!

I went from boar to badger and back to boar again. For me there is no better type of brush for face-lathering though I prefer them short lofted; 50mm is the absolute maximum but I rather have 45mm. I did keep a pair of small badgers btw, a Commodore X1 and a Fitzwilliam, and use them on rare occasions but I really prefer the firm yet soft hugging of a well broken in boar on my face.

Top Bottom