What's new

The MMA Thread

The LHW challenger picture sure is scrambled up. I'd like to see Shogun beat Gustafson, then move to a world where there is no JBJ so he can have a few more good fights and retire. They say that Ninja is already struggling with brain damage and I'd hate to see Shogun end up punchy too. Maybe it's already too late, but he shouldn't take another beating like he did in the Hendo fight. Hendo v. Jones is the next fight that I'd like to see too. After that, Texiera might as well have his turn. I like to watch him fight, but I don't think he's going to have an answer for Jones either.

yea, i'd like to see glover/bones. but yea i agree he needs to get a fight or 2 in. i wouldn't mind seeing bones/machida rematch in the meantime, i dont think he would make the same mistake again and if he can stay elusive could make it interesting.

The LHW challenger picture sure is scrambled up. I'd like to see Shogun beat Gustafson, then move to a world where there is no JBJ so he can have a few more good fights and retire. They say that Ninja is already struggling with brain damage and I'd hate to see Shogun end up punchy too. Maybe it's already too late, but he shouldn't take another beating like he did in the Hendo fight. Hendo v. Jones is the next fight that I'd like to see too. After that, Texiera might as well have his turn. I like to watch him fight, but I don't think he's going to have an answer for Jones either.

Poor Ninja. I remember reading somewhere that he got his head rattled pretty badly when he entered the HW Grand Prix and lost to that one guy...what's his name...the Russian dude with the blond crew cut. Ugh, I forget. But yeah...that is sad. In my heart, old school Chute Boxe still lives on. Wanderlei, Ninja, Shogun, and Anderson are all young and at the top of their game (well...Anderson is still at the top somehow). Soccer kicks and face stomps a-plenty, and Wanderlei still had a chin. A man can dream.

Yeah. I think the only men who have an answer for JBJ fight one weightclass up...and even then I only see JDS and Cain being able to challenge him. Sheesh, Bones is pretty darn unstoppable now that I think about it.

From the L.A. Times:
UFC President Dana White told The Times on Tuesday that Jones and Sonnen have been assigned as opposing coaches in the third installment of "The Ultimate Fighter" on FX, creating some extensive pre-fight hype for their April 27 pay-per-view title match at a site to be determined.
"The Ultimate Fighter" with Jones and Sonnen is set to begin shooting on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, with a debut in early January as young middleweights participate in a tournament that leads up to an April "TUF" finale at the Vegas Hard Rock Hotel, where the winner will receive a multi-fight UFC contract.

From the L.A. Times:
UFC President Dana White told The Times on Tuesday that Jones and Sonnen have been assigned as opposing coaches in the third installment of "The Ultimate Fighter" on FX, creating some extensive pre-fight hype for their April 27 pay-per-view title match at a site to be determined.
"The Ultimate Fighter" with Jones and Sonnen is set to begin shooting on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, with a debut in early January as young middleweights participate in a tournament that leads up to an April "TUF" finale at the Vegas Hard Rock Hotel, where the winner will receive a multi-fight UFC contract.

In my opinion this makes the sport look bad. Sonnen doesn't deserve a title shot at LHW, he needs to fight his way into a title fight not trash talk his way into it.

I read that this season has the worst ratings off all the TUF seasons. I can't imagine why :blink:

In my opinion this makes the sport look bad. Sonnen doesn't deserve a title shot at LHW, he needs to fight his way into a title fight not trash talk his way into it.

I read that this season has the worst ratings off all the TUF seasons. I can't imagine why :blink:

I think that the time for TUF has come and gone. It's buried in the deadly wasteland of Friday night when their target audience is either out doing whatever it is that young guys do on the weekend. This seems like a last gasp to make it relevant. We'll see if it works or not. But it seems like an act of desperation on Zuffa's part. The only other reason I can think of is that Jones injury is worse than they are letting on and he is going to need the extra time to be ready to fight.

Personally, if I were one of the guys like Hendo or Lyoto who just got hung out to dry, I'd be pissed. This is money out of their pockets. I think that Sonnen put on a good fight in his first match with Anderson but, beyond that, I think that he has no more of a legacy in MMA than any of a hundred other journeyman fighters who have shown up and done their best to win in the cage. But these other guys—Shogun, Hendo, Machida—are fighters who have really done great things and have already made their mark in the sport. To put them on ice is a disservice to them and to any fans who came to UFC through combat sports rather than through the WWE. I won't be watching Chael's idiotic hijinks on TUF or paying for his fight with JBJ, but I might tune in to see highlights of JBJ starching him in the first round of their eventual fight.

I think that the time for TUF has come and gone. It's buried in the deadly wasteland of Friday night when their target audience is either out doing whatever it is that young guys do on the weekend. This seems like a last gasp to make it relevant. We'll see if it works or not. But it seems like an act of desperation on Zuffa's part. The only other reason I can think of is that Jones injury is worse than they are letting on and he is going to need the extra time to be ready to fight.

Personally, if I were one of the guys like Hendo or Lyoto who just got hung out to dry, I'd be pissed. This is money out of their pockets. I think that Sonnen put on a good fight in his first match with Anderson but, beyond that, I think that he has no more of a legacy in MMA than any of a hundred other journeyman fighters who have shown up and done their best to win in the cage. But these other guys—Shogun, Hendo, Machida—are fighters who have really done great things and have already made their mark in the sport. To put them on ice is a disservice to them and to any fans who came to UFC through combat sports rather than through the WWE. I won't be watching Chael's idiotic hijinks on TUF or paying for his fight with JBJ, but I might tune in to see highlights of JBJ starching him in the first round of their eventual fight.

Very well said. It's a huge disservice to the fighters that deserve a title shot. Henderson got injured, let him heal up while Jones is healing and that can be their next fight. I think it makes the UFC look a lot like the WWE. Dana says it's the fight that fans want to see. I have almost as much desire to see Chael and Jones fight as I do to see Big Country and Shane Carwin fight, almost none. Maybe Zuffa can sign Hong Man Choi for some real freak show fights.

Maybe Zuffa can sign Hong Man Choi for some real freak show fights.

Maybe it will come to that. Beyond the TUF problems and JBJ's injury, I think that Zuffa is really suffering from growing too big too fast. They are going to have to stop flying by the seat of their pants and get things under control. They are really the only game in town, but that doesn't mean that they can't hurt themselves.

Maybe it will come to that. Beyond the TUF problems and JBJ's injury, I think that Zuffa is really suffering from growing too big too fast. They are going to have to stop flying by the seat of their pants and get things under control. They are really the only game in town, but that doesn't mean that they can't hurt themselves.

they used to have 1 PPV a month and/or 1 live card a month. now there is TUFF and probably 2-3 cards a month on TV/PPV. fighters are getting injured faster, talent is getting watered down, there is not enough time to hype some of these cards and events and them Bam, there is another show on TV or PPV. heck, sometimes there is a card and I have no idea who's fighting outside the Main Event.

too big, too fast, is right. might be time for them to slow down a bit, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

they used to have 1 PPV a month and/or 1 live card a month. now there is TUFF and probably 2-3 cards a month on TV/PPV. fighters are getting injured faster, talent is getting watered down, there is not enough time to hype some of these cards and events and them Bam, there is another show on TV or PPV. heck, sometimes there is a card and I have no idea who's fighting outside the Main Event.

too big, too fast, is right. might be time for them to slow down a bit, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

The funny thing is, I think it's actually cut down on my MMA viewing. I used to have satellite, and I watched lots of regional promotions on Cuban's network, and always caught Bas' show. I bought a fair number of UFC events too. Now that I have switched to Time Warner, I never watch anything unless it's a free Fox broadcast. I can't remember the last time I bought a UFC event. Maybe I'm not as interested in the new fighters as I was in the older ones, but I don't think that's a reflection on quality of the good newbies (or that I've just turned into a crank). It seems like they just come and go. When somebody I like is scheduled to fight, it either gets scratched at the last minute or it's the only fight on the card that I want to see.

I miss the days when I would be eagerly waiting for the next Pride event.

Bob Sapp vs. Giant Silva in a ladder match. Ken Shamrock is ref'ing.

THAT I would buy.

I usually don't watch Bellator, enough fights to keep up with in UFC, but I think I will try to catch at least part of Bellator 77 tonight. I want to see Sarnavsky (sp?) fight.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i'm glad i found this thread. now i can voice my opinion that this season of TUF SUCKS!. why oh why is Roy Nelson a coach? and why oh why is he fighting Carwin? is it just me or does everyone think that Nelson is going to get destroyed? i think this has been the worst season yet, and the Nelson vs Carwin fight is gonna suck too.

i would agree, i haven't even been watching it really. i preferred the live format actually, at least it was something different.

IMHO TUF needs to just go away. It was somewhat interesting for a few seasons but the fights are rarely worth the drama of the rest of the show. Also, I agree that there are too many UFC shows currently. The development of a solid fighter base has not kept pace with the growth of the market. Too many top heavy shows. Give me a quality card, top to bottom, and I will purchase the PPV.

TUF is well and truly dead and no amount of West Lynn resuscitation will bring it back to life. It's deader than Pride. I think that there are so many other ways that Zuffa could use the reality format to hype the UFC. I would love to see them pick one of the top training sites in the country, embed a camera crew and a host, and show what goes on there during the season. This year it's AKA; next season is Black House; next year it'll be Jackson. Follow the routines of UFC fighters, maybe show some behind-the-scenes at Zuffa events. You could go with some of the guys from Black House when they are back in Brazil recruiting or promoting at some event. It doesn't have to all be fighting. They can intersect with Zuffa for fights or fan events--Uncle Dana flies in and picks them up and they go to Afghanistan or something. I think that the show would write itself.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Give me a quality card, top to bottom, and I will purchase the PPV.
agreed. i've purchased and watched a lot of PPV and they all had 1 good fight match up, the "main event" and thats it. and 90% of the time they arn't worth the 60 bucks. you have 3 hours of fights, well 45 min actually, and the rest is hype, promotions, and THEN 1 quality match up. I remember renting VHS tapes back in the 90's and i thought all the fights were great. $60 to watch Anderson Silva fight for 3 minutes 23 seconds hardly seems worth it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
ok heres a question. Anderson Silva's manager said they want to fight GSP next.

so Silva vs GSP.

will it happen?
i highly do not think it will, but that's one PPV i'd pay for.

Top Bottom