What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Looking to get a sturdy heavy OC merkurs, gillette maybe- dont want to spend a whole lot- lay it on me

Get a heavy custom handle and put it on the head of your choice.

Win win...

You get the head you want and the sturdy heavy you want all at the same time.

No compromises necessary. If you really want to go all out specify the exact weight and length of handle you want.

proxy.php

What kind of razor is this?

Custom built razor.

that looks like a replated NEW on a Bob's Razor Works custom handle, to me.

If I had to be more specific I'd guess it's a long comb NEW on a Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle. Turtle will be along shortly to tell me what I've won.:001_tongu

Ding ding ding give the man a cupie doll...

It is a Bob's Razor Works custom razor consisting of a re-plated Gillette New long comb head and a custom deluxe bull mastiff handle (both plated to match).

Bob has seemed to vanish from the face of the earth lately but here is his website where you can look at his custom razors (and order one when he shows up again)

https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles

what are good heads OC and handles

Bob's Razor Works handle
iKon Bull Dog handle
Weber handle
Tradere handle

I'm sure others will fill out the handle list

As far as heads you may want to grab some inexpensive user grade open comb razors to find what you are looking for. Once you have a head picked out that you like to shave with you can have it re-plated along with the handle of your choice so that you have a matched custom razor.

Picking out a razor head is a personal task. No one can tell you what you will like and dislike. You have to invest the time and put them all to your face to make this decision

turtle was trying to be helpful when he posted the link to Bob's website, but if I were you I would be careful going there. Bob is not in action right now anyway, and a lot of guys are saying that after they perused his site recently they've been bombarded with spam e-mails. There is a rumor that Bob's site got hacked.

brother cavefish, if you want a mild OC you can get a Merkur 1904 to start with. If you are set on having a "heavy duty" set-up and don't mind mixing and matching heads and handles there are several options. Bob's is great but he is on indefinite hiatus right now. Both iKon and Weber make handles they call "bulldog" handles, both of which are really nice; I personally prefer the iKon but either is a winner. These are short, stubby, heavy handles with intense knurling; very industrial looking. The Tradere handle is more sophisticated (to my eye) and much longer. To get a head you'll probably have to buy an entire razor and then just use the head. A NEW is a good starting point, but if you want a modern, aggressive head you could get a FaTip.

turtle was trying to be helpful when he posted the link to Bob's website, but if I were you I would be careful going there. Bob is not in action right now anyway, and a lot of guys are saying that after they perused his site recently they've been bombarded with spam e-mails. There is a rumor that Bob's site got hacked. .

Bob's AOL email account was compromised. His website is safe.

Only those who had email correspondences with Bob were sent spam as the hacker had access to Bob's email account.

Has anyone bothered to send Bob a letter through the mail? Anyone who has bought a handle or razor from him should have his return address on the package or envelope. I discarded my envelope after getting my Bull Mastiff handle.
Just a thought.

Has anyone bothered to send Bob a letter through the mail? Anyone who has bought a handle or razor from him should have his return address on the package or envelope. I discarded my envelope after getting my Bull Mastiff handle.
Just a thought.

My brother had a conversation with Bob before his move....Bob informed him then that the earliest he would up and running would be beginning to mid-june....I think everyone is kinda of jumping the gun with Bob..... depending on his move, etc it may just be awhile before his starts up....just my .02

My brother had a conversation with Bob before his move....Bob informed him then that the earliest he would up and running would be beginning to mid-june....I think everyone is kinda of jumping the gun with Bob..... depending on his move, etc it may just be awhile before his starts up....just my .02

Thanks Ken, I missed Bob's mention that he was going to be away and so in early April I tried to contact him, just after that I heard he was moving so I figured I'd wait but I wasn't sure of the date he expected to return. I'm sure I can keep my RAd in check until he gets back, it will give me a chance to save up some as well.

You haven't seen the other one then..... :lol:

I did a head to head comparison of the BRW New long and short comb razors a little while ago

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...difference-between-Gillette-New-LC-or-SC-head

proxy.php

wow; theyre both stunning, but I like the long comb better (lookswise; never shaved with either)

Looks wise, I agree, the LC looks better....but on my face I find the SC is a little more aggressive (the opposite of Turtles findings..) and due to the design can use a slightly more shallow angle which makes it for efficient for me and my face......

The Bullmastifs are sweet.....just got a iKon handle but waiting for Bob's return to get one of his fine pieces.

Top Bottom