What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Ok...BUT....wouldn't you say that was the design with Gillette?? that head with that handle for those results...??? I would say they designed the Big Fellow to perform exactly the way it performs.
no, the head is a old type or new deluxe head, these were made way before the Big fellow design, so they could not have made this razor around that designed heads, the old type head has been around for many years before the Big fellow, gillette just knew that weight made a difference in shaving.

Last edited:
put weight on any razor and it can make a difference, the heads on the Toggle are the same as the other adjustable, however the weight is what makes them shave better, in my opinion.
I like my heavier handle razors. The extra weight seems to add just enough extra pull on the blade to make them shave easier and more effectively for me.

Last edited:
Ok, i have a Stahly, that razor performs better w the heavy handle than a light handle.

LOL.....Sometimes I think things get lost in the translation on forums!!

Alex...I totally understand your point...big heavy handles add more weight and can increase the aggressiveness .....I understand that....again that was my point with the Big fellow.... Gillette designed that razor to be aggressive my using the old head with that handle...

BUT for me...the way I hold my razor, my light touch...I dont see a difference when I try various handles and normally prefer the handles the designers of the razor had in mind when the designed it.....

So the Joris for example...they designed that head to be used with its handle for its shaving characteristics... you change the handle...you've changed the way that razor was designed to shave.

Does anyone getting the point I'm making?? or is it just too late and I'm rambling and making no sense....LMAO!!

Alex...I totally understand your point...big heavy handles add more weight and can increase the aggressiveness .....I understand that....again that was my point with the Big fellow.... Gillette designed that razor to be aggressive my using the old head with that handle...

BUT for me...the way I hold my razor, my light touch...I dont see a difference when I try various handles and normally prefer the handles the designers of the razor had in mind when the designed it.....

So the Joris for example...they designed that head to be used with its handle for its shaving characteristics... you change the handle...you've changed the way that razor was designed to shave.

Does anyone getting the point I'm making?? or is it just too late and I'm rambling and making no sense....LMAO!!
oooohhhh, i get it

Last edited:

Great minds think alike, Ken!! i understood you from the moment you said Open-Combs rule!! Oh, yea, and the above too!

My Old type bit me pretty good yesterday. And left some razor rash today! If this keeps up, she's going to the back of the closet. And bad things happen at the back of the closet!
proxy.php

Is that Ralph down there?

Good Lord, I hope that there are no onions down there!

Oh yeah. I understand. However, you got to wonder if someone just says, "damn that looks cool" and goes with it.

I am trying to decide between the Fatip Piccolo and the Fatip Grande. Is the Grande a 2 piece razor? I have three open combs and like to use them once in a while, so I am thinking about adding a fourth. I am also thinking about the R41 but I don't know if I want to suffer that much. I sometimes feel like a moth must as it flies into the flame!

Thanks

Last edited:
My R41 shaves a lot better with the Tradere handle. Much less irritation. I love the additional weight on this combo.
Ok...BUT....wouldn't you say that was the design with Gillette?? that head with that handle for those results...??? I would say they designed the Big Fellow to perform exactly the way it performs.

For me...and YMMV....I haven't seen any improvement when i try mixing handles up.....tried various handles with Old types, News, R41.....but I'm also the type that holds my razor pretty close to top of handle, closer to head....

I am trying to decide between the Fatip Piccolo and the Fatip Grande. Is the Grande a 2 piece razor?

They're both 3-piece, just with different handles.

The balance between the two is a little different - it seems to me that the Grande is more weighted towards the had because the handle is lighter (though bigger), and the Piccolo has the weight more evenly distributed.

But for me they both shave beautifully and I can't really detect any difference in their action, so my feeling is that it makes sense to get whichever handle suits the size of your hands better. (Though I took what seemed like the only sensible option and got both!)

Thanks Oscroft. I am leaning towards the Piccolo first. If I like it then the Grande. It sounds like it isn't quite the fire breathing dragon that the R41 is supposed to be.

Thanks Oscroft. I am leaning towards the Piccolo first. If I like it then the Grande. It sounds like it isn't quite the fire breathing dragon that the R41 is supposed to be.

No, they're aggressive, but they're quite a bit more forgiving than the R41. (A size comparison photo to come in my next post...)

The 2011 R41 really isn't the blood monster people have made it out to be is it? I think I am gonna try one. I've been in love with my SE's and I'm looking for a DE that comes close.

Top Bottom