What's new

SOTD April 4th, 2011 through April 10th, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only got time for a quick pit stop today, so no time for individual comments.

Another day of great SOTD's!

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!

Motörhead & Jack night with a couple co-workers tonight!

Duke2
King Cutter 5/8
MWF
Old Spice White Water

proxy.php

tech
grocery store dorco blade
VDH Boar
VDH Soap
WH/AV mix

DFS this morning, have a great weekend, ya'll.:thumbup1:

Merkur 25C
Wilkinson mixed boar/badger
Derby blades
Palmolive classic stick with few drops of glycerin (that works awesome!)
Shaveworks The Cool Fix
TOBS Jermyn St. Moisturising cream

Great weekend to all of you!

Saturday morning,

Merkur 15C Open-Comb w/ Crystal Blade,
Rooney 1/2 "Super" Silvertip Brush,
Arko shave soap w/ hot water lather,
Cold water rinse, finish w/ Thayers
Original Witch Hazel. DFS! :thumbup:

I've gotten out of the habit of SOTD posts, and don't plan to take it up again regularly, but . . .

Ever-Ready 1914
Gem Stainless SE blade, 5th shave
Ever-Ready brush re-knotted with badger
Van der Hagen Deluxe soap

Saturday, 4.9.11

Aura Glow
Real Shaving Company LE Shave Cream
New Forest 2221 High Mountain Badger
H.Diamond #74 Full Hollow
Neil Miller Strop .. 65 Linen/75 Bridle
Witch Hazel
Bloc Osma
Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum AS

Great SOTD's this week, everyone!

proxy.php

Hardware:
  • Gillette Slim
  • Derby blade
  • Superior 25mm SBB
  • Weller bowl

Software:
  • J M Fraser's Polar Ice SC
  • Witch hazel
  • Osage Rub
  • Lucky Tiger's Vanishing Cream.

DE 89L ● Personna Lab ● Rooney Finest 3/1 ● MdC ● PdP
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Honing Experiment (Series 1 - Coticule Polish/Finish)

Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: 22mm New Forest Silvertip Badger
Razor: 5/8" Geneva Cutlery, Full Hollow, Round Point (from Rene)
Honing Regimen: (1) Shapton Pro 1k (Bevel setting), and (2) La Grosse Blanche Coticule (sharpen/polish/finish - dilucot method)
Strop: 0 laps (Neil Miller linen/Premium IV leather)
Überlather: TOBS "Eaton College Collection" Shave Creme + Ogallala "Bay Rum" Shave Soap/Stick + Glycerin
Toner: Thayer's Witch Hazel (Rose Petal, no alcohol)
Moisturizer: Trumper's Fragrance-free Moisturizer
After Shave Splash: Floïd Italian Blue
After Shave Balm: L'Occitane "L'Occitan" ASB
Point of this experiment: Well guys, in the next several shaves, I will be doing an experiment to correlate edge aesthetics with shave performance. I had started a thread HERE some weeks ago about this. In it (post #1), I decided to use 3 razors of the same make and (almost) same size and a couple of series of experiments to determine this (see post #41 in that thread). Rene was kind enough to volunteer three of his Geneva cutlery razors for this. I have posted the results of what the edge looks like (with the Coticule polish/finish) at 400X magnification and this SOTD outlines what I think of the actual shave. Over the next week or so, I will progress and update this thread and hopefully make an assessment of what edge I prefer and what it looks like. Here's how I will do this. Shave 1 day, take a break the next and repeat with a new honing process in the series. All variables (brush, soap, creme, etc...) will be kept the same so as not to influence the shave results.
Results: When honed up, she took on a nice edge and was super sharp and passed the HHT with flying colors. On my face, this blade felt ultra sharp. 3 passes; (1) WTG: the sharp edge cut the whiskers with ease, (2) XTG: same thing with a little more clean up, (3) ATG: the blade really cleaned up any ghosts left behind. However, there was a level of smoothness that was missing. I have come up with a new rating for this experiment. (A) Sharpness, and (B) Smoothness. Here's how I rate this shave: Sharpness: 9 or 9.5, and Smoothness: 6. If interested to see more, see this link here. I have pictures of the bevel/edge at 400X magnification. My next shave will be Monday with series 1 (#2 - which is the Coticule sharpen and Escher polish/finish).

proxy.php

Now, some of you may be wondering what those little "needle-striken" doll like toys are. Well, Rene was also kind enough to send my wife some P90X workout DVDs (Kick A**) and these represent voodoo dolls that my wife and I can use to curse (i.e., thank) Rene every time we work out (and last night we worked out and today we are hating him, LOL). Thanks buddy
proxy.php

Rene: Thank you for everything my friend
proxy.php
. You were instrumental in making this experiment happen buddy. I owe you one, BIG time...and thank you for the P90X DVDs (and the Bay Rum). Both my wife and I love them and thank you (ooops sorry...curse you,
proxy.php
).

Have a FABULOUS Saturday gentlemen
proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom