What's new

Music to shave by?

Since shaving seems to be the "zen" moment of the day... some time to myself... I've been listening to Yo-Yo Ma during my routine. It helps me get into the right zone.

Does anyone else add music to their shaving routine?

I've just recently started adding music to the mix as I'm now a dedicated night shaver. Here lately it's been a lot of chillout music; Hammock, Stars Of The Lid, Loscil, Helios, and the like.

I keep a portable radio in the bathroom, and usually turn on talk shows. Depending on the time and day of the week, it might be something on NPR, or perhaps local chatter from The Jersey Guys, or else Coast To Coast AM with George Noory.

If I'm getting styled up to go out to a nightclub, I'll put on Top-40 dance music to get me in the mood. Some stations broadcast live from the clubs, so I can get a good idea of what sort of crowd is going to be there in advance.

But the best sound to shave by is Silence. So you hear nothing but the Whrrrsssh sound of whipping up some lather, and that satisfying Scrrrrrrch sound as you harvest your stubble.

Last edited:
Music always seem to give a mood to the shave. So far the best ones seem to be instrumental pieces, Cliffs of Dover, and Devil Went Down to Georgia.

The absolute worst has been when the random list pulls up something like Slayer or Dragonforce, not reccomended while using cutlery.

Sinatra + Shaving = Bliss.

Except for that damn album, September Of My Years. Yes, I can get a smile out of listening to "Man in the Looking Glass" while I'm looking in the looking glass, but as a middle aged codger listening to "Once Apon A Time", "It Gets Lonely Early" and "September Song"....:crying:

Music always seem to give a mood to the shave. So far the best ones seem to be instrumental pieces, Cliffs of Dover, and Devil Went Down to Georgia.

The absolute worst has been when the random list pulls up something like Slayer or Dragonforce, not reccomended while using cutlery.

O.O Dragonforce would be downright /dangerous/!

I love Devil Went Down to Georgia, but am not sure it's quite the right tone for shaving.

Instrumental - definitely.

Great topic Mista! I must admit, I don't have that luxury all that often but I think the last time I did I was listening to some String Cheese Incident.

Man, I'm deff hitting up myspace music and sampling every band I never hears that was mentioned on this topic at work tomorrow!

As a harmonica player myself, I tend to listen to a lot of blues harmonica music while I shave. I have a portalbe speaker connected to my MP3 player, and it's the greatest thing ever.:cool:

I like to bring my laptop in and listen to the sounds of the movie 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini. Sometimes I'll do other movies too. Barring that, a little bit of Opera or some Technology News.

Sinatra + Shaving = Bliss.

Except for that damn album, September Of My Years. Yes, I can get a smile out of listening to "Man in the Looking Glass" while I'm looking in the looking glass, but as a middle aged codger listening to "Once Apon A Time", "It Gets Lonely Early" and "September Song"....:crying:

These days, it should be this one:wink::

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3pv_GKDEec[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom