● Stirling Soap Company Finest badger fan
● Gillette Fatboy
● Gillette Platinum
● Lainess ~ Orange douce (shaving soap)
● Stirling Soap Company ~ Orange Chill AS

Enjoy your (super bowl) Sunday!

Last edited:
All of them.

To be honest, that might not be a bad idea.

I have been doing more research and some people seem to think that companies with RM business accounts will still be able to post blades through age verified services. I hope they are right, but the sparse information offered by Royal Mail seems to directly contradict this:

1707676193359.png

The actual legislation is the typical impenetrable legalese. It seems to suggest that the sending of a "bladed product" to a residential property by any means will involve the commission of an offence, but being able to show that reasonable efforts were made to ascertain that the recipient was over 18 could provide a defence. The issue is that the legislation also seems to require that items are "delivered into the hands" of someone over 18. It looks like Royal Mail simply don't want the responsibility, and since a lot of couriers already have blade bans in place I doubt they will want to take it on.

I am no legal expert so I might be mis-understanding, but I imagine we won't get any real clarity until after the cut-off date, when people try to continue "business as usual".

I still think it makes sense to grab a few hundred Feathers now, just in case!

I think I am declaring myself out.

I gave myself an exception of buying some PPI blades before their availability starts to decline, but with the upcoming changes to UK regulations around sending razor blades by post, I am concerned about general blade availability going forwards.

For those that don't know, the Royal Mail are banning the postage of any bladed items from April, including razor blades. Assuming people actually adhere to the law, this means that international sites like Razor Blades Club will probably no longer be an option for UK buyers, and since most UK couriers already have blade bans in place the postage options for UK-based shaving suppliers could become extremely limited.

You would like to think that common sense exceptions will be made so that businesses which sell razor blades and other bladed items can continue to trade normally, but there's no sign of that yet and UK institutions tend err on the side of stringent enforcement when new, ambiguously worded legislation comes into force. I have learned not to take it for granted that common sense will prevail!

So, it's not impossible that come April the only DE blade options available in the UK will be German Wilkies at £4 a pack from the local chemists - at least until solutions to the postage question are established.

With all that in mind, I would like create some additional insurance for myself and pick up a few hundred additional blades - including some of non-PPI origins - before the new legislation comes into force. Whilst I feel like these are exceptional circumstances, it does technically put me out.

For me, this restraint was mainly about avoiding software, brush and razor purchases. I will continue to play along as far as they are concerned, but I will be happier knowing that I have a slightly larger stockpile of blades to see me through in case the worst should happen.
Hi,

Oof. Tough situation there.

Cookie?

CM.jpg

Stan

To be honest, that might not be a bad idea.

I have been doing more research and some people seem to think that companies with RM business accounts will still be able to post blades through age verified services. I hope they are right, but the sparse information offered by Royal Mail seems to directly contradict this:

View attachment 1794756

The actual legislation is the typical impenetrable legalese. It seems to suggest that the sending of a "bladed product" to a residential property by any means will involve the commission of an offence, but being able to show that reasonable efforts were made to ascertain that the recipient was over 18 could provide a defence. The issue is that the legislation also seems to require that items are "delivered into the hands" of someone over 18. It looks like Royal Mail simply don't want the responsibility, and since a lot of couriers already have blade bans in place I doubt they will want to take it on.

I am no legal expert so I might be mis-understanding, but I imagine we won't get any real clarity until after the cut-off date, when people try to continue "business as usual".

I still think it makes sense to grab a few hundred Feathers now, just in case!
Definitely stock up now just in case. I would do the same thing in your situation.

Definitely stock up now just in case. I would do the same thing in your situation.
Me too.

Pre Sabbaricsl and with the already lingering news of Russian blades, I stocked up with a few hundred of each of my three blades

I believe I have enough to last me until I'm in my 80's, I'm currently 50. That is if I continue my one blade a week, shave every second day routine.

When I retire in 5y, if I decide to grow a beard, I'll have a whack of blades to give my kids who DE shave.

I like Permasharps, of which I now have a couple of hundred, and Feathers, of which I have around 90. I also have a few hundred of other blades which are not favourites but were purchased impulsively. I seem to have spent a lot of the past couple of years sampling with abandon and working through tucks of blades I don't particularly like, but until recently my stocks of my "old favourites" were down to almost nothing, so there was no "buffer" in place.

I don't have the disposable funds to blow on crazy quantities of blades, but if I pick up a few hundred Feathers and maybe another 100 Permasharps, I should have enough of my favourites to last me around 6 years.

I can't believe that the law is literally going to deprive us of razor blades, but it does look like a serious possibility! The fact that other UK shavers don't seem to be panicking means one of two things: a) I am over-reacting, b) I am the only person who has realised how potentially disruptive this could be.

It feels like there has to be a work around, otherwise businesses like Heinnie Haynes or knivesandtools.co.uk will be completely screwed, but it isn't clear what that will be unless there are couriers that will take the job on.

Well, if I am wrong I will have failed the restraint for no reason, but if I am right...just call me "Winston".

'I wanted to ask you whether you'd got any razor blades,' he said.

'Not one!' said Winston with a sort of guilty haste. 'I've tried all over
the place. They don't exist any longer.'

Everyone kept asking you for razor blades. Actually he had two unused ones
which he was hoarding up. There had been a famine of them for months past...

'I've been using the same blade for six weeks,' he added untruthfully.

:lol:

Does anyone recognise the quote?

Last edited:
Is the original 1984 quote about razor blades? If not I’m guessing cigarettes. (I really should have read that by now!)

100s? 1000s? I can’t wrap my mind around that! I’m still wondering if I’ll use the 130blades I got three years ago before I die! (Which will admittedly be sooner than most of you here.)

Last edited:
lol - when I started I had no idea what blade I would want... I found a site the you could order a single blade of about 110 or so different types. I decided to look them up and order a box of each (5-10 per box), I then tossed in a bulk box of several different that people seem to like and suddenly I have 2000+ blades. The very next thing I did was find the Excalibur thread and now seem to be averaging a month or so per blade. :eek2:

Suffice it to say that I spend zero mental energy worrying if I will have enough DE blades to make it through a sabbatical of any length that I am likely to be alive at the end. Toss in that I have become straight curious and am trying to work my way up that learning curve so on days that I have the leisure time I might not even use a DE blade.

If I was going to spend on shaving... it would be getting an oven so I can heat treat metal, but to be honest I would make several woodworking chisels and plane blades before I tried to make a straight (if I ever tried) I fear I really should be in a sabbatical for sewing stuff. I am really close ordering an industrial walking foot sewing machine to make stuff with webbing and heavy cordura. I am resisting by telling myself my skills are subpar so I am using the snot out of our household sewing machine (community property state so it is half mine right?). I have been told if I knock it out of time again... swmbo is going to hurt me.

Still out here but in the decade sabbatical.
Ruckin

Me too.

Pre Sabbaricsl and with the already lingering news of Russian blades, I stocked up with a few hundred of each of my three blades

I believe I have enough to last me until I'm in my 80's, I'm currently 50. That is if I continue my one blade a week, shave every second day routine.

When I retire in 5y, if I decide to grow a beard, I'll have a whack of blades to give my kids who DE shave.

Gillette Yellows and PreWar Wizamet for me. I have enough to get me well into my 80s. I doubt I’ll ever buy another razor blade. I turned 58 a couple weeks ago @brucered and I will be retiring later this year. I suspect Ill grow a beard every winter and shave during summers. That’s part of why I’m, in this sabbatical. I have so many great blades, soap, and after shaves I’m wondering if I’ll ever get through them all.

Top Bottom