The great 3D Printing thread

8.26.23 SOTD
Soap: TABAC
Brush: 3D Printed Simpson Alexander Trafalgar Synthetic
Razor: 3D Printed
Blade: Schick Injector
Aftershave: TABAC
20230825_142457.jpg

I had a great shave this evening with my Gold Tone Fat Handle G Tech and a combination OC SB 3D printed base plate. The plates are modified from my earlier design, and right now they're closer to medium aggression, so, I'll keep tweaking them for a slightly more aggressive feel. It was a fun shave. The 1st pass was with the OC and 2nd pass was with the SB.
20230924_183611.jpg

20230924_183714.jpg

20230924_184032.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-24 181010.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-24 181536.jpg

@SlimGem

You are making great razors. I hope I find a 3d printer locally.

I have one question please. How difficult is to clone a razor? I mean reproducing it exactly?

@SlimGem

You are making great razors. I hope I find a 3d printer locally.

I have one question please. How difficult is to clone a razor? I mean reproducing it exactly?
Thanks!

In the manufacturing world, I don't think it is difficult to reproduce any razor, and it seems to be happening more often nowadays. For someone like myself, it really depends on the complexity of the design.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. It is a conversion kit for turning the Fat Handle Gillette Tech into a Semi-adjustable Tech. The three 3D-printed anvils have different levels of efficiency, and a short cylindrical cavity with a cone-shaped bottom for self-centering when assembling. The hollow handle and the way the blade is clamped, causes the razor to provide clear audible feedback. Also, the anvils are marked with one, two, or three dimples which note the efficiency level. I'm hoping to have this project finished and available for download soon.

20231011_134307.jpg

20231011_134437.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-11 135809.jpg

Pardon the intrusion, I am just looking for a recommendation. I would like to test my ability with 3D modeling, before even thinking about buying a printer. Would Blender or any other free software for Mac mentioned here be a good way to start?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Pardon the intrusion, I am just looking for a recommendation. I would like to test my ability with 3D modeling, before even thinking about buying a printer. Would Blender or any other free software for Mac mentioned here be a good way to start?
I like Tinkercad for simple stuff. Its online. You run it in a browser. It lacks serious features, but the models I make with it print very well. Its a really good place to start. And its free.

I am just playing with Tinkercad. I am not planning on printing anything for the time being, but I have a question for when I decide I am ready to do it.
Would a printer be able to print details like the ones in this picture?
I am referring to the shape, not the colors, I am wondering about the transition from vertical to horizontal.

Copy of Copy of Brush Handle-6.jpeg

Copy of Copy of Brush Handle-7.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am just playing with Tinkercad. I am not planning on printing anything for the time being, but I have a question for when I decide I am ready to do it.
Would a printer be able to print details like the ones in this picture?
I am referring to the shape, not the colors, I am wondering about the transition from vertical to horizontal.

View attachment 1779532

View attachment 1779534
Yes, depending on the quality of your printer, and the total projection from vertical.
Less projection, lower layer depth, and a good printer can minimize fuzziness at unsupported horizontal prints.
You can include supports to help, but that means post print processing and clean up.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Let me start with I don't have a 3D printer. My father does but I often find his prints to be a bit rough. I have no clue if this is due to the device he's using or the materials. I have a friend that showed me 3d printed items that were smooth.

Anyways. I've been looking at a few things lately and think that 3D printing could bring these to life.

I have been thinking about, let's say a situation. That situation could open new possiblities for our daily shaving routines.

A Single edge spacer using a half DE blade. Something a bit more "universal" to open the SE razors side of things. Let's call it a double edge blade that mimics a GEM blade.

I don't use my SE razors as much as before. The shops that carry GEM style blades are very limited compared to Double Edge razor blades. The few that are out there are very good and cheap(price), that's not the issue. The issue is that I have a lot of DE blades that are not designed to work in a SE razor.

I saw the thread where I could snip the end of a DE blade to put it in my 1912 GEM. I have yet to try it but then, my cheap brain thinks about killing the second edge of the blade.

So, usually, when I think about something new (at least new for me), someone already made it before. But this one, I haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I have seen some threads about the idea but not this one that includes 3D printing.

So, if I look at something like this
1716214832297.png
1716214867192.png

It looks right but it's still too large to fit a SE razor.

So, after snipping the blade in half, if the sides are snipped
1716215041638.png

That should work. The only part that needs resolving is how is the holder pinching the blade securly. I know that a few runs will be necessary as the blade angle will change, the thickness isn't the same. Red works better than blue, etc.

Just an idea, is something like that possible?

Let me start with I don't have a 3D printer. My father does but I often find his prints to be a bit rough. I have no clue if this is due to the device he's using or the materials. I have a friend that showed me 3d printed items that were smooth.

Anyways. I've been looking at a few things lately and think that 3D printing could bring these to life.

I have been thinking about, let's say a situation. That situation could open new possiblities for our daily shaving routines.

A Single edge spacer using a half DE blade. Something a bit more "universal" to open the SE razors side of things. Let's call it a double edge blade that mimics a GEM blade.

I don't use my SE razors as much as before. The shops that carry GEM style blades are very limited compared to Double Edge razor blades. The few that are out there are very good and cheap(price), that's not the issue. The issue is that I have a lot of DE blades that are not designed to work in a SE razor.

I saw the thread where I could snip the end of a DE blade to put it in my 1912 GEM. I have yet to try it but then, my cheap brain thinks about killing the second edge of the blade.

So, usually, when I think about something new (at least new for me), someone already made it before. But this one, I haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I have seen some threads about the idea but not this one that includes 3D printing.

So, if I look at something like this
View attachment 1849310View attachment 1849311

It looks right but it's still too large to fit a SE razor.

So, after snipping the blade in half, if the sides are snipped
View attachment 1849314

That should work. The only part that needs resolving is how is the holder pinching the blade securly. I know that a few runs will be necessary as the blade angle will change, the thickness isn't the same. Red works better than blue, etc.

Just an idea, is something like that possible?
I think this is where you have to give it a try to better understand how well it works in practice. To go through a few prototypes to see what functions and then see what you like to shave with. I could imagine one going through a number of tries to even get close.

The trimmed edges seem like a good idea in order to remove the bent section of the blade which would otherwise introduce a variation in thickness. But you point out the critical issue of how to securely hold the blade? A friction fit is probably not a great idea as that will make the blade harder to load, increasing the chance of finger cuts when loading. I wonder if you could mimic some of those shavette style loaders, I am specifically thinking about the Focus Slim AL, where where the head is split in half. One side (maybe the top cap?) has a couple of nibs much like a round bolt head and the base plate has some slots much like a reclined t-track that would clamp the two parts together as they slid in place. And perhaps print a shallow channel to hold the bent ends of a snapped-in-half DE to help provide some spring force. If the printing was precise enough and the material strong enough.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I’m still thinking about it and I am slowly doing the tutorials on tinkercad. I have 2-3 designs that I would like to test.

One of them could be 2 pieces that clips the blade. To be continued…

Top Bottom