What's new

What's your go-to bottom shelf whisky?

This is really good for the price. The best low end scotch I have found. No spirit caramel, which is a big plus for me (although that can make for some amazing mouthfeel if you can ignore the taint of it). Non Chill filtered too. The best bang for the buck.

All the Deanstons have been good to great in my book.

Attachments

• ci-deanston-virgin-oak-96989251e41c27c6.jpg
    ci-deanston-virgin-oak-96989251e41c27c6.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1
My favorite would have to be Heaven Hill, it's a pretty solid bourbon for what it is.

View attachment 1709327

I rarely drink though so I can usually afford to purchase some of the finer stuff. I've still got bottles I bought years ago that aren't yet at half.
That is a pretty good pour, tastes like Jim Beam w/o the yeast funk. Easy drinking too. If you have the higher proof or older bottles, they are actually quite collectible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There always seems to be at least one shelf lower down than I can reach. I suppose if I am ever desperate for paint thinner ...

Bettom shelf - Johnnie Walker Red Label
My regular daily driver, the one I drink the most - Glenfiddich 12 (I don't think it's bottom shelf, but it's not top shelf either)
Johnnie Walker Red, Churchill’s Scotch, is not anywhere near bottom shelf. I consider it a rare treat to drink that great whiskey.

The only whiskey I drink is boubon and I drink it straight with ice. I have no "bottom shelf" as drinking that stuff straight is not enjoyable. Lowest I'll go is usually Woodford Reserve.

Does bottom shelf mean bad, or cheap? I don't drink whiskey anymore really but nobody should drink bad whiskey. For cheap id run down somebody with a still that's still warm.

The only whiskey I drink is boubon and I drink it straight with ice. I have no "bottom shelf" as drinking that stuff straight is not enjoyable. Lowest I'll go is usually Woodford Reserve.
At one time Woodford was top shelf, and is still very medium up. If you drink on the rocks, give Evan Williams Bottled in Bond a go. The ice cuts down on the proof burn, and there are lots of nice flavors in there.

Here's another tip. If you find something cheap that you like, but it has too much of a sharp edge, bottle condition it for a few years. The slow oxidation will even our some rough corners. This works best with glass bottles with plastic caps. Buy a case or two and put it way in dark cool place and grab a bottle every once in while.

It worked amazingly well with a case of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.

Here's another tip. If you find something cheap that you like, but it has too much of a sharp edge, bottle condition it for a few years. The slow oxidation will even our some rough corners. This works best with glass bottles with plastic caps. Buy a case or two and put it way in dark cool place and grab a bottle every once in while.

It worked amazingly well with a case of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.
Funny you would mention Evan Williams Bottled In Bond.
That's what I'm drinking tonight. 🍺

I’m not a huge fan of what “plain” Woodford has become. Double Oaked is still pretty darned good though.
It is very smooth and easy drinking. Some folks call that bland and lacking character. The Double Oak probably is nice medium ground. Haven't had that myself. But neither bottle has a place on a bottom shelf list.

Another option would be to spice up a lower cost bottle with a shot or two of something more potent.

For example:

Fill up the neck of a Beam white with OGD 114.

The same with Benchmark 8 and Old Forester 100.

Old School- the same with Old Crow and Wild Turkey.

Really out there- add a shot of peated scotch to any bourbon. Gives it a very long lasting finish. Better on cold and dark nights.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I can’t quite call it “bottom shelf”, but when on the road and not wanting to spend more for better, I never had a problem with Dewars White Label. On the rocks or with a splash of water, depending on the season. Never harsh or hot. A few bartenders would quietly mention that it’s what they tossed back at the end of a shift.

I drink very little anymore these days, so maybe the blends have changed since then.

Top Bottom