What's new

What's your go-to bottom shelf whisky?

I haven’t had it in a while, but I used to like Evan Williams black label. I wouldn’t turn it down if offered a glass.

But as I’ve gotten more into drinking bourbons. I prefer the higher proof’s now.

For me it’s now Wild Turkey 101 🦃

On blended Scotch I’m happy with Famous Grouse and White Horse. Would like to get my hands on a bottle of Teacher’s Highland Cream which, to my knowledge, is the the most sold Scotch in the UK.

I think this thread may have drifted a couple shelves up from "bottom shelf".

;)

I was thinking that on the first page! I dont consider any Talisker, even the cheapest Talisker Storm, to be bottom shelf. Buffalo Trace? Makers Mark? Even WT 101?

When I hear bottom shelf I think Jim Beam white label, EW black label, military special, Old Crow for bourbon. Cutty Sark, clan MacGregor, and JB blend for scotch. The "well under $20" bottles.

My go to bottom shelf will be Evan Williams hands down. You can even go up one shelf and get BiB for a couple bucks more. It's truly a great pour for the price. Not really complex, not the smoothest, but dang good for the change spent on it. For Scotch about the lowest shelf down I'll go is Dewars or Famous Grouse. If I'm poor at the moment, I'll usually stick with bourbon. If I'm gonna drink scotch, I want to drink at least a passable single malt. Really all of this is kinda moot for me. I think I've finished maybe five 750ml bottles in the past 2 years. So... it's not like I drink whiskey all that often. Because of that, my opinion is worth what you paid for it!

Here in UK Old Forestor is more expensive than Buffalo trace ! And its only $4 less than Woodford Reserve so always go for BT or WR
I do like an OF86 dram now and again, mainly for the memories and because it was Philip Marlowe's drink of choice. so its great to drink it while reading Marlowe

Here in UK Old Forestor is more expensive than Buffalo trace ! And its only $4 less than Woodford Reserve so always go for BT or WR
I do like an OF86 dram now and again, mainly for the memories and because it was Philip Marlowe's drink of choice. so its great to drink it while reading Marlowe
Is Teacher‘s still the most sold Scotch in the UK or stuff like Bell‘s/Famous Grouse/…?

Recently scored a bottle of Very Old Barton which has become one of the collectables and is unobtanium where I live. Not bad for $16, but I've decided that Wild Turkey 101, available and recently on sale for $22, is my official go to. Gonna keep some Old Grand Dad 114 and maybe some Old Forester in the mix for variety.

Is Teacher‘s still the most sold Scotch in the UK or stuff like Bell‘s/Famous Grouse/…?
Within Glasgow everyone drinks Grouse or Teachers ( last time I was there)
If you go towards the east of Scotland people like Bells ( especially the older generation)
Again this is only my experience ..

Personally I think Teachers is the best blend for robustness , although I do like Whyte and Mackay
The teachers of a few years ago was better than many single malts , but I noticed the quality does vary every couple of years .

Within Glasgow everyone drinks Grouse or Teachers ( last time I was there)
If you go towards the east of Scotland people like Bells ( especially the older generation)
Again this is only my experience ..

Personally I think Teachers is the best blend for robustness , although I do like Whyte and Mackay
The teachers of a few years ago was better than many single malts , but I noticed the quality does vary every couple of years .

I do have a soft spot for White Horse as far as blends go but I don’t buy them too often. Now I have a bottle Antiquary Red waiting.

Last edited:
I do have a soft spot for White Horse as far as blends go but I don’t by them too often. Now I have a bottle Antiquary Red waiting.
I used to love white horse, the old blend used to have a fair bit of Lagavulin in the blend, I am not sure of that is still the case. recently I have been drinking less peaty stuff and more bourbon.
The black bottle 10 I had a couple of months ago was quite dissapointing and I have now gravitated back to Bourbon and Brandy.. I feel the scotch industry needs to get its act together . the only blend I really drink on a regular basis now is either teachers , W& M or Cutty Sark Prohibition

It(white horse) seems to be far more available in EU than the uk nowadays
I know a local store that still has a couple of bottles so may have to revisit soon.

Top Bottom