What's new

A post that I have been dreading to make

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
@Kentos - you’re in Hawaii, right? I may reach out to you about visiting your fair state.

Sure! I sent another member here a bunch of touristy brochures, and I can do that for you too. To be honest tho, I would avoid my island of Oahu. More of a tourist trap maybe? It’s a city with some nice areas, but you would get better taste of the islands on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, even Lanai, but it is $$$$. Heck it’s all $$$. Ever since covid the govt has been raising the cost of visiting to out of state tourists.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Got good news today after my CT scan. The lesions on my liver have started to reduce in size, as has the tumor in my throat, which has been making swallowing hard. My body is responding to the chemo. Not a miracle yet, but it will likely buy me a little more time. Going to go on short term disability, which covers me for 26 weeks (go to long term after that if I don’t return to work). For far too long, Mary and I have been going above and beyond helping grown assed adults with their children. That is coming to an end- time for people to step up. It worries me a little, but it is time for me and Mary to start enjoying what time I have left. Already planning a great vacation (hopefully Hawaii), catch a few baseball games, go see a mariachi band, etc. My wife deserves to finally start having fun. She is my love, and she deserves everything that I can give her.

Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and responses. It has been good emotional support for me. I’ve said it before, but this is the best little corner of the Internet

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Please forgive me Owen, I am just now reading this. I am saddened you are dealing with this ugly cancer and I am encouraged by you latest report of a reversal of your liver lesions. I will be praying for you. Continue the good fight!

Got good news today after my CT scan. The lesions on my liver have started to reduce in size, as has the tumor in my throat, which has been making swallowing hard. My body is responding to the chemo. Not a miracle yet, but it will likely buy me a little more time. Going to go on short term disability, which covers me for 26 weeks (go to long term after that if I don’t return to work). For far too long, Mary and I have been going above and beyond helping grown assed adults with their children. That is coming to an end- time for people to step up. It worries me a little, but it is time for me and Mary to start enjoying what time I have left. Already planning a great vacation (hopefully Hawaii), catch a few baseball games, go see a mariachi band, etc. My wife deserves to finally start having fun. She is my love, and she deserves everything that I can give her.

Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and responses. It has been good emotional support for me. I’ve said it before, but this is the best little corner of the Internet
This is awesome news !!
Baseball games and Mariachi sounds like my neck of the woods - San Diego...

Sure! I sent another member here a bunch of touristy brochures, and I can do that for you too. To be honest tho, I would avoid my island of Oahu. More of a tourist trap maybe? It’s a city with some nice areas, but you would get better taste of the islands on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, even Lanai, but it is $$$$. Heck it’s all $$$. Ever since covid the govt has been raising the cost of visiting to out of state tourists.

Full disclosure - Not Hawaiian, nor raised there but I have been visiting family there for decades on both Oahu and Maui (Aiea and Wailuku respectively). Oahu is one of my short-list retirement destinations...

Personally, I would never steer anyone away from Oahu given its many conveniences and accommodations in comparison to the outer islands. Unless of course they state they are looking for something different. There are however, many traps to avoid or at least to identify for him - especially share some kanaka grindz :thumbup1:

If you're looking for that Waikiki Vibe (we all have to try it once, I get it), try staying at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. It's on the Southern end of Waikiki, so it's convenient yet removed. Literally 1 block from Duke's near Kuhio beach. Across the street is the Moana Surfrider hotel which has a perfect lanai for breakfast. This hotel is also a pretty quick out to Diamond Head, the Zoo, Manoa Falls, Leonard's Bakery, Rainbow Drive In, Shimazu Shave Ice, etc...

proxy.php

* Not my picture, but we essentially had this room.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is awesome news !!
Baseball games and Mariachi sounds like my neck of the woods - San Diego...

Full disclosure - Not Hawaiian, nor raised there but I have been visiting family there for decades on both Oahu and Maui (Aiea and Wailuku respectively). Oahu is one of my short-list retirement destinations...

Personally, I would never steer anyone away from Oahu given its many conveniences and accommodations in comparison to the outer islands. Unless of course they state they are looking for something different. There are however, many traps to avoid or at least to identify for him - especially share some kanaka grindz :thumbup1:

If you're looking for that Waikiki Vibe (we all have to try it once, I get it), try staying at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. It's on the Southern end of Waikiki, so it's convenient yet removed. Literally 1 block from Duke's near Kuhio beach. Across the street is the Moana Surfrider hotel which has a perfect lanai for breakfast. This hotel is also a pretty quick out to Diamond Head, the Zoo, Manoa Falls, Leonard's Bakery, Rainbow Drive In, Shimazu Shave Ice, etc...

proxy.php

* Not my picture, but we essentially had this room.
Thanks. I did want to go to the Pearl Harbor. Is it an easy day trip via boat or plane?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks. I did want to go to the Pearl Harbor. Is it an easy day trip via boat or plane?
Visiting the Arizona Memorial is a touching event.
If it's possible to do, don't pass up the opportunity.
Active Duty, military retired, or Veterans with a service connected disability can stay at the DOD Halekoa Hotel on Waikiki for very reasonable prices, but making reservations as far ahead as possible is recommended.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am trying to coordinate a vacation for the wife and I in Hawaii. ... Hell, I probably do something silly like volunteer to jump up and hula dance with the luau people ...

The hula dance is fine ... just no going on three hour tours.

1689125337191.png

To quote John Paul Jones- I have not yet begun to fight. I have a great life, and am going to hold on for all it‘s worth.
1689125396851.png

Got good news today after my CT scan. The lesions on my liver have started to reduce in size, as has the tumor in my throat, which has been making swallowing hard. My body is responding to the chemo. Not a miracle yet, but ...

... but close enough!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Visiting the Arizona Memorial is a touching event.
If it's possible to do, don't pass up the opportunity.
Active Duty, military retired, or Veterans with a service connected disability can stay at the DOD Halekoa Hotel on Waikiki for very reasonable prices, but making reservations as far ahead as possible is recommended.
Thanks for that information, Phil. I am looking into that now
The hula dance is fine ... just no going on three hour tours.

View attachment 1684894

View attachment 1684895

... but close enough!!
I think I’m going to do a hula lesson. Yeah, it might be hokey, but it is something out of my comfort zone. I want the wife and I to have fun, so she can take video of me dancing badly and laugh at it in the future. God, I owe this woman so damn much, we never had a honeymoon, and I want to give her something she will remember. Until lately I have never really shown how much I love and need her. Time to make up for that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mary sounds like a combination of Ginger and Mary Ann, so maybe that three hour tour is not a bad idea. I’m so glad to hear the good news about the latest scans, Owen.
She is special. I wouldn’t trade her. Shortly after we got married, she worked 2 jobs while I worked full time and went to school full time (thank god for my great MIL, RIP). I wouldn’t be where I am without her help.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
She is special. I wouldn’t trade her. Shortly after we got married, she worked 2 jobs while I worked full time and went to school full time (thank god for my great MIL, RIP). I wouldn’t be where I am without her help.
To clarify, my wife had children from previous relationship. Carmen really helped with that. She was such a sweetheart. She would defend me when my wife was getting on me. :) Near the end she lived with us.

Top Bottom