What's new

A post that I have been dreading to make

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I am very sorry to read your post. I join with everyone else who's posted to wish you all the best: joy, peace, comfort and the love of family and friends. On the good days, share that with us as you are able. On the bad days, share that with us as you are able. Shared joy is increased; shared pain is reduced.

O.H.

hey Owen! Thanks for posting about your experience with this disease. I think it's helpful to share these experiences. It can be a form of relief and also remind the rest of us that not every moment is a guaranty.

My late mother-in-law lived more than 5 years beyond her oncologist's projected lifespan due to her willingness to do anything and everything possible to fight. She survived well until May 2021.

Once she was diagnosed in 2016, my wife and I made it our personal mission to enjoy every moment we could with her. Every holiday, birthdays, take her on the vacations she had wanted to go on and very fortunate to be able to do so, play games (which she often handily beat us at), and are thankful to have so many memories in so many places and of so many things. We can never get more time, but what time we did have we made the most of.

So, my advice regardless of a medical hurdle or not is to maintain present moment awareness and enjoy every moment you can with as many people and things that bring you joy as much for you, but also for them.

This news is hard, and even harder for you to write. God gave each of us a life to make an impact on those around us. Your life continues to be important and valuable to people closest to you; but especially to God who created you. He has given you a fighting spirit, don’t ever give up. Kick cancer’s butt and may you have many more joyous years to come!!

In April of 2021 I was having trouble swallowing food. I got scoped and was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had 4 chemo treatments, full stomach removal, then four more chemo treatments. My last one was February 2022. Things were looking good. My weight was holding at a stable 170 pounds or so, and my strength was returning. In October 2022 a CAT scan showed I was still cancer free. In February of this year we were discussing getting my chemo port removed.

In April of this year, I started having pains that seemed to be intestinal. Everything was pointing at a possible ulcer. Then, an ultrasound revealed some spots on my liver. An MRI revealed 14 spots on my liver, and a biopsy proved that the cancer decided to pop up in my liver. So, I restarted under a new chemo regimen. Then, I started having problems swallowing again. I wasn't eating, and the weight was dropping badly. At one point a few weeks ago I weighed in at 135 pounds. At 5'10" I am beginning to resemble a skeleton. I go next week for a consultation about getting a feeding tube put in. I can't continue to fight this cancer at my current weight and strength levels.

So, to wrap up a long-winded post, it looks like I won't be around very much longer. I am scrambling to get my affairs in order, and will likely be going on long term disability, which will be 60% pay, but it keeps my health and life insurance active (my life policy is 3 times my annual salary- wife is going to need that). I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on B&B for making this place what it is. I have been here since 2010, and still find it hard to believe that one can belong to a forum where you can consider people you never met in person as friends. Many of you are kind of like family to me. I thank you for accepting me into this group of fine people.

To those who respond, I may not get back to you right away (this post has been a little emotionally rough), but I will try to do so as soon as I can.
You are in my prayers for strength, for hope.

I was suffering from a heart ailment that kept me hospitalized for extended periods before it was finally successfully treated. Through all those stays at various hospitals, and through all that mental and physical agony, my daily wet-shaving ritual was something that gave me a break from it all, and a little window of peace and joy that could not be taken away from me. It gave me strength, strength to hope and believe better times could yet emerge.
So Owen, poor fellow, do keep a carefully selected favourite shaving kit close at hand, at all times, and wherever you go. It may sound silly, but for me it meant a world of difference to have that tiny piece of normality, personality and indulgence close by along my journey. There can be a deeper "meaning" or purpose to wet shaving and "travel kits" that only truly emerges during tough times. I wish you Peace and strength on your way.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just a quick update. Got home from the hospital just a bit ago. They put in a feeding tube on Monday. I am doing a 10 hour pump during the night to give me 1200 calories, then I just supplement during the day with protein drinks, yogurt, etc. Before I was lucky to get 1000 calories a day. I was down to 125 when I checked in. Just two days off the pump has my strength going up. I feel better than I have in weeks. I restart chemo on Monday. I plan on filing long term disability paperwork next week. I will get paid 60% of my base pay to stay at home. I am going to take out a small loan against my life insurance policy to pay my cars off, so that will take my expenses down.

I will admit, it is going to be weird not working, but I want to enjoy the time I have left with my family- I don’t want to be the guy who dies on the job. I am trying to coordinate a vacation for the wife and I in Hawaii. I wanted to try Europe, but passports may take a bit too long. I want to have one last great vacation with my wife. Hell, I probably do something silly like volunteer to jump up and hula dance with the luau people. I may even get some video taken as proof. May as well have some fun.

I want to thank everyone at B&B for being my friend. It is weird to have such a bond with people on the internet, but we have some of the best people right here. We are a lot like family, and I am glad to know all of you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Don't give up the fight Owen. Never give up. Never.
I pray that you have the mental and physical strength to hang in there and beat this. It's been done before.
You have blood family that needs you around and you have B&B family that needs you around.
We can't say with any certaincy what the future holds, but we can be certain that you have people on your side pulling and praying for you.
To quote John Paul Jones- I have not yet begun to fight. I have a great life, and am going to hold on for all it‘s worth.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Kentos - you’re in Hawaii, right? I may reach out to you about visiting your fair state.
I have been there once. It is the closest place that I can imagine Heaven to be on this planet. I pray that you have as great a time there as I did my friend!

It was like living on a postcard for an entire week. I joke with my wife that Hawaii is the only place I have ever been where I didn't see even one ugly person. Just incredibly beautiful.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have been there once. It is the closest place that I can imagine Heaven to be on this planet. I pray that you have as great a time there as I did my friend!

It was like living on a postcard for an entire week. I joke with my wife that Hawaii is the only place I have ever been where I didn't see even one ugly person. Just incredibly beautiful.
All the time I spent there, I only saw one ugly person a day, and that was when I was shaving.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All the time I spent there, I only saw one ugly person a day, and that was when I was shaving.
Amen. I guess I should have left religion out of it, and not look like I was insulting you my friend!

I should have said, "I saw ugly ol' SELF in the mirror everyday!"

Seriously, we were less than 30 when we were there, and I joked with her while we were there that if for any reason I found myself single I was buying a one way ticket to Hawaii, cuz there ain't NOBODY else in my life werth 10 hours in the air one way that I need to see again!

Top Bottom