What's new

What Shavette / Barber Razor Did You Use Today?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Tuesday October 15, 2024 (OBtober 6th/OCtober 6th)
Razor: Weck Hair Shaper/RazoRock BBS-OC on Sidekick v.3.1 handle
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper (5)/Dorco Prime (5)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Well, I haven't spun out on the learning curve yet. :) I've struggled with shavettes over the years because I go slow. That means instead of dedicating 30 minutes to a nice relaxing head shave I have to plan on pretty much an hour to get there and it ain't all that relaxing sometimes. Oh well. I can always bail out and use a safety razor but I can be darned stubborn. If I'm always bailing out I'm not learning anything. I thought it was a real accommodation to allow the use of a safety razor head for final cleanups and trimming.

So today's shave lasted nearly an hour and the result, except for one area I had to shave around, is a DFS. I'm good with that.

Unlike their Gem blades, Personna Hair Shaper blades appear to be good longer than five shaves for me. Maybe. I'll know next day, but so far the results are good. I may get a better understanding of the blades as time passes. I'm waiting on some Fromm blades to arrive at Sally and also thinking about finding some Kismets if I can.

The BBS-OC, even on a side handle so it's like a Razorine, is still a pretty mild razor. Paired with a blade that's pretty much done, it's not the most efficient thing. Still, it was good for proof of concept and I appreciated the mild shave when cleaning up areas I'd already overdone a bit. Now that I'm getting that in hand I think I'll change the head and, as earlier speculated, will likely go with the Superslant L2++OC head.

Just for grins I'm going to write up a short piece on the Sidekick handle. I'm having fun with all of it!

O.H.

Wednesday 10/16 Shave
OCtober/OBtober Day 16
Open Blade/Open Comb

Switched to the Knight A77 Open Blade
Finished with the KARVE OC-G
Excellent Shave
It will be A77 Blades all this week

Razor: Knight A77 Shavette - Blue Scales
Blade: Rhinoceros A77 Blade (3X)
Lather: Talbot Shaving Grace Mix
Brush: AP ShaveCo G5C Knot
Post Shave: Mennen/Glacial Splash On

Post Shave: L T Piver Heliotrope Blanc

IMG_1442.jpeg

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Razor= Weck Orderly
Blade l= Kismet Hair shaper #2
Brush= Yaqi Everest synthetic
Soap= Tabac
Aftershave= Witch Hazel with added menthol

20241016_212730.jpg

Tonight's shave.

Was 3 passes with no touch ups drama free and almost BBS. I really enjoy shaving with the Orderly fits nice in the hand and has a good weight to it.

Yup. I don't know what was wrong today. The first use of the Pro Super last week went really well - that extra exposure and shallower angle was a plus for me. Today it was just rough as all get out and struggled on the tough stuff.

It must have been me having an off day - I can't believe the Pro Supers are genuinely that lacking in durability!

I know it's been a while since you made this post, but you are not alone. I don't think the Pro Supers live up to the hype. The Pro Supers didn't feel that sharp out of the box. The standard Feather Pro felt sharper. This seems to fall in line with the data in the blade sharpness research project. Of course, it could just be batch variation between production runs.

I just got done testing out several A/C style blades and the Pro Supers along with Kai Captains and Milds don't last for me. They are pretty much done by 4-5 shaves for me. The standard Feather Pro's lasted me for 8 shaves, as did the Schlick Proline "P" blades. Might try the Dorcos at some point.

Thursday 10/17 Shave
OCtober/OBtober Day 17
Open Blade/Open Comb

Knight A77 Open Blade
Finished with the Gillette Senator
Quick & Smooth Shave
It will be A77 Blades all this week

Razor: Knight A77 Shavette - Blue Scales
Blade: Rhinoceros A77 Blade (4X)
Lather: PAA Good Vibrations Sample
Brush: Vielong 14092 Horse/Badger Mix
Post Shave: Osage Rub Splash

Post Shave: PAA Good Vibration Aftershave

IMG_1444.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Pro Supers along with Kai Captains and Milds ... are pretty much done by 4-5 shaves for me. The standard Feather Pro's lasted me for 8 shaves, as did the Schlick Proline "P" blades. Might try the Dorcos at some point.

This may not "map" cleanly to their AC blades, but based on my experience with Dorco's supposedly best DE blade I imagine you'll get performance closer to the Kai and Feather blades out of them. The DE blade (Dorco Prime) is as smooth as an Astra SP for me but they don't last as long. I'll be interested to hear what you find when you go looking.

O.H.

the data in the blade sharpness research project...
...Kai Captains

The data on the Captains was real interesting - the rate of wear on them is much higher than the others and it's an instance where I can say that my experience of the blade does match the analysis. They start off feeling a definite step up from most of the others in terms of sharpness, but by shave 4 I definitely notice the drop-off more than with other blades.

I did get the hang of the Pro Supers eventually, although I still feel like they are sharper than the Pros despite what the data says.

I have never tried Dorco AC blades - I didn't know they existed!

Top Bottom