What's new

What Shavette / Barber Razor Did You Use Today?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday 20241004
20241004_142537~2.jpg

Razor: Weck Sextoblade (Two Passes)
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper (3 shaves, 6 passes)
20240818_134014~3.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB GTC (Touch-up Pass)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (18 shaves, 38 passes)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush STF
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Lavanda Cream
Post-shave Balm: Nivea
Aftershave: Lavanda Cologne

Superb 3-Pass DFS. :cool:

Please visit My Journal for shave notes.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday October 4, 2024 (OBtober 2nd/OCtober 2nd)
Razor: Fromm Hair Shaper/RazoRock BBS-OC on "Sidekick V3.1" handle
Blade: Personna Hair Shaper (1)/Dorco Prime (1)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Elsewhere I referenced a story behind the Fromm hair shaper. Goes like so: I have to thank @Dave himself for finally pushing me over the top on Weck razors. It sounds like so much fun! :) Plus he's got this Sextoblade with red lucite scales that just looks cool, so I got myself a Hair Shaper with red lucite scales. While that sale (it's still in the mail) may or may not include a guard, I wanted to pick up a guard. Rather than pay for shipping I recalled that my local Sally Beauty has Fromm hair shapers and they look like the all-steel Weck ones and they're only $12.99. So off to Sally I trotted to buy one.

Then started trying to figure out how to mod the comb guard for shaving. "Bend the teeth the other way" is pretty simple but seems to contain some pitfalls. [shrug] I'll sort it eventually. So here I am with a razor inbound, holding one somewhat like it, and a few packs of Personna hair shaper blades already in hand. I can see a plan happening.

I decided to just blade up and go for it, as I have never used a guard with any of my shavettes with the exception of the BBS-OC head mounted on a side handle. Besides, it's an Accutek blade and while their Gem blades are quite sharp on first use I like that so maybe? Good call, as it turned out. :)

It may be that my recent adventures shaving with a half-blade shavette tuned up my touch a little, but I noticed a difference with the hair shaper blades. Like a Gem blade, sharp. Yay. Also like a Gem blade, stiff. Again, yay. I'm still struggling with various ways to hold the razor to get to areas I want to shave, but it's getting easier. Took me a little longer, but it was pretty good. I also had the BBS-OC bladed up as a bailout razor and ended up using to put on the final polish after two passes and cleanups with the Fromm.

In the end I believe the Weck will work out just fine. While a hair shaper is a bit short for me, it's also maneuverable. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a Sextoblade eventually and give that a whirl. Wasn't the best shave ever, but I can let that be because it was really about learning. Good shaves will be along eventually.

Cheers, eh! and looking forward to next time!

O.H.

Saturday 10/5 Shave
OCtober/OBtober Day 5
Open Blade/Open Comb

Second shave with this style of A77 Razor
Much better results today - no Weepers
Awesome Shave - One of My BEST
Finish Pass with KARVE OC-G

Razor: Knight A77 Shavette
Blade: Rhinoceros A77 Mini (2X)
Lather: Apex Alchemy Brainfreeze Bloodshot
Brush: YAQI Rainbow Faux Horse Knot
Post Shave: Osage Rub Splash On

Post Shave: Apex Alchemy Aftershave Mix

IMG_1398.jpeg

Growth: 2 day beard
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: None
Brush: Semogue 1470
Lather: Colgate - Shaving Mug Soap
Load/Lather Bowl: Old Spice Mug

Razor: Feather DX (wood handle, folding razor)
Blade: Feather ProGuard (D3)

Razor: Schick 500 Injector Razor
Blade: Chinese Schick

First time using the Colgate Shaving Mug Soap. I grated it into my Old Spice mug. I pressed it down and added water on top of the soap and let it sit while showering. I soaked the brush while I showered. I did a Mantic59 Squeeze. Before each pass lather, I did 3 round trip add water to the tip of brush and work it into the puck. It generated an adequate amount of lather (with slow swirling as not to beat air into the lather). The lather was slick and had great cushion. It was an excellent lather.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20241005
20241005_112157~2.jpg

Razor: Weck Sextoblade (Two Passes)
Blade: Feather-Cut Special (2 shaves, 4 passes)
20240818_134014~3.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB GTC (Touch-up Pass)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (19 shaves, 39 passes)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Dragon's Blood Cream
Post-shave Balm: Nivea
Aftershave: Clubman Lustray Draggon Noir

Superb 3-Pass DFS+ :cool:

Please visit My Journal for shave notes.

BBS with a Pro Super in the SR. A little bit of irritation on those pesky spots either side of the top of my Adam's apple, which I just don't seem to be able to clean without going ATG S to N even though my skin hates it. I seem to struggle here particularly with the SR, which I put down to the profile of the razor. Although it doesn't have a bump like the SS, it won't shave with the spine flat to the skin. I find the ability to do that really helpful on my most challenging spots. I think that's one reason why I like the cheap and cheerful Sedefs so much, as they will shave with the spine completely flat - of course, the same can be said for the Wecks! Still, a very decent shave overall and the lack of weepers suggests I am getting the hang of the Pro Super!

20241005_181647.jpg

Top Bottom