What's new

Slant Bar = Best Results

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Saturday, August 17th 2024

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar 316 torsional slant with a modified GEM Micromatic handle, Mfg 2017> mid range to upper mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC(tight tolerances on the pins for accuracy is amazing IMO). I like to use a short handle with a steep angle(riding the bar) with a light touch seems to work excellent for great results. The shorter handle works the best with this razor head for less leverage and much quicker maneuver changes around the chin. Once mastered the razor performs very well IMO.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp(4) sharp and smooth with great longevity. Top tier performance IMO.
Soap : Razorock The Dead Sea croap, very interesting unique addictive scent that is a shaving treat when it comes up in my rotation + excellent lather qualities. I like to leave left over lather in the bowl for fragrance & hand washing in the washroom.
Brush : Yaqi "Cavern lake" 24mm synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Interesting visual handle with good ergonomics for grip + splendid knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead sea" splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my RR Wunderbar with a Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD August 17 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Not quite, there's nothing in the slide to equal that twisted blade.
This maybe true, but for me, who has been using the slide method for years, it seems to negate some of the advantage of the slant. In other words, I don't really knlw how to shave without the slide, so for me to take full advantage I would have to alter my usual way of shaving.

Also, not all slants are helical; some are canted. The slide not only matches the canted slant, but if you use the slide it renders the canted slant perfectly useless.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Also, not all slants are helical; some are canted. The slide not only matches the canted slant, but if you use the slide it renders the canted slant perfectly useless.
True, but the OP was referring to his Merkur and I was too.
Actually, when I think "slant" I think "torsionhobel" but that's just me.
Don't really consider the tilted head (Schrägschnitt) as a true slant -- Neo-Lux, Mulcuto

I am liking the multiple slant threads! I am enjoying the Superslant L2++ and had a fantastic shave with it today. I am also a fan of the merkur 37C. Like many have mentioned here, I am now tempted to get the Rex Konsul :biggrin1:

Yet another great shave this time with a Dorco blade. I think the blade is a bit too mild as I felt I had to bear down a bit. I liked the Feather better; all I need do in that case is glide with a light hand. The RazoRock is a closer shave, truly more efficient than the Merkur 37 and that is saying a lot.

Yeah; echoing @Iridian. The Superslants are excellent razors. I've been through several iterations: L1++OC, L2++OC, L3SB and L3++OC. I found the L1 to be a bit mild for my taste. My sweet spot for daily drivers seems to be either L2++OC or L3SB which are very close. I've lately acquired the L3++OC and my first impressions are that this is like the Wunderbar but without the occasional tendency to go for blood. I'm using that L3OC at the moment, so my opinion of it will refine over the course of the next couple of blades I run through it.

O.H.
Where's the excitement in that? Part of the joy of a Wunderbar is you never really know....

Yet another great shave this time with a Dorco blade. I think the blade is a bit too mild as I felt I had to bear down a bit. I liked the Feather better; all I need do in that case is glide with a light hand. The RazoRock is a closer shave, truly more efficient than the Merkur 37 and that is saying a lot.
On my slants, I find great pleasure in Dorco Primes, Teert Durasharps, Permasharps.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yet another great shave this time with a Dorco blade. I think the blade is a bit too mild as I felt I had to bear down a bit. I liked the Feather better; all I need do in that case is glide with a light hand.
I also noticed that. I quite like the Dorco Prime in most razors, but for the Superslant and Wunderbar one really should go for exceptionally sharp blades like Feather. Nacet would also be a good pick, but you might have read the product description of the Wunderbar and SuperSlant: blades with a lot of glue left in the head for a while, for instance when I shave for a week with another of my many razors, tend to GLUE the head together and one has to get creative and likely use something like zippo fuel to unglue the head.

So ideally just continue with Feathers and if you run out of them, BIC Platinum work out nicely as well. I no longer take Nacets because I am just too lazy to deal with the bit too much glue they put on the blades.

This said, the Dorcos definitely don't have any glue. Maybe try the Dorco Titan, but for some reason that one really never worked for me, I like the Prime better so far.

I will try some Chinese "Suneko Amorphous Diamond" soon (tm).

My first slant shave today. Pearl Semi Slant, Personna Platinum Israel blade. Closest to a BBS I have had. Felt similar to my Henson first gen mild razor and the soap was hard to rinse out during use like the Henson but overall very good.

I also noticed that. I quite like the Dorco Prime in most razors, but for the Superslant and Wunderbar one really should go for exceptionally sharp blades like Feather. Nacet would also be a good pick, but you might have read the product description of the Wunderbar and SuperSlant: blades with a lot of glue left in the head for a while, for instance when I shave for a week with another of my many razors, tend to GLUE the head together and one has to get creative and likely use something like zippo fuel to unglue the head.

So ideally just continue with Feathers and if you run out of them, BIC Platinum work out nicely as well. I no longer take Nacets because I am just too lazy to deal with the bit too much glue they put on the blades.

This said, the Dorcos definitely don't have any glue. Maybe try the Dorco Titan, but for some reason that one really never worked for me, I like the Prime better so far.

They work very well in the Wunderbar. Haven't tried one in the SS yet

Kai is another blade with no glue, I've had good luck with them.

Top Bottom