What's new

Short Story Reading Club/Group?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Would anyone be interested in a B&B short story reading club/group? I figured it would be less pressure and more manageable than a regular book club. I was thinking either weekly or monthly sessions, and possibly limit the readings to maybe 20 pages maximum. We could either take a vote on what to read, rotate between the members who sign up to pick the next selection, or myself and possibly a couple other members could just make the selections to make things easier. Depending on what everyone's thinking, we could also consider having themed weeks or months. At the end of each deadline, we would then give our thoughts on the story, and entertain any discussions that arise.

Since some of the threads in the Barbershop don't see as much action as the shaving areas on B&B, I'll keep this thread as a sounding board for the next few weeks until we officially start. Please post here if you have any interest in participating. Also, feel free to post any questions or suggestions.

That's why I figured short stories would be more achievable.
I would likely follow. I have gone from graduate student, earning my first masters at 51 and second at 53 (and anyone can earn a masters degree) to teaching college students part time while working a full time position as a network engineer. I know I need to refocus and spend some time getting involved in something that is not necessarily focused on work.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love compilations of short stories, mystery, horror, scifi.
Are you suggesting everyone read a specific story, then share thoughts on it?
I'd be interested dependent upon availability.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Are you suggesting everyone read a specific story, then share thoughts on it?

Exactly. I enjoy reading peoples thoughts when commenting on a book someone's reading in the What Are You Reading? thread. I know that a handful of members have also expressed in that thread how they wished that they read more. I figure this would be an opportunity for some members to have more motivation to read, as well as providing thought provoking (hopefully) discussions about literature.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I'd be interested. Provided the short stories only take a day or two to read, maybe a week at most. Moby Dick is really pushing my limits right now!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'd be interested. Provided the short stories only take a day or two to read, maybe a week at most. Moby Dick is really pushing my limits right now!

Depending on who's interested, and what everyone feels is appropriate, I imagine most of these will only take an hour or two at the most to read. Heck, quite a few short stories that I really like are only five, ten, fifteen pages long.

I hear you with Moby Dick. I tried reading it back in my late teens or early twenties. From what I remember, it starts getting boring after "Call me Ishmael." :lol:

I could be interested in this. I may not be able to read every story considered, but I could certainly hit some of them. As long as the timing is loose enough to not feel like I'm forcing myself into it. Typical book clubs always feel too rushed for me, but short story specific may be something that works well.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm glad to hear there's already some interest! I'm still debating on how I want to set this up, and a few other details.

What is everyone's preference in genre and length? Not to say that I will cater to everyone's tastes, but it would be nice to know what potential participants find stimulating. I've pulled a few books from a few of my shelves that might provide some good starting material for us. I probably have a couple more, but these were the ones that stood out to me at a quick glance. I've also saved a couple dozen stories on my computer in the past week or so. I was thinking about it, and with the exception of James Joyce, virtually all of the short story authors that I've read are American though. With that being said, recommendations of any specific author or stories are welcome.

20240908_220016.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm pretty open. I love scifi, horror, mystery, westerns and more.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe, Ray Bradbury to name a few.

Length not so sure I have a preference. As for genre I think anything pretty "classic" (of the sort that might show up in a high school or college literature course, which as I think about it could be anything really) would be good, although this time of year I tend to gravitate toward mystery or horror. Poe, Doyle, Bradbury (although I've read a lot of his stuff), Conrad would all be good. For some reason your photo made me think of Jack London, Graham Greene, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Cormac McCarthy.

So many good ones to choose from. For authors, I would add George Saunders, Shirley Jackson, William Trevor, John Updike, Andrea Barrett, Robert Aickman and Ursula LeGuin. For genres, I’d be game for most anything.

I'm fairly open to genres, though it'll be pretty tough to convince me to consider romance. I do sometimes enjoy "themed" reads, like horror/thriller during October or reading Black authors during Black History Month. I'd say the 2 biggest items impacting my participation will be availability of the story (ie, do I own it or can I get it from my library in time) and the length/time ratio. In other words, if we do a longer story, we should have more time to complete it.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Great suggestions so far, Gents! I was going to wait a couple weeks before we got going, but since a handful of you are already interested, we might start at the end of this week.

As for genre I think anything pretty "classic" (of the sort that might show up in a high school or college literature course, which as I think about it could be anything really) would be good

That's my thought as well. I can't think of any contemporary shorts stories that I've read. I believe Gish Jen's Who's Irish? is the newest that I've read, and that was published in 1999.

For some reason your photo made me think of Jack London, Graham Greene, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Cormac McCarthy.

Due to the nature of some of the books in the picture, or possibly because of the wood flooring, desk, and chair with no electronics in sight?

So many good ones to choose from. For authors, I would add George Saunders, Shirley Jackson, William Trevor, John Updike, Andrea Barrett, Robert Aickman and Ursula LeGuin. For genres, I’d be game for most anything.

I was actually revisiting some Shirley Jackson, John Updike, and Ursula LeGuin last night.

I'd say the 2 biggest items impacting my participation will be availability of the story (ie, do I own it or can I get it from my library in time) and the length/time ratio. In other words, if we do a longer story, we should have more time to complete it.

My plan is to not pick anything that might be too inaccessible. I have a couple dozen PDFs saved of stories that I don't own paper copies of. Many classics can be found on university websites. I'll check into the legality of sharing the PDFs in case some of the stories cannot be easily found from a quick search on the web.

We'll probably stick with shorter short stories, at least to begin with. I should have most of everything figured out in the next few days, but I'm thinking one story every week. If folks aren't keeping up, then we can switch to a story every other week, or even one per month. I certainly don't want this to feel overwhelming. Also, I was thinking of making individual threads for each story. After a certain amount of time, I can merge them into a master thread. That way members who might be late to the game can still add their thoughts, even after we've started in on the next reading.

Top Bottom