What's new

SABREtember2024. An opportunity and challenge to use your Shavette/Barber Razor.

Growth: 2 day beard
Prep: Warm shower: Stirling Sheep bar soap
Pre: PAA Cube 2.0

Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm G5 knot with Maggard Razors midnight blue 25mm handle
Lather: Razorock XXX
Load/Lather Bowl: HC&C shave bowl (straight walled)

First two passes:
Razor: Focus Slim AL
Blade: 1/2 DE - Astra Superior Platinum (D2)

Third pass on neck and touch ups:
Razor: Schick 500 Injector Razor
Blade: Chinese Schick

Second shave with my Focus Slim AL

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20240914
SABREtember 2024
20240908_080804~2.jpg

Razor: Kai Kasho Captain Woody Folding Straight Razor
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (1 shave, 3 passes)
Brush: AP Shave Co Sith (AP Shave Co 26mm MiG Synthetic)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Dragon's Blood Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
20240908_081000~2.jpg

Pre-shave: Cremo
Post-shave Balm: Nivea

Same kit since Sunday. Fresh Kai Captain Protouch MG blade. Lovely shave. Absolutely pleased with this kit! :thumbup:

Superb 3-Pass DFS++! :cool:

Sunday 15th September

Oumo Chubby Manchurian - Cyril R. Salter (Tallow) - Generic Hair Shaper/Feather Cut Special #1 - Massimo Dutti AS

My first run out with this razor. The genuine Feather blades fitted perfectly. I have only used a stainless Marianna with this blade format and this razor was considerably lighter. An excellent result.

Sunday 9/15 Shave
S.A.B.R.E.tember Day 15
SEptember 2024

First attempt at a half DE shavette.
This seems to be cloned from a Focus.
Other than adjusting to the smaller blade length
it was one of my best results.
Finished with a clean up pass on the Hawk V2.
The Cajun Blade Soap is a complete BANGER !!!

Razor: Focus AL Clone
Blade: Gillette Perma Sharp (1X)
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V2 - Kai Clone Blade (2X)
Lather: The Cajun Blade La Vache
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Post Shave: Alcolado Glacial Splash

Post Shave: L T Piver Heliotrope Blanc Lotion

IMG_1305.jpeg

Today I decided to test Einstein's definition of insanity by shaving with a Pro Super in the SR. Since previous outings with this combo have been fairly disasterous, at the last minute I decided to swap out the Saponificio Bignoli for my numero uno Signature Capra. The SB is a very fine soap, but Capra is both incredibly protective and slipperier than a greased weasel - with that soap on deck there could be no excuses, it was going to be all about the blade and my technique.

The result is DFS++. The WTG pass was great. The blade made easy work of reducing things, even on the tougher areas. Perhaps I should have stopped there. The second pass produced one weeper, which was a slip that I cannot blame the blade for, but my skin does feel a bit sore after that ATG work too. I still think this a harsh blade, but I believe that is partly down to it being screaming sharp. It certainly delivers the least forgiving shavette experience I have had by some margin.

Still, this was a better result than I have had from previous attempts with this blade...perhaps with more practice, I can master it. I do like a challenge!

20240915_164850.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday 20240915
SABREtember 2024
20240915_104855~2.jpg

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (2 shaves, 6 passes)
Brush: AP Shave Co Red (AP Shave Co 30mm Cashmere Fan)
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso Red Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
20240915_105407~2.jpg

Superb 3-Pass DFS++! :cool:

Please visit My Journal for shave notes.

Monday 16th September

Oumo 26mm Manchurian Fan - Stirling Hot Apple Cider - Strong Leopard 77-A/Rhinoceros #1 - Lustray Coachman

First time using this razor even though I bought it a few years ago. A bit of heft to it. It actually reminded me of my shaves with a high end Gold Dollar Straight from a few years back. No delicacy here and perhaps a bit 'agricultural' but the result was really excellent.

No delicacy here and perhaps a bit 'agricultural' but the result was really excellent.

How is the blade clamping on it? I bought a Strong Leopard for SABREtember last year and the casting on the parts that held the blade was terrible. They were concave, so the blade was only gripped at the very heel and toe - the middle had space to flap around by a couple of mm. I used it once and decided that was enough!

I love the look of them and have always been tempted to order another, but I fear getting another lemon for drawer of unloved shavettes!

How is the blade clamping on it? I bought a Strong Leopard for SABREtember last year and the casting on the parts that held the blade was terrible. They were concave, so the blade was only gripped at the very heel and toe - the middle had space to flap around by a couple of mm. I used it once and decided that was enough!

I love the look of them and have always been tempted to order another, but I fear getting another lemon for drawer of unloved shavettes!
The blade clamping is fine on this is fine. I bought one of the Gutche razors during this event last year as they looked similar...but it looked flimsy when it arrived and I have yet to use it. I will have to look at it again more closely.

I had Strong Leopard. It had chatter/vibration of blade. The shave was unpleasant. I it had some time in drawer.

Interesting. I wonder if your had the same issue as mine. Chatter and vibration was definitely noticable for me too.

In the end I throw it in bin.

I think next time I digging around in that drawer I will fish it out and follow your example. I won't be using it again.

The Gutche is interesting and everyone seems to love it, but given my feelings about the plastic Type 77 razor and the blades, I feel like for once I should not let my impulsiveness get the better of me!

Monday 9/16 Shave
S.A.B.R.E.tember Day 16
SEptember 2024

Attempted to use a Hair Shaper blade but it was terrible.
Very rough feel - got through about half a pass.
I need to find a better blade.
Finished with the Hawk V2 and it was AWESOME.

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V2
Blade: Chinese KAI Clone Red (3X)
Lather: Abbate Y La Mantia Fufluns
Brush: Frank Shaving 20mm Boar
Post Shave: AYLM Ishtar Aftershave

IMG_1310.jpeg

SOTD 16-09-24:

Morning shave. Usual players returning to the Simpson Berkeley 46 pure badger brush, while adding a snapped in half Silver Star blade to the Focus R21 shavette for a bit of frou-frou. Loaded the Berkeley brush a bit longer this time, which guaranteed enough lather for three passes easily. Is it my favorite brush? One of three at least. As for the Silver Star, first WTG pass went really great, removing a four-day beard growth easily, and it didn't feel raw like the Crown stainless did out of the gate. But the second XTG/ATG pass did not score so well. For starters, I raised the blade inclination a bit too much on the initial sweeping pass on the left side of my face using the left hand. That introduced irritation. Chalk it off to user error rather than the blade itself. This was followed by a number of unexplained tiny weepers here and there all over my face that I could not explain. Possibly the blade as my technique was good elsewhere and I've been sticking with the tried and true otherwise? Atmospherique conditions? Too much fluoride in the mountain spring tap water? What I've recently been eating and drinking? Who knows. Looking forward to the next shave to see if things mellow there. If not, the blade's a poor contender next to the Crown and all the other Lord/Shark/Big Ben blades I've been using.

SOTD 16-09-24.jpg

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday September 16, 2024 (SLANTember 3rd/SABREtember 2nd)
Razor(s): RazoRock Superslant L3++OC w/ Timeless Ti Crown handle / Focus Slim Al
Blade(s): Dorco Prime (5)/half Dorco Prime (1) [would that be a "Dro Pie" if I take out half the letters?]
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

Had a choice today: blade up the L3OC and blaze through a moderately fast one-razor shave before heading into town to take Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund to get her monthly allergy shot, or have another cup of coffee and plan for a more relaxed (and better resourced) shave with two razors in the afternoon. Coffee won. It usually does. :)

Safely back at the farm it was time to consider how I wanted to play across some of our September shaving celebrations. This year I'm hitting three: SEptember, SLANTember and SABREtember. I've been on a bit of a tear about 1/2 DE shavettes lately; mostly trying to figure out if I want to keep calling myself a shavette guy or what. I have only one 1/2 DE razor that I'll use on myself and I've always liked it but just never spent a lot of time with it. I'm leaving the AC shavettes (Kasho Woody and Feather SR) for a bit later as I'm exploring cheap blades. Last day was mostly just the WTG pass, today I did both passes with the Slim and then rung in the Superslant for cleanups.

Nice relaxed shave playing with two razors and firming up some skills I haven't used for a bit; lovely.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20240916
SABREtember 2024
20240915_104855~2.jpg

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (3 shaves, 8 passes)
Brush: AP Shave Co Red (AP Shave Co 30mm Cashmere Fan)
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso Red Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
20240915_105407~2.jpg

Same kit as Sunday. Twelve shaves in a row with the Kai Kasho Captain Woody Folding Straight Razor! Outstanding performance and results! :001_wub:

Superb 2-Pass CCS! :cool:

Tuesday 9/17 Shave
S.A.B.R.E.tember Day 17
SEptember 2024

Quick Morning shave with the IBC Clone
Added some Gorilla Tape for better grip which helped
A very fine three pass BBS Shave

Razor: Gold IBC Clone Shavette
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG(3X)
Lather: Abbate Y La Mantia Blue Tobacco Hard Puck
Brush: YAQI Rainbow 26mm