What's new

Recommendations for a mild razor?

I have 2, Razor Rock SLOC and ASD2, and the love of my life(saying this with a pastry rolling pin to my head) has a Mamba .58. All razors are mild and efficient, but if I were to use a Mamba it would be .70.

I've been shaving with the Tatara Masamune for the past few weeks and once I found the angle and got used to it, I am amazed at how close it shaves while not causing any irritation. It isn't a razor to just put in rotation and use once a month -- I never liked it when I had been shaving with various other razors and then just tried the Masamune for one shave. But when I started using it every day, I was able to learn it pretty quickly and it's an amazing razor - even my toughest problem spots (under the nose and the jawline) I'm able to get BBS without any irritation. I can shave very quickly with it too.

And here it is... the Henson +++ in aluminum...
View attachment 1886325

I couldn't wait until tomorrow and I shaved today, usually I shave every two days. It was quite interesting... not what I would call smooth... but only two very small nicks on my chin and little to no irritation so I guess it's not all bad. I think using the stirling pre shave oil may have possibly altered the feel as well... it was my first time using their beard oil. Looking forward to continue shaving and experiencing it.

Congrats on the +++! I really love mine, one of my very top razors.

If it helps, here are some tips that work well for me, I hope they do for you too
  • Shave on the shallow-end - roll off the cap until the blade engages and use that angle. The +++ has a significant exposure so the blade is out there. Plus, because it is focused to a 30 degree angle it can get too steep if you rotate the handle too far down.
  • Keep a light touch - the aluminum can help with this, but sometimes it makes people want to push. Keep it very light.
  • Use a small depth of very slick soap - don't pile a deep layer on or the light razor can float a bit
Great shaves to you!

Top Bottom