What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
View attachment 1901319

Recently received the L3++ plate. Today decided to try it. Of course with the same (brand new) blade that I tried in the L3+.
I am shocked at how big the difference between the L+ and L3++ is. And I must say it is in the feeling of the shave. Difference in closeness is negligible. The L3+ is the kitten that plays with you and tries to get its teeth in your hand. The L3++ is a wild animal that screams "I want blood". That channel in the plate really does matter.

So I am scratching my head and thinking now, did I need to buy that plate even with a significant discount. Because I was expecting a closer shave which basically I didn't get.

Very good counterpoint, thanks for the input. Do you mind if I ask what you like shaving with normally, so I can get a sense of what works for you?

Not at all. Currently, RazoRock SSL3++SB, Lupo .95OC, Yaqi 1.50, Shield Predator Gem, and the King Cobra.

marty
I remember the King Cobra!

Which of these is your favorite? Which shaves you the closest on the daily?

THANKS!!

Very good counterpoint, thanks for the input. Do you mind if I ask what you like shaving with normally, so I can get a sense of what works for you?
With roughly 450 razors (including the spares, and do not count the big number of spare ZAMAK heads) there is no such thing as 'normally'. I always change the razors. Some might and will get neglected even for a couple of months or more, but there is no other way. A lot of razors work for me, both mild and aggrressive ones. There are of course those that do not work for me, usually because no BBS is possible with any blade (ahem, Lo Storto).

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
roughly 450 razors
proxy.php

I bow in humble submission

I remember the King Cobra!

Which of these is your favorite? Which shaves you the closest on the daily?

THANKS!!
RR L3++SB = favorite.

King Cobra = shaves the closest in 2 passes; a 3rd pass is overkill. Probably as close as I'll get to a straight razor shave. It's the most aggressive of my SE razors, but still not as aggressive on my face as the RR L3++OC.

Lupo 95 OC = Smooth and automatic; no thinking necessary but after 4-5 shaves, I get bored and need a change.

Yaqi 1.50 = mildest. With the gap, you would think it would be aggressive but it's not. Reminds me of shaving w/ the Lady Gillette since I need 3 passes.

Shield Gem Predator = finicky. It takes me a few shaves to get back to the proper angle and hold. Then I have to be careful when going ATG and buffing also.

marty

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
RR L3++SB = favorite.

King Cobra = shaves the closest in 2 passes; a 3rd pass is overkill. Probably as close as I'll get to a straight razor shave. It's the most aggressive of my SE razors, but still not as aggressive on my face as the RR L3++OC.

Lupo 95 OC = Smooth and automatic; no thinking necessary but after 4-5 shaves, I get bored and need a change.

Yaqi 1.50 = mildest. With the gap, you would think it would be aggressive but it's not. Reminds me of shaving w/ the Lady Gillette since I need 3 passes.

Shield Gem Predator = finicky. It takes me a few shaves to get back to the proper angle and hold. Then I have to be careful when going ATG and buffing also.

marty
this right here is exactly what I was looking for!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Some people have mentioned how tight the blade fits on the head. Is this with all blades or has someone used a blade that just drops in place?
So far, I have used a Wilkinson Sword blade and a Gillette 7O'clock Yellow. They were both a very tight fit.

Being one notch "down" from the OC version, I would suspect it falls somewhere between L3+ and the L3++OC. :) The OC is smoother than the Wunderbar. I'm going to guess it would be close to the fabled Merkur "Super Slant" but not many of us have had the opportunity to take one of those unicorns for a ride. (I have) Hmm. I'm thinking you'd need to look at vintage slants, as many modern slant makers don't seem willing to go for the gusto the way the vintage makers did. A Fasan Double Slant might come close. It's really a different animal, though.

Hey, @CzechCzar ! Through no fault of my own, I have both a Merkur SB Super Slant and an L3++ SB Superslant resting in my DE drawer. [Looking north towards BC and OH...]

Anyhoo, both those razors are quite efficient. RazoRock worked hard to tame the entire Superslant line, so for me the L3++ SB needs less caution and runs more smoothly than any and all Merkur slants I've tried in my 3+ decades with one or more Merkur slants in the house.

I would have to do a lot of testing to thoroughly separate the SB and OC versions of the L3++. Being an OC bigot saves me from all that work.

Some people have mentioned how tight the blade fits on the head. Is this with all blades or has someone used a blade that just drops in place?
So far, I have used a Wilkinson Sword blade and a Gillette 7O'clock Yellow. They were both a very tight fit.
Check this thread from post #18 and onwards. I like sharp blades in the Superslant, but I try not to move them around once loaded.

"just drops in place" No. Some need to be forced in place. Chuck's technique works well for me on most blades.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hey, @CzechCzar ! Through no fault of my own, I have both a Merkur SB Super Slant and an L3++ SB Superslant resting in my DE drawer. [Looking north towards BC and OH...]

Anyhoo, both those razors are quite efficient. RazoRock worked hard to tame the entire Superslant line, so for me the L3++ SB needs less caution and runs more smoothly than any and all Merkur slants I've tried in my 3+ decades with one or more Merkur slants in the house.

I would have to do a lot of testing to thoroughly separate the SB and OC versions of the L3++. Being an OC bigot saves me from all that work.
SUPER useful. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit.

I currently use and love a Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant. It is indeed aggressive, or at least efficient. I can't shave more than two days in a row with it, without my skin telling me I need a day off.

I have a pirate beard, so I need the most efficient razor I can possibly get. I like to shave every day as well.
@Tanuki
Are you able to use the L3++SB every day? How about the L3++OC?

Many thanks!!

SUPER useful. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a bit.

I still have a very early top aggressive head. My first had a defect, but I think Yaqi tuned that design since I got my replacement. Slantember is the only time it sees my face now. No way I would drive it daily.

I don't have quite as many razors as @ivan_101 :ouch1: but I seldom go many days with the same razor. Either of the L3++ plates should be easy and comfortable compared to my top aggressive or to my PBOCS, for another aggro razor example.

There is a good chance you would like L3++ as a daily. I really don't feel a big difference between SB and OC, so I advocate for the OC when flying Pirate Class.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I still have a very early top aggressive head. My first had a defect, but I think Yaqi tuned that design since I got my replacement. Slantember is the only time it sees my face now. No way I would drive it daily.

I don't have quite as many razors as @ivan_101 :ouch1: but I seldom go many days with the same razor. Either of the L3++ plates should be easy and comfortable compared to my top aggressive or to my PBOCS, for another aggro razor example.

There is a good chance you would like L3++ as a daily. I really don't feel a big difference between SB and OC, so I advocate for the OC when flying Pirate Class.
Could I ask you a favor? Would you be able to try using the L3++OC for 3 days in a row to tell me how your skin reacts?

If you are able to do so, it will tell me whether to go for the SB or OC.

If you can't no biggie of course!!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Saturday August 31, 2024
Razor: L3OC/Timeless Ti Crown handle
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Yardley Oatmeal & Almond

After jumping the queue on Tuesday to join the cool kids and have a birthday shave, I decided that two scorched-earth shaves in a row needed a little time to settle out. Figured it would be Friday before any hair got brave enough to stick its head up. And so it was, but life was all sixes and sevens and the easiest thing to defer was the shave, so here we are on Saturday. (shrug)

But I'm holding the Whisker Assassin, and it was a lovely shave. That in spite of the blade being not the sharpest. Once I've used the last of the Dorco Primes I'll probably not order any more. Good on the first shave, not bad on the third, done after the fifth.

Other ephemera: Recorded in the journal with a Pacific Arc H-1305 clutch pencil loaded with Staedtler Mars Carbon lead, 2mm size, HB grade. Very nearly the perfect pencil.

O.H.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Once I've used the last of the Dorco Primes I'll probably not order any more. Good on the first shave, not bad on the third, done after the fifth.
Haven't counted but didn't use the Dorco Primes more than 2-3 shaves, where I usually retire them because I can't remember the count when I last shaved with them and used other razors in between...^^

I like the BIC Platinum a lot, I would perhaps like the Nacet even better if not for the regular glue issues and they do not play nicely with my Wunderbar and Superslant. One Nacet really glued my Wunderbar together after leaving it in for say 7-10 days before returning to shaving with it.

Top Bottom