What's new

My Top Drawer

It was simply too heavy as some what of a Light Handle Fanboy. I picked it up when it was halfoff in their scratch and dent sale for $75 when they were at the time priced at $150 which I found more than fair. Their current prices I could walk past with out a tinge of regret.
Interesting! I like a weighty razor over a light one.

I did get a decent discount. Figured it would sell pretty easily if it's not for me.

I have an ASD2 and R41 GS - love them for different purposes, obviously.

Was thinking the Ambassador could unite the tribes and be the one true razor.

OK so, what’s up, well, I have a Rex Ambassador incoming.

Why do you have a Rex Ambassador incoming Coler, they asked.

I’ll tell you why.

It was my ineluctable destiny.

Foretold by the prophets, set in stone by the oaths of my forefathers, and whispered on the wind by the soothsayers.

Against the alignment of the atoms of the universe, laid out in predetermined patters by the first explosions of matter, before which there was…nothing, how was I to resist?

That’s why.

There really was nothing I could do to stop it and it wouldn’t have been wise to try.
I had an Envoy and loved it, but sold it when I switched to Straights because I thought I'd be shaving with Straights forever. A little thing called honing and my inability to master it quickly had me park the straights for now. I need to dedicate some time to honing and figuring it out.

I had an Envoy and loved it, but sold it when I switched to Straights because I thought I'd be shaving with Straights forever. A little thing called honing and my inability to master it quickly had me park the straights for now. I need to dedicate some time to honing and figuring it out.

Exact same for me with straights a few years back.

Well, I didn't sell your Envoy but the honing thing.

I used my Envoy this morning. It did pair well with a fresh Perma-Sharp.
Perma-Sharps I will miss when they are gone. I have 200 still from when the price was $9 for a 100. I can get easily double digits on one of those blades. The Envoy I like the idea of more than the shave. This is the second time I have owned one. I have shaved with it twice since my second acquisition. First time was grand the second I threw it at too much stubble and paid for it. At the very least I can put the head on one of my 19 gram handles, though I like how grippy the OG is.

I did get a decent discount. Figured it would sell pretty easily if it's not for me.

There is a group in the clubs and brotherhoods section devoted to Light Handle Fanboys. I own two. my @Rosseforp RIP GTx Handles, as well as the Alpha Shave Works Super Leggero custom handles. The former Doug generally set at 15 to 25 grams, and the later has a wider range. I aked for both of mine to be set at around 19 g. It works a treat on my Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB which are not usually thought of as light weight razors.

I have never tried an R41 of any flavor. It sends shivers down my spine. The ASD2 was one of my first spendier razors, only following the Timeless Bronze in both SB and OC. I moved the ASD2 on and am stuck with the Timeless as I haven't kept up with it's upkeep. Read scratched up from sitting on the counter and tarnish. Sometimes I wonder if I moved the ASD2 on too quick, but, not enough to bring it back into the den.

I have never tried an R41 of any flavor. It sends shivers down my spine. The ASD2 was one of my first spendier razors, only following the Timeless Bronze in both SB and OC. I moved the ASD2 on and am stuck with the Timeless as I haven't kept up with it's upkeep. Read scratched up from sitting on the counter and tarnish. Sometimes I wonder if I moved the ASD2 on too quick, but, not enough to bring it back into the den.
I find the ASD2 loaded with Feathers a lovely combination. I shave pretty much on autopilot with it, in a good way.

The stainless steel R41 loaded with a feathers definitely commands respect. You feel that blade, and you think about it while you shave.

I had an alloy 2011 R41. That was actually unpleasant to shave with for me. Just too severe to enjoy. Mine actually broke - the screw part came off as I tightened it.

I like the R41 GS though. Very, very satisfying shave, once your head is still attached afterwards.

there is nothing like it for mowing down a few days growth or more. I can shave daily with it and enjoy it though.

I find the ASD2 loaded with Feathers a lovely combination. I shave pretty much on autopilot with it, in a good way.

The stainless steel R41 loaded with a feathers definitely commands respect. You feel that blade, and you think about it while you shave.

I had an alloy 2011 R41. That was actually unpleasant to shave with for me. Just too severe to enjoy. Mine actually broke - the screw part came off as I tightened it.

I like the R41 GS though. Very, very satisfying shave, once your head is still attached afterwards.

there is nothing like it for mowing down a few days growth or more. I can shave daily with it and enjoy it though.
The Feathers were the first blade I tried in the ASD2. I kind of figured they were made for each other. It was still a no go unfortunately. As far as knocking out a few days, I can take a weeks worth of growth with my 1.25 WR2 no problem. They are expensive and have a waiting list to get new, but, they turn up at the BST for reasonable prices. My first two were about $250 for the head before the prices went up. Even still the prices of the new ones aren't bad when you factor in Canadian exchange rates. At any rate enjoy your Rex, they are nice razors.

Waking up grumpy this morning.

Was hoping to have thrown off some kind of virus that hit me last weekend.

Running a low grade fever, coughing, short of breath - pretty obvious what it is I guess.

Had it once before - that I know of - about 4 years ago. It was more unpleasant but over quicker then.

Anyway it hasn't shifted and I have a ton of stuff to do so lets get to it.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

Running a low grade fever, coughing, short of breath - pretty obvious what it is I guess.

Had it once before - that I know of - about 4 years ago. It was more unpleasant but over quicker then.

Get well soon, friend. Last time I got sick it took me over a month to shake it off. My energy levels still haven't fully returned.

I have yet to catch the plague. I am in isolation in my apartment except for the odd appointment every couple of weeks so the chances of catching it are lower. My brother had it and it messed him up good as it was followed by neumonia that he suffered from for the better part of a year. At that point he worked from home so it is surprising for me that he caught it in the first place. At any rate like Erik said get well soon.

Thanks fellas.

Well I got my garden shed cleared and swept and a chicken on the rotisserie and even managed a shower and a shave.

This NO Monoi de Tahiti is nice. Excellent shave, no issues with it at all.

I did expect more from the fragrance in terms of coming through when lathered but it was not quite there. Now maybe my ill health is affecting that, in fairness. It's very nice though, you get the Coconut & Vanilla all through it, but the ginger, lime, sandalwood & florals are all there.

A classic USA tallow, artisan style soap. It stands up to the MdC/SV benchmarks quite well enough to stay in my drawer.

100% would shave with it again. It's certainly got a nice Summer vacation vibe going.

1000041533.jpg

There’s been an up kick of cases down here lately. I’m not hearing that it is worse than before. This is likely something that’s going to come and go for a while. Sorta like the common cold. It doesn’t to seem to follow seasonal patterns like the flu dose.

There’s been an up kick of cases down here lately. I’m not hearing that it is worse than before. This is likely something that’s going to come and go for a while. Sorta like the common cold. It doesn’t to seem to follow seasonal patterns like the flu dose.
As it always was, so it will be, but we have a name for it now I guess.

Thankfully I got through the day, and am feeling a lot better now. Thanks for your kind wishes guys.

Here is a curve ball for the weekend. I am a keen guitarist - acoustic, folky sort of stuff but a bit of everything. Some fingerstyle (I love Pete Huttlinger, may he rest in peace). Do any of you play?

Here is my soundcloud account. I’ve written some originals, strictly amateur and I’m not jonesing for a second career. Just my other hobby:

https://soundcloud.com/eoghan-cole
An example of one I wrote (draws on some Irish history but not too inaccessible)

These are all recorded at my kitchen table and mixed in GarageBand for iPad.

Enjoy! Positive feedback only thanks in advance :D

Well I got my day going with a 7am Workout. Really nice morning here in Dublin, lovely workout in my garden. Still short of breath but hopefully getting through it.

I'm going to get cleaned up and enjoy a cup of coffee sitting out in the garden while the kids go hunger-games against each other on the trampoline

About 20 years ago I bought my wife a fairly high end Gaggia for Christmas - hey she wanted it!

Best present I ever bought her - she makes *the best* cup of coffee now. It's such a treat to sit drinking it with her.

Have a lovely Sunday all.

Funny shave today. Post workout, but I cooled down properly.

Above the jawline, BBS, cool & comfortable, faultless really. One minor weeper.

But the neck. Wow. I really did not get those wiry multi-grain patches on the lower neck very close. No irritation or anything though.

I didn't feel any issues during the shave. Far from it, the T&H 1805 lathered superbly and felt great. And the smells, wow, I love this one. Fresh, bergamot & cardamon with a classic lavender & geranium base. Also sage and sandalwood. Very nicely blended, complex but clean. T&H say it is an oceanic fragrance and I like that description.

And it develops with the lather, getting more pronounced as you work it and lather up. So many artisany type stuff is the opposite - good strong scent off the puck, but doesn't survive the lathering very well.

Post shave feel is lovely, nicely soft & plump, not dry at all. I used Proraso red splash and wood & spice balm. Sandalwood theme tied them all together nicely.

1000041608.jpg

I'm going to put this one into the maybe pile, along with GFT Rose. See if I can work out what nixed the finish on my neck. I'll try it again before deciding what to do with it.

That scent warrants persistence.

Last edited:
Ok back to a benchmark product this morning. Martin de Candre rose.

Faultless shave. I did find the scent a little weak in the lather, which would be my only negative comment. The soap lathers perfectly to your preffered consistency, but takes a little getting trial and error to dial in. A soaked & squeezed damp brush, load heavy, add more water than you think reasonable.

This shave reassured me that my assessments of the other products relative to MdC/SV are consistent and accurate for my purpose.

Finished with Proraso Green splash and a Cella organic balm that is growing on me. I also used MdC lavender EdT which is very nice.

1000041678.jpg

Happy Monday all.

Note to self. This is the stuff that I still have to evaluate vs the SV/MdC Gold Standards:

T&H West African Limes, DR Harris Twenty-Nine, Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, Proraso Red, Green & Blue, a couple of Noble Otters, Mondiale 1805 Almond.

Again, the test is not whether they are necessarily every bit as good as the benchmarks, it’s whether they are ‘good enough’ that I would want to choose them over a SV/MdC shave reasonable regularly.

So far, Aqua di Parma Cream/Croap, Noble Otter Orbit and Noble Otter Monoi di Tahiti have sailed through and retain their place in my top drawer rotation.

GFT Rose and T&H 1805 failed to qualify on their round but either with extenuating circumstances or it was close enough to warrant another look (and in each case I really do love the scent…). They go into a repechage, if you will, ie I will try them out again this week or next week before finalising a decision on them.

TOBS Grapefruit has been removed for now.

Changed it up for today, loading a fresh Feather into my minty R41 GS.

I owned a 2011 R41 about 12 years ago. It was a beast, or so it felt, and although I persisted, putting about 50 shaves in with it, when it broke I didn't replace it as I was not getting comfortable shaves, in fact the opposite.

When trying a new razor, my target is first get a comfortable shave, consistently, then go for a closer shave. Repeat.

I think my technique has improved as this time around it was comfortable out the gate, but man you do feel that blade and you need to concentrate as it goes on right up until it comes off. Steady, precise movement using the lightest of touch. Lock your wrist.

Anyway, a nice 2 pass shave, very encouraging. I will try it again tomorrow I think.

Focus today was on the razor not the lather but the DR Harris cream performed very well. A lovely clean floral scent (rose & geranium, some clove/cinnamon) that is very present in the lather. Nice neutral post shave finish.

To the extent that this one counts in my lather grading process, DR Harris stood up to the R41/Feather combo so well it keeps it's place.

Tomorrow I will do the same shave with a Saponificio Varesino soap, and that should tell me a lot more about the DR Harris and perhaps the razor.

1000041717.jpg

Top Bottom