What's new

July 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

You all know I'm a believer in "credit where credit is due", so here's some credit of dubious provenance: The additional "out" statements that I missed. :D

Gentlemen,

well for this month's GRUME I decided.... but...
View attachment 1874913

I discovered the Maseto shop and just like Yaqi they do offer a selection of "defective" brushes for a very low price. Different knot sizes are on offer and the brushes include boar, synthetics and horse hair brushes. Prices range from about USD 2 for a 19-21mm synthetic up to USD 10 for a 30 mm synthetic brush. There is no opportunity to choose which brush one may get aside from choosing knot size range and bristle material. I chose a 25-27 mm synthetic.

I have no idea what I'll get, but I paid USD 4 for it. I might end up with a 25mm brush with an ugly handle or be lucky and get a 27mm with a black handle. It's kind of a mystery box. I'm not 100% certain, but I think this offer is only available on Maseto's Taobao shop in China.

For good measure I also added two brush travel containers (looks like tall pharmacy tubes) and a tuck of 7 o'clock Super Stainless - but the Golden shave version, which I haven't seen before aside from the Nacet Golden Shaves. That tuck of blades cost almost as much as the Maseto brush.

This means that I'm regretfully OUT of this month's GRUME.

Out!

A minty R41 GS.

I've made my peace with this decision

I am out
😂
😂

Razor- Maggard V3 W/MR11 Handle
Blade- Gillette Minora Platinum (1)
Brush- PAA Solar Flare 24mm Synthetic
Lather- PAA The Beach
Post- Thayers Unscented With Aloe
Lustray Blue Spice AS
View attachment 1878809

Gentlemen I’m out, somebody found this shiny beauty for me

View attachment 1879378

Well, that's a lot of activity! I think I got it all, but let me know if I missed a sign-up or a drop-out. And, hey - next July, let's just skip the 8th and go straight to the 9th, right? All in favor, say "aye"!

So when there are mass casualties, with some brothers still standing to pick up the pieces and carry on, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) Multum in parvo - out (7/17: ShinyTech)
3) @Roedeer - 366er
4) @Doti B
5) @hopper_64 - GRUYERE, Shark Week
6) Coler - out (7/13: R41 GS)
7) m949 - out (7/8: A defective brush...and stuff)

8) @iver
9) @SmoothOperator
10) @JAHE
11) @ric164
12) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
13) bgall3265 - out (7/16: Things)
14) Balin - out (7/8: A brush...a Chubby One)

15) @BobbyB
16) @Texchappy
17) @dave1269
18) Pyrate - out (7/8: Lupo 72)
19) @La Malice - SOTMC, GRUYERE, Sharky Sharky week too
20) @silverlifter
21) @cajunrph
22) @ChriWilson - GRUYERE, SOTMC, Shark Week
23) @Guido75
24) @tjsgarden
25) @lasta
26) @FL shaver
27) @squank
28) Markdad2 - out (7/8: GuerillaWolfMan)
29) @LJBraaten - Gruyere
26) @Jayson74

Side Note: @cajunrph and @Guido75, I really appreciate the kind words. I didn't mean to disappear for a month, but it feels like life is speeding up and sometimes I get left behind...
No problem, I was wondering where you were, very good to hear it was life keeping you busy and nothing more serious. We appreciate all you do with the GRUMEs. It has kept me from burning a hole in my savings and learning how to live with what I have. Take care, my friend.

No problem, I was wondering where you were, very good to hear it was life keeping you busy and nothing more serious. We appreciate all you do with the GRUMEs. It has kept me from burning a hole in my savings and learning how to live with what I have. Take care, my friend.
COVID, then Rebound COVID, then work in Chicago for a week, then a three-week vacation to Scotland and Ireland, then catching up on work, then a three-day weekend in Dunsmuir, CA, then...now. <whew>

I wouldn't mind a little bit more "routine" in my days. For a while, anyway. :)

IMG_1024.JPEG
Nancy_on_Knoydart.jpg
IMG_1005.JPEG

A Scotland Sampler:
1. Forest around Inverie on the Knoydart peninsula
2. SWMBO on a Corbett overlooking Inverie, with my 80-year-old FIL leading the descent
3. Glen Nevis/Water on Nevis trail near Fort William

Last edited:
Lovely pictures. I hope you had a great holiday particularly in Ireland as I am Irish and live there.
Oh, great! My wife hadn't been, and it had been 25 years for me. After 11 days in Scotland, we spent just 3 days in Galway (with a trip to Connemara National Forest) and three days in Dublin. Cities aren't our favorite, but we still had a nice trip. When we go back, I hope that we spend much more time in villages than cities.

COVID, then Rebound COVID, then work in Chicago for a week, then a three-week vacation to Scotland and Ireland, then catching up on work, then a three-day weekend in Dunsmuir, CA, then...now. <whew>

I wouldn't mind a little bit more "routine" in my days. For a while, anyway. :)

View attachment 1881899
View attachment 1881901
View attachment 1881900

A Scotland Sampler:
1. Forest around Inverie on the Knoydart peninsula
2. SWMBO on a Munro overlooking Inverie, with my 80-year-old FIL leading the descent
3. Glen Nevis/Water on Nevis trail near Fort William
Ohh man, I'd love to go see that area, I was watching a video on YouTube about a fella who was traveling around Ireland. Great pics, looks like it was refreshing for the soul.

Oh, great! My wife hadn't been, and it had been 25 years for me. After 11 days in Scotland, we spent just 3 days in Galway (with a trip to Connemara National Forest) and three days in Dublin. Cities aren't our favorite, but we still had a nice trip. When we go back, I hope that we spend much more time in villages than cities.
Sounds great.

Next time, try Donegal. When I holiday in Ireland with my family that’s where we go. Wild countryside, some great beaches on the Atlantic coast. Hiking, Fishing, Surfing. Fantastic traditional music in the pubs. It’s like nowhere else on earth.

Day 22, 71% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Back to the .84 Game Changer today, and I loaded a fresh Astra. This is still my favourite baseplate. It works very well with Astras, and I have plenty of those.

A comfortable near-BBS.

Top Bottom