What's new

First boar help

Omega jade is my personal favorite boar. SOC is a great brush, but doesn't splay as easily as i prefer. I much prefer the lesser backbone of the jade. And it's the only omega handle that isn't serviceable garbage. Ymmv etc

I want to clarify, I actually consider the SoC to be a higher quality brush than the Jade. The highest quality boar i own, in fact. The knot tie, the bristle selection/quality, bristle uniformity and height uniformity are all superior on the SoC. You can tell that they manually picked the best bristles for the SoC, whereas the jade just has random pig hair. The SoC is the superior brush. It's also far more dense.
The only reason I prefer the jade is because it's a bit floppy and I like my boars a bit floppy. In other words, the jade just happens to land exactly on the part of the splay/backbone spectrum that I like. Ymmv etc

If you like medium+ backbone then I recommend the SoC over the jade without hesitation.

Looking to add my first boar to the rotation - GAD in full swing 😅.

Hear lots of good things about Semogue, and was going to pull the trigger on a 1250 (I've read enough to leave the painted handles well alone), when I've seen an insane deal on an Omega 10048 (bigger but i can dig it), and an Omega 11126 which is a much more similar knot.

Is there much difference between the Omega and Semogue knots in terms of performance, or is it all just brand name and handle aesthetics?
Not an expert but used both, Omegas and Semogue extensively.

In my opinion, Omega boar brushes have much better knots but lousy handles. Semogue boar brushes, except 1305, have lousy knots but excellent handles.

There.

If you I would get squeezed now to get only one boar brush, it would be either an Omega 10049, an 10098, or a Semogue 1305. The SOC would be last on my list. I am battling my second SOC and after more than 40 wet/dry cycles is still not fully broken in. And its splay is obscene.

I hope this helps. If not, well... you know already. Get both... one Omega and one Semogue.

I like my SOC and it’s really the only Semogue I’ve kept. I prefer Omegas to Semogues generally.

I picked up a Zenith 2000 because 24mm is as big as I like and wanted to try out an unbleached. It broke in quickly and supplanted my SOC. Its as best I can describe it, a “better SOC”. It’s my go to boar. And I picked it up for $8.

The only Semogue boar I have is a Torga C5. It feels as luxurious as (or maybe more than) a badger brush. However the knot is almost too dense. I find it difficult to load enough lather into it to get through a shave unless I use a bowl to really work it over.

Omega Pro Pro or Jade/Ivory are excellent brushes.

The only Semogue boar I have is a Torga C5. It feels as luxurious as (or maybe more than) a badger brush. However the knot is almost too dense. I find it difficult to load enough lather into it to get through a shave unless I use a bowl to really work it over.

Omega Pro Pro or Jade/Ivory are excellent brushes.

Agreed on the Torga. I think it’s too short for the density of the knot. The SOC has a little extra bit of loft (~6mm), which makes all the difference in handling lather.

interesting discussion. I don't have the SOC but I have the new Pegasus (only 2 shaves in). It is far from being broken in, but it is more than ok to use. I understand it is the bigger version of the SOC knot (sort of). It splays well, it has a nice backbone, it is soft, but also has scrub. The only issue is that it eats lather, but I attribute that to not being broken in.
From Omega I have the 10066 and the Proraso Pro. The 66 is good for the price, the Proraso is superb at any price (the knot, the handle is what it is). However, the 66 is fully broken in, but it is still a little prickly. The Proraso was never prickly. Mine does not have a ton of backbone, but that is not an issue, it is just the perfect combination of everything. I love it.
I also have a Zenith bleached. It is the softest knot of them all. Even out of the box it was soft, 0 scritch, almost like a synth. But it has tons of backbone to go with it. More than my Proraso. The knot is quite short lofted so it does not hold a lot of lather which can be annoying.
I'd start with an Omega and go from there, depending on the how you feel.

Oh and to me the 26-27mm boars feel just right, they don't feel huge on the face, like some badgers.

P.s.: I also have the TGF Wild Hog(also made by Omega), which by dimensions is the same as the Proraso Pro. The similarities end there, it is a scritchy knot, that does not want to break in.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I’ll chime in, but, you have a ton of good feedback already.

I use exclusively boars for the stiffness and scrubbiness. I’m a face latherer, so, it’s a perfect combination for me. I see mentions in other threads about brush burn; I have never experienced it and I have rather sensitive skin (I much prefer mild razors).

Semogue SOC is a fabulous brush. Handles, resin or wood, are beautiful. Knots are dense and robust. These are the smallest brushes I use with a 24 mm knot.

Zenith 507 is my brush of choice. The resin handles are vintage style, solid with some good weight, and available in many colors/patterns. The olive wood is a bit light for the 27x57 knot, IMO. They also sell unbleached knots which are a pure joy to break in. You can get them at YourShaving or GentleShave.

Zenith 505 is a bit larger at 28 mm and the handle is stubbier, but it is still a nice, dense, scrubby brush. The 506 series, which I have not tried, are similar in size to the 507 with a shorter handle.

Connaught Omega Premiums (Jade or Ivory) are quite nice, robust resin handles, scrubby knots. They are 27x52 knots, so, expect some real scritch from them.

I’m not a big fan of the Semogue Pegasus boar. At 26x56, it seems a bit soft and floppy to me. I need to use it a few more times to decide if I like it or not.

Mondial makes a nice brush as well. The only one I have is a 26x60 knot in a massive aluminum handle. Clearly it is top quality, but, the knot proportions are not to my liking. It sits unused in its box, sadly.

Finally, anything with a Semogue C5 knot will be good. It is a 24x50 knot, similar to the knot used in SOC brushes but a bit shorter in loft. The Semogue Torga would be an excellent choice. It is certainly worth noting that Rudy Vey will make a beautiful custom brush for you with this knot and AP Shave uses them in their boar brushes.

With the exception of custom brushes and intricately patterned handles, the best boars can be had for $45 or less. Given that low-end badgers go for higher prices, you can’t go wrong. You can get 3-4 excellent boars for the price of one Simpson Best badger.

Cheers!

I’m not a big fan of the Semogue Pegasus boar. At 26x56, it seems a bit soft and floppy to me. I need to use it a few more times to decide if I like it or not.
I'm reading that many of you call some boar knots floppy. This is odd to me. I like some truly floppy synths, like the OG RR Plissoft, and no boar comes even close. In fact I wouldn't call any of my boars floppy. They have at least decent backbone. My Pegasus is not at all floppy according to my standards. Can it be too much soaking? I soak my boars for 1-2 minutes, with the knot 1/2 to 2/3 way down into the water.
:confused1

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I'm reading that many of you call some boar knots floppy. This is odd to me. I like some truly floppy synths, like the OG RR Plissoft, and no boar comes even close. In fact I wouldn't call any of my boars floppy. They have at least decent backbone. My Pegasus is not at all floppy according to my standards. Can it be too much soaking? I soak my boars for 1-2 minutes, with the knot 1/2 to 2/3 way down into the water.
:confused1
I know, it’s odd with this one. It gets put in my brush scuttle with warm water to soak for maybe 5 minutes while I load my razor, gather my supplies, etc.

It is quite… well, floppy… as soon as I start to load my soap. It splays wildly when I go to my face. I’m thinking it is a brush designed for bowl lathering. I can see it as a great “painting” brush, but, that isn’t how I lather. I don’t even own a lathering bowl.

The floppiness isn’t something I experience with any other boars. It reminds me of the Semogue 2000 (I think) with the small diameter/high loft knot that I had a year or so ago. I’ve only used the Pegasus twice, so, I think it will only get worse for me. It, in fact, feels like a Zenith that has nearly worn out, except the tips haven’t even begun to split.

It is a gorgeous brush, though. The Faux Horn with the gold ring is stunning. Maybe I just got a bad one. I’ll probably end up designating it for a travel brush to be used with Arko sticks.

I know, it’s odd with this one. It gets put in my brush scuttle with warm water to soak for maybe 5 minutes while I load my razor, gather my supplies, etc.

It is quite… well, floppy… as soon as I start to load my soap. It splays wildly when I go to my face. I’m thinking it is a brush designed for bowl lathering. I can see it as a great “painting” brush, but, that isn’t how I lather. I don’t even own a lathering bowl.

The floppiness isn’t something I experience with any other boars. It reminds me of the Semogue 2000 (I think) with the small diameter/high loft knot that I had a year or so ago. I’ve only used the Pegasus twice, so, I think it will only get worse for me. It, in fact, feels like a Zenith that has nearly worn out, except the tips haven’t even begun to split.

It is a gorgeous brush, though. The Faux Horn with the gold ring is stunning. Maybe I just got a bad one. I’ll probably end up designating it for a travel brush to be used with Arko sticks.
I would guess that it is the soaking. Would you try it with 1 max 2 minutes?
I definitely need to apply pressure to splay it on my face and keep it splayed while swirling. There can some variation between knots, but not this much imo. 🤔

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I would guess that it is the soaking. Would you try it with 1 max 2 minutes?
I definitely need to apply pressure to splay it on my face and keep it splayed while swirling. There can some variation between knots, but not this much imo. 🤔
I do the same with the Pegasus as all my other brushes. For purposes of curiosity, I may give it a shot. The idea of setting a timer to soak one brush doesn’t get me too excited, though. If I use it with a stick, which I apply directly to my face, I would just wet it under the faucet and not soak at all. Worth a shot since I spent $60 on the brush.

I do the same with the Pegasus as all my other brushes. For purposes of curiosity, I may give it a shot. The idea of setting a timer to soak one brush doesn’t get me too excited, though. If I use it with a stick, which I apply directly to my face, I would just wet it under the faucet and not soak at all. Worth a shot since I spent $60 on the brush.
I don't set a timer 🤣 this is how long it takes (I guess) to get to loading the soap after shower. Apply some deo, get a soap, add water to the spray bottle, apply some to the puck, wet the face, go.

Buy them all.

I am not even joking!

Omega and Semogue knots have quite different characters, and the same can also be said about different knots from the same brand...plus there is some natural variation even between different brushes of the same model due to using natural fibres.

I usually soak my brushes in hot water for only a little time right before I lather up, maybe ~1 minute or so. I haven't had any problems with my Pegasus being too floppy. Rather, it's got a stiffer, denser feel compared to my SOC.

It's a bit odd that you're encountering this problem with the Pegasus but not the SOC. They're essentially the same knot, except that the Pegasus is a bit thicker. So, if anything, I'd think the SOC would be floppier than the Pegasus. Maybe that indicates that it's something about your particular Pegasus?

Sounds like you've got a lot of great boars to keep you happy, in any case.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I usually soak my brushes in hot water for only a little time right before I lather up, maybe ~1 minute or so. I haven't had any problems with my Pegasus being too floppy. Rather, it's got a stiffer, denser feel compared to my SOC.

It's a bit odd that you're encountering this problem with the Pegasus but not the SOC. They're essentially the same knot, except that the Pegasus is a bit thicker. So, if anything, I'd think the SOC would be floppier than the Pegasus. Maybe that indicates that it's something about your particular Pegasus?

Sounds like you've got a lot of great boars to keep you happy, in any case.
My boars will outlive me.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Buy them all.

I am not even joking!
I am a big fan of boars and use a variety from several different makers. For the value they offer you really can’t go wrong trying out a few brushes. There are plenty of good suggestions mentioned already. Figuring out your preferences and experiencing the unique qualities of different makers knots is the fun part. Good luck with your search!

If you scroll through the last few pages of ”Brotherhood of the boar” it makes for a great shopping list.

Last edited:
If you scroll through the last few pages of ”Brotherhood of the boar” it makes for a great shopping list.

I really ought to post there more often. I always think if I am not doing a SABRE shave I don't need to do a SOTD, but I have a rotation of Omega boars that I use almost exclusively (plus some Zeniths and Semogue that see less frequent outings).

My takeaway is that we associate floppiness with the brush's loft.
I don't experience floppiness with any of my lengthier brushes; but I also pinch with my pointer and thumb about 1/2" above the knot, as demoed in the ACB video I posted yesterday.

For example, the Omega Pro48 was used.
I soak almost the entire 65mm brush for a few minutes in cold water before loading and fanning the bristles for a face lather.

Irrespective if it's the Zenith B34, Omega Jade, Proraso, SOC, Torga C5, or Zenith Stirling's 31x50
Using this method, I get superb results every time.

You want to talk floppy - I have a Plisson Badger, size 14 that takes the cake :001_cool:

...The SOC is a marvelous brush, as is the Connaught Jade - but here is how I suggest to settle "backbone"

Last edited:
Top Bottom