What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

I have very fond memories of my 33rd grade teacher reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the class. I just started reading it to my 8 year old grandson and he's getting into it.

I actually didn't read this until a few years ago but I would have LOVED it as a kid!!

proxy.php

I read all the classic science fiction stories from the big names in the genre, then discovered the Tom Swift Jr. books, and got through maybe half of the 33-book series before burn-out and moving on to non-fiction histories and biographies.

I became a fan of James Thurber as a result of a HS Sophomore English class in the early 1960s, buying the My Life and Hard Times paperback new for $.50 back then. I still have that book, and although it's been read countless times over the years, and the pages are yellowed, the binding is still tight. In 1969, there was a one-season TV show based on Thurber's writings and drawings, called My World and Welcome To It, starring William Windom as a Walter Mitty-type character. I loved it, but my wife thought it was stupid. Over the years I've collected a dozen Thurber books of stories and cartoons, most of them long out of print.

I became a fan of James Thurber as a result of a HS Sophomore English class in the early 1960s, buying the My Life and Hard Times paperback new for $.50 back then. I still have that book, and although it's been read countless times over the years, and the pages are yellowed, the binding is still tight. In 1969, there was a one-season TV show based on Thurber's writings and drawings, called My World and Welcome To It, starring William Windom as a Walter Mitty-type character. I loved it, but my wife thought it was stupid. Over the years I've collected a dozen Thurber books of stories and cartoons, most of them long out of print.
Hark!

I've loved James Thurber at least since I was 12. Robert Benchley too. Another great of that era was Ring Lardner. The Broadway musical Guys and Dolls was based on his characters. His masterpiece is You Know Me Al, written in the form of a series of letters by a baseball player to his friend. Booth Tarkington's Penrod is another classic. My father was a writer and journalist and had quite a serious library, of American authors especially, so I could go on. As a young tot I also read the complete works of Saki (H.H. Munro) and all of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. All of that is truly great literature for young readers, imho.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've loved James Thurber at least since I was 12. Robert Benchley too. Another great of that era was Ring Lardner. The Broadway musical Guys and Dolls was based on his characters. His masterpiece is You Know Me Al, written in the form of a series of letters by a baseball player to his friend. Booth Tarkington's Penrod is another classic. My father was a writer and journalist and had quite a serious library, of American authors especially, so I could go on. As a young tot I also read the complete works of Saki (H.H. Munro) and all of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. All of that is truly great literature for young readers, imho.
Holmes is fantastic reading. I re-read them frequently.

For many, Jeremy Brett personifies Holmes, but for me - the Basil Rathbone film portrayals have always always seemed closest to the print version.
Very true. I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan too, as no doubt most SH enthusiasts are. Yet, those movies haven't aged well. I thought Robert Downey Jr. was highly entertaining, even though that movie was about as far from Conan Doyle's works as one could get. I also enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, though I'm sure many Agatha Christie purists were outraged.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
He is certainly the last person who I have watched most of. I haven't completed it though as I canceled Britbox. I'll have to search for your suggestion.
B&W

Colorized

B&W

Colorized
Thanks for the links. I am watching in Black and white as they seem to be in order, and, at least from what I briefly watched of the first color film better quality

Top Bottom