What's new

DS Cosmetics & their Brass V92 twin cap.

IMG_9434.jpeg

A new shave with the DSC V92 brass parallel cap, matched here with the Yaqi brass spiral handle. The surface of the cap is getting patina or maybe it's water spots or a combination of the two.

I keep all the parts dry after each shave and use a micro-fibre polishing cloth for good measure. But honestly, I do not mind that at all. This process makes the razor more attractive to me and gives it a bit of character as well. It shows that the razor is used and not just a decorative piece. The parallel cap shows this change a bit more prominent whereas the scalloped cap and the base plate show a bit less, but it's definitely happening there too.

The shave was quite good today, a DFS which is totally fine by me for a mid-week shave. It was an uneventful shave too which is always a small win in my book.

I like the weight of the razor; it's definitely my heaviest one. With the Yaqi brass handle it is a bit lighter than with the original KVS brass handle from DSC (KVS is the brass version of the KVT handle).

IMG_9662.jpeg

Another beautiful shave with the DSC V92, this time with the scalloped cap and the DSC KVS brass handle. The V92 is one of my top razors and I do look forward to shaving with it.

The KVS handle is a bit heavier than the Yaqi 88mm brass spiral handle, it also has a bit more diameter. In combination with this handle the V92 is heavy but still very well balanced.

The scalloped cap really changes the feel of the razor. The V92 razor is delivered with a parallel and a scalloped cap and it's like getting two distinct razors for the price of one. Of course the heads are also available separately. The scalloped cap shaves a bit smoother and is more angle- forgiving. I have the feeling that the shaves are closer with the scalloped cap.

I have this razor about three months now and it is starting to show considerable oxidation. Mainly due to the hot and humid weather we are having. When it arrived it was shiny gold and until now it has changed to a more reddish gold. There's also some dulling on the handle. The scalloped cap has been holding up well, while the parallel cap has been showing oxidation discoloration. Remember, that the razor is thoroughly cleaned, dried and polished after each use. Again, I have absolutely no qualms about that and am in fact welcoming this rapid change, with the hope that I can keep the razor oxidizing rather than corroding. I also have the suspicion that the KVS brass handle is unadulterated brass, i.e. there isn't any clear coating on it, whereas the base plate and top caps are probably coated. The handle is just changing way quicker and does feel a bit different than the head.

I have attached a few pictures of the razor from the day I received it and from this Monday. The change in color should be quite obvious. I attached the parallel cap because that's where the most changes can be seen. Note that the cap is not dirty in any way, rather what you see are changes in color of the brass and some water spots. The cap in the left picture has some fingerprints on it; brass is sensitive that way.
IMG_6658.jpeg
IMG_7232.jpeg

DSC V92 parallel cap (Day 1 on the left, after 3 months on the right)

IMG_9810.jpeg

I love this razor. Every shave with it is a pleasurable experience.

There is no fussing about, it is smooth and efficient and gets the job done every time. There's not much more to say about the DSC V92, which hasn't been said, repeated and said once again. It's a great razor in every configuration, though the scalloped cap is a bit smoother.

The brass just needs a bit more TLC, but if you clean and dry your other razors after each shave, that's all you have to do with this one. If you don't want or like the natural patina which will invariably form you'll have to invest a bit more time and elbow grease to polish this one up a tad more often.

I polished the DSC V92 today with some Dursol Shine, a polishing cream recommended by quite a few people here on B&B and by Theo from Lambda razors. I’m not sure how the V92 is treated, but given that my polishing cloths came out very black, I assume that the razor is coated in some kind of varnish, which would explain the sticky handle I’ve been experiencing the last few weeks. It could just as well been oxidation, but my bet is that the brass was coated and that came off during polishing. Actually, each part turned black as soon as the Dursol made contact. The razor is cleaned and dried after each use. In fact, I dry it with a soft cloth each time and none of that black stuff ever came off until today.

I’m not overly concerned about whether I’ve removed oxidation, brass varnish, or some other polishing agent. All I can say is that Dursol Shine works very well and the razor does look much better now. Dursol shine can be used on pretty much any metal including stainless steel.

Attachments

• IMG_7845.jpeg
    IMG_7845.jpeg
    995.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7848.jpeg
    IMG_7848.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    985.6 KB · Views: 14

Iridian

Cool and slimy
There is also often black gunk/residue in the DSCosmetic threads, I assume these are leftovers from machining of the handle.

I polished the DSC V92 today with some Dursol Shine, a polishing cream recommended by quite a few people here on B&B and by Theo from Lambda razors. I’m not sure how the V92 is treated, but given that my polishing cloths came out very black, I assume that the razor is coated in some kind of varnish, which would explain the sticky handle I’ve been experiencing the last few weeks. It could just as well been oxidation, but my bet is that the brass was coated and that came off during polishing. Actually, each part turned black as soon as the Dursol made contact. The razor is cleaned and dried after each use. In fact, I dry it with a soft cloth each time and none of that black stuff ever came off until today.

I’m not overly concerned about whether I’ve removed oxidation, brass varnish, or some other polishing agent. All I can say is that Dursol Shine works very well and the razor does look much better now. Dursol shine can be used on pretty much any metal including stainless steel.
Nice work, what a shiny result!
Looking at the picture of the cloth I can confirm that the cloth I used always looked like this when I have used Dursol... no matter of the manufacturer or the razor being polished. 👍

Nice work, what a shiny result!
Looking at the picture of the cloth I can confirm that the cloth I used always looked like this when I have used Dursol... no matter of the manufacturer or the razor being polished. 👍
Thanks so much for that information. It was the first time polishing a razor with Dursol for me, and that black stuff got me worried a bit. Luckily, I didn’t use some expensive cloth. It’s good to know that this is to be expected.

I was actually surprised how efficient Dursol Shine is. It didn’t really require a lot of elbow grease to bring the razor to that shine. I think I spent about half an hour with cleaning, applying and buffing.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Most helpful. I am still puzzling what is or was on @m949 's handle. I already suspected humidity, then machining gunk or machine oil, now at least the black cloth is explained. As you can figure, I didn't use Dursol ever.

Top Bottom