What's new

Diluting EDT or EDC into aftershave

Would using some of that hand sanitizer that places were getting when the name brand versions sold out during the Covid be useful? One of my bottles seems just like grain alcohol although it says not drinkable.

I've not tried those particular aftershaves. I have a few with a generous amount of glycerin, though (like Epsilon Blue). What worked well for me was to leave face and hands wet, use less aftershave and apply by tapping with the fingers. This way, you do not slather on a thick layer of aftershave and it sinks in pretty quickly.

I'd like to make a DIY version of Speick at some point. I really like the way that one performs, but the price has gotten ridiculous and you can't buy a larger size.
I have a recipe for an AS. I am not too sure you would save much. I would just adulterate your EDT with as above Witch Hazel and Glycerin but also Aloe Vera.

55% Alcohol
29% Witch Hazel
2% EO
2% Sodium Lactate
2% Aloe Vera Leaf Juice
2% Lactic Acid
2% Allantoin
2% Panthenol
1% Bisabolol
1% Tocopheryl Acetate
1% Camphor
1% Chamomile

The EO could be Lavender and and something related to Valeriana celtica. Possibly Valeriana officinalis or Nardostachys jatamansi

Last edited:
I have a recipe for an AS. I am not too sure you would save much. I would just adulterate your EDT with as above Witch Hazel and Glycerin but also Aloe Vera.

Interesting recipe. Here is the current Speick ingredients list. They use sugar alcohols instead of glycerin as humectants which I've not seen other aftershave using. Does not have the sticky face feel that some aftershave with glycerin can have.

Speick.de said:
Ingredients INCI:​
Alcohol, Aqua (Water), Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Lactic Acid, Menthol, Camphor, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool​

Anyone done this?...taken EDT or EDC and diluted it to create an aftershave? Did you just add water?...alcohol?...both?

I've got an inexpensive bottle of a Polo green homage and would like to dilute it for use as an AS, with the scent only lingering for a short time.
I wet my hands and face with water put a drop or two of cologne (or spray) in my wet hand rub hands together rub it on my face like an aftershave. very simple. I read some time consuming methods but I like to keep it simple.

Anyone done this?...taken EDT or EDC and diluted it to create an aftershave? Did you just add water?...alcohol?...both?

I've got an inexpensive bottle of a Polo green homage and would like to dilute it for use as an AS, with the scent only lingering for a short time.
I have done that routinely. I wet one of my hands and then put the cologne or whatever it is into my hand, rub hands together and go. It took a little bit to know the right level of dampness for my hand for any given soon-to-be AS.

Aftershaves usually have different concentrations of base fragrances, usually about 1/3 less than cologne. They usually only use 45-55 percent alcohol, and often contain emollients like glycerin or polyethylene glycol.

Top Bottom