What's new

December 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Gillette Heritage
Personna Red (5)
Semogue 820
Stirling Ramblin' Man

IMG-DSC_5858 (1).JPG

Hope you all have a great weekend :)

Still out..

Last night the Henson Mild arrived that I received in the PIF that took me out of December GRUME.

I must say I love it. Nice mild shaver great for saving daily. Very light, but intuitive shaver. Good feedback with a Parker Platinum blade, really nothing to not like!! I used Proraso cream and my RazoRock Big Bruce Synthetic for the business.
2.5 passes and I am smooth as a baby's bottom. Proraso Green Aftershave for the finish, and I am ready to take on the day.

1000005156.jpg

Day 8, 25.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Used the Rockwell for a change. Considering how mild it feels, it does a good job. Got an easy DFS+.
The 6S (plate 6) used to be my razor of choice until I discovered the GC 0.84P SB. Now I rarely use anything else, not even my Merkur Futur

9 Dec, still in! Another fine shave delivered by the Rockwell T2 SS razor and Gillette Platinum blade (7). Used the same soap I've been using all week (SWS). An excellent shave. I normally bin the blade after 3 or 4 shaves, but decided to keep the same blade all week. I must say that the blade gave me a DFS from day one to day 7. I could probably get more shaves from it, but have decided not to push it further and choose another setup for next week.

IMG_0971.jpeg

Sorry to be the Grinch, Guido but I tried a horse brush quite early on :( Scritchy, floppy and tangled easily - really an acquired taste.

Mostly likely operator error but I didn’t get any joy out of that brush.
Don't worry, Hannes!
I'm fully aware of the risk ending up with a scritchy brush. I know it is immanent with these sort of brushes.

But curiosity killed reason. Again!
(I just realized this might be a very suitable "undertext" for my avatar. LOL! 🤣)

Anyway, the 🚚 arrived.

Here are the black beauties.

20231209_132403-02-01.jpeg

To evalute the knots I've swirled them on the inner side of my wrist, because the skin is rather sensitive in this area. That's what I always do whenever evaluating a new brush is needed (some sort of guessing the expected backbone and level of scritch of the knot, if you will).

Oddly, out of the box (and dry) the "all black" brush (26/53mm, made of 35% mane hair and 65% tail hair) appears to be less scritchy (🤷‍♂️) and - as expected- feels a bit denser/provides a bit more backbone than the white haired one (24/55mm, 50% mane hair /50 % tail hair).

As stated, I've never used a horse hair brush, so I have no experience if and to which extent the overall feel of the knot might change once it has been soaked. I don't mind floppiness of the knot, those brushes will be used for whipping up soft creams then...

Question to all of you:
is there some sort of break-in process to be expected with horse hair brushes?

Well. I guess I'm going to use the "all black one" first to decide if I like the experience.

Cheers, Friends - enjoy your weekend!

Last edited:
SOTD December 9th 🍺🥤🧃🍸
December 2023 GRUME
DecemBOAR 2023 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗
Double Edge DEcember 2023
Semogue Saturdays!

Hello friends

Saturday dawned rainy. In honor of this week's SOTD theme, I chose a very appropriate soap: Stirling Bay Rum and traveled to the Virgin Islands. On this incredible trip I took my little friend, Il Piccolo, who combined wonderfully with Silver Star (2). As I had read here that SS goes very well with Fatip, I decided to try it. And I can say without fear of making a mistake that it was the blade that suited him best. With us, in this incredible DecemBOAR 2023, the classic Semogue 1305. And to finish, none other than Pinaud VIBR.

With us in paradise, Lee Morgan.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

7F412C39-A37C-43C8-8E08-885A21A1946C.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg

Thanks! I hope they are free of scritch 🤞

I've recognized you are on a one year long streak using your horse hair brush exclusively, but I couldn't find any details of the limited edition brush you are using online. Would you mind sharing a photo of the brush and share some details?

Besides, my parcel is out for delivery today. The two horse power 🚚 seems to move quickly 🤣

Cheers,
Guido
My has some scritch but not anymore than some of my boar brushes. I suggest just using it to break in, as mentioned some can be floppy but it depends on the knot and loft of the brush.

Mine was made for Bullgoose and they don't make them anymore.
If I remember correctly it is a 25mm knot and 54mm loft, or something close. Mine if a brown horse, but I see you got a black and blonde. Hers is a pic
20200725_182528.jpg

20200725_182332.jpg

My has some scritch but not anymore than some of my boar brushes. I suggest just using it to break in, as mentioned some can be floppy but it depends on the knot and loft of the brush.
Will do! 🍻
Mine was made for Bullgoose and they don't make them anymore.
If I remember correctly it is a 25mm knot and 54mm loft, or something close. Mine if a brown horse, but I see you got a black and blonde. Hers is a pic
View attachment 1761523

View attachment 1761524
That's a gorgeous looking brush! 🤩
Thanks for sharing 😀
Cheers!

Shave of the Week Society (SWS) setup.
Still GRUMEing in DecemBOAR

PXL_20231209_191319740.PORTRAIT.jpg

Hey Guys
Foliage has been beautiful this year. Trees still have bright yellow leaves but their days are numbered.
I decided to settle down for the week and use this nice simple setup. There is too much commercialized activities going on so I want to enjoy a relaxing and reliable shave.

2 days of growth

Decemboar : 5
2023 GRUYERE : 189

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Proraso Blue
Brush : Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Osma Alum block , Stirling Sharped Dressed Man, Nivea sensitive AS balm

Crazy morning, poor shave.

Dropped my daughter off at her school for a carpool drive to a debate competition right before 7 am just to have her call back 10 minutes later completely panicked as the car they were in had blown a tire. Drove back toward them, loaded that gaggle of teenagers in the car and drove them to their competition 45 minutes away. Came back home, took a quick shower , quick shave and loss some blood doing so for the first time this morning. Went to my appointment, gave a pint of blood (second loss of blood of the day ) before going back to that car with a blown tire on the side of the road. That kid's dad was out of town (we have volunteered for the better part of the last decade together at the kids schools). Got the tire changed, drove the car to a nearby parking lot, went on a few errands, went to watch Die Hard at the Theater got the kids back to town and the car retrieved as well this evening. Now on to a few drinks and snacks. That is well deserved. Tomorrow is another day, oh wait that is a different movie and speaking of movie, I will go watch Napoleon with my son as promised.

Day 9, 29% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Dorco Titan #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Used Cubebe for SV Saturday. The Dorco was still good on shave 4, and the combination gave me a comfortable near-BBS.

The 6S (plate 6) used to be my razor of choice until I discovered the GC 0.84P SB. Now I rarely use anything else, not even my Merkur Futur

The Rockwell (R5 plate) was my favourite, until I tried the GC.84P, got used to it, and fitted it with a handle that suited me.

Now I hardly use anything except the Game Changer .

Now on to a few drinks and snacks. That is well deserved.

Yes! :thumbup:

Top Bottom