What's new

Col. Littleton Leather Shave Kit No. 2

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have had my eye on a Military Roll Up Wet Pack style kit for years (… and years). In particular, the No. 2 Shave Kit offered by Col. Littleton.

My current set up is a Dopp-style kit that has served me well for the better part of 20 years. Two middle compartments and two side compartments and it holds everything I need when traveling, and even some things that I don’t need. 🙄

Needless to say, my current set-up is looking a little tired so when I came across the Col. Littleton No. 2 Shave Kit on the Orvis website (with 20% off), I pumped the brakes a bit.

Very rarely, if ever, have I seen Col. Littleton items, let alone this shave kit, discounted on their website and I wasn’t even aware that Orvis sold this item.

Over the many years of looking at this shave kit, I’m quite certain its cost has increased by nearly a hundred dollars or so over the last decade (or more), with its current retail price of coming in at $337.50 (+ $10 for engraving). Not a small chunk of change for a shaving kit.

So when I saw it with a 20% discount (plus free engraving and free shipping), I figured…. What the heck!

I’m not getting any younger. :yesnod:

According to Orvis, it should arrive in a few days.

My kids will be so happy to know that I did their Father’s Day shopping for them. 😀 Now all that’s left for them to do is to decide where I’m taking them for dinner.

(When I a kid, I would walk to the local pharmacy and buy a bottle of Old Spice (the Burly, if they had it) for my dad for Father’s Day. Simpler times.

These are pics of the. No. 2 Shave Kit from Col. Littleton’s website.

IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg

@Multum in parvo

It looks like those compartments may be able to hold a watch or two. 😉

I’m looking forward to it.

When I get it, you’ll see it. 👍😎

Last edited:
I have had my eye on a Military Roll Up Wet Pack style kit for years (… and years). In particular, the No. 2 Shave Kit offered by Col. Littleton.

My current set up is a Dopp-style kit that has served me well for the better part of 20 years. Two middle compartments and two side compartments and it holds everything I need when traveling, and even some things that I don’t need. 🙄

Needless to say, my current set-up is looking a little tired so when I came across the Col. Littleton No. 2 Shave Kit on the Orvis website (with 20% off), I pumped the brakes a bit.

Very rarely, if ever, have I seen Col. Littleton items, let alone this shave kit, discounted on their website and I wasn’t even aware that Orvis sold this item.

Over the many years of looking at this shave kit, I’m quite certain its cost has increased by nearly a hundred dollars or so over the last decade (or more), with its current retail price of coming in at $337.50 (+ $10 for engraving). Not a small chunk of change for a shaving kit.

So when I saw it with a 20% discount (plus free engraving and free shipping), I figured…. What the heck!

I’m not getting any younger. :yesnod:

According to Orvis, it should arrive in a few days.

My kids will be so happy to know that I did their Father’s Day shopping for them. 😀 Now all that’s left for them to do is to decide where I’m taking them for dinner.

(When I a kid, I would walk to the local pharmacy and buy a bottle of Old Slice (the Burly, if they had it) for my dad for Father’s Day. Simpler times.

These are pics of the. No. 2 Shave Kit from Col. Littleton’s website.

View attachment 1854373View attachment 1854374View attachment 1854375View attachment 1854376

@Multum in parvo

It looks like those compartments may be able to hold a watch or two. 😉

I’m looking forward to it.

When I get it, you’ll see it. 👍😎

Beautiful! It's an heirloom! Be sure to have someone in mind to pass it down!! Enjoy in meantime!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
This might be the nicest Dopp kit thingy I’ve ever seen. And if I was more of a traveler I’d get one. But as it stands, I don’t see myself forking over the dough for something I’ll use 1-2 times a year.

But wow…congrats! Post some pics when it’s in use.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The No. 2 Shave Kit that I ordered from Orvis arrived yesterday. Based upon the packaging and the shipping label, it shipped directly from Col. Littleton, which is based in Lynnville, TN.

The Shave Kit was packaged very nicely and securely in a cloth bag. You can see my initials handwritten on the attached card to ensure the monogram is correct.
IMG_0115.jpeg

The No. 2 Shave Kit
IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg
IMG_0111.jpeg

It really is just a beautiful item. The leather is rich, lustrous and substantial. It is also detachable.

There is plenty of room to store my shaving gear as well as other toiletry items.
IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

One of the pockets included some small pamphlets detailing a brief history of Col. Littleton and their leather products, as well as an inspection tag. (Nice work, SM 👌).
IMG_0109.jpeg

Know that this is a substantial kit and when packed with shaving gear it will take up a good portion of real estate in your suitcase or weekend bag (probably wouldn’t put it in a weekender and just carry it separately).

But, so what… 😀. It’s beautiful.

When I look at it, I just want to book a trip on the Orient Express and hang it on the back of my cabin door or throw it on the bed and unroll it in a very Bond-esque, manner (until Mrs. Gold yells at me to get it off the bed 😳🙄).

But… she’s still adorable. 😉😀😎

I will look forward to many years of use and enjoyment and watching the patina of the leather change over the years.

So there you have it. The No.2 Shave Kit by Col. Littleton. As someone here alluded to earlier, it is an heirloom piece.

IMG_0105.jpeg

Btw, speaking of weekend bags… maybe a Filson Duffle would be a nice complement to the No. 2 Shave Kit.

Anyone have a recommendation for a nice 2-day piece?

Last edited:
Becket Simonon Davis, Satchel Page Weekender, or anything by Carl Friedrik are all great. Filson hasn't impressed me as time has gone on. If you could get a vintage Filson, I'd say go for it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So this will take a bit of getting used to. 😀

As I said, this item is by no means a space-saver.
IMG_0158.jpeg

Items such as a soap case and a travel-size jar of Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream, make rolling the wet pack somewhat unwieldy. Nothing a tube of Speick or Proraso won’t cure, as well as travel-sized soap bars.

Also, you can see the detached leather cover.
IMG_0159.jpeg

No doubt this will take up a bit of space in the luggage (or weeekend bag).
IMG_0161.jpeg

But when I look at the craftsmanship of the No. 2 Shave Kit compared to my old kit…

All is forgiven. :yesnod:

1717406917036.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Becket Simonon Davis, Satchel Page Weekender, or anything by Carl Friedrik are all great. Filson hasn't impressed me as time has gone on. If you could get a vintage Filson, I'd say go for it.

That Satchel & Page weekender ticks all the boxes for me. Thanks for that recommendation. :thumbup1:

The No. 2 Shave Kit that I ordered from Orvis arrived yesterday. Based upon the packaging and the shipping label, it shipped directly from Col. Littleton, which is based in Lynnville, TN.

The Shave Kit was packaged very nicely and securely in a cloth bag. You can see my initials handwritten on the attached card to ensure the monogram is correct.
View attachment 1855977

The No. 2 Shave Kit View attachment 1855983
View attachment 1855974View attachment 1855976

It really is just a beautiful item. The leather is rich, lustrous and substantial. It is also detachable.

There is plenty of room to store my shaving gear as well as other toiletry items.
View attachment 1855970
View attachment 1855973

View attachment 1855998

One of the pockets included some small pamphlets detailing a brief history of Col. Littleton and their leather products, as well as an inspection tag. (Nice work, SM 👌).
View attachment 1855972

Know that this is a substantial kit and when packed with shaving gear it will take up a good portion of real estate in your suitcase or weekend bag (probably wouldn’t put it in a weekender and just carry it separately).

But, so what… 😀. It’s beautiful.

When I look at it, I just want to book a trip on the Orient Express and hang it on the back of my cabin door or throw it on the bed and unroll it in a very Bond-esque, manner (until Mrs. Gold yells at me to get it off the bed 😳🙄).

But… she’s still adorable. 😉😀😎

I will look forward to many years of use and enjoyment and watching the patina of the leather change over the years.

So there you have it. The No.2 Shave Kit by Col. Littleton. As someone here alluded to earlier, it is an heirloom piece.

View attachment 1856001

Btw, speaking of weekend bags… maybe a Filson Duffle would be a nice complement to the No. 2 Shave Kit.

Anyone have a recommendation for a nice 2-day piece?

So this will take a bit of getting used to. 😀

As I said, this item is by no means a space-saver.
View attachment 1856572

Items such as a soap case and a travel-size jar of Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream, make rolling the wet pack somewhat unwieldy. Nothing a tube of Speick or Proraso won’t cure, as well as travel-sized soap bars.

Also, you can see the detached leather cover.
View attachment 1856573

No doubt this will take up a bit of space in the luggage (or weeekend bag).
View attachment 1856574

But when I look at the craftsmanship No. 2 Shave Kit compared to my old kit…

All is forgiven. :yesnod:

View attachment 1856579
It's about the experience so who cares! There's always and adjustment to new luggage items to figure out packing. I go through it every time I travel.

Make sure to share that leather bag when you get it! I'd love to see how the bag looks "in person" and your thoughts about it. I've been using a golfing duffle for years and would like a leather upgrade at some point.

Top Bottom