What's new

Bowl Lathering: Boy, did I have it wrong!

I use a stainless steel bowl. I don't have chemical reactions that way. I mostly use face lathering, as I said, because it's a lot faster, but I am beginning to wonder that there are some soaps that I feel a little sting after shaving and you all have gotten me to thinking that maybe it is from scrubbing my face with a soap that is already a little bit harsh. This calls for some investigation and experimentation.

I am beginning to wonder that there are some soaps that I feel a little sting after shaving and you all have gotten me to thinking that maybe it is from scrubbing my face with a soap that is already a little bit harsh.

I might be imagining it, but I am convinced that bowl lathering is already making a difference for me. It will take a while for my skin to fully recover, but it already looks a little more settled.

Paul blathering is about the same as bowl lathering.

On the one hand, not to worry as we all knew what you meant!

On the other hand, who is Paul and what has he ever done to you? :biggrin1:

I've had a similar experience with badger too. I was convinced I needed lots of "backbone". That is until I set a few soft silvertips with too much loft. Not sure I want to set them deeper now, because they lather well but are so easy on the face, even with my usual scrubbing and swirling motions.

Some might consider them floppy, but sometimes that's the ticket...
That’s my story, but I ended up with boars. My best badgers are too harsh, even painting.

“Floppy” brushes are underrated.

Another advantage to bowl lathering is that you can add stuff to the bowl. I, and quite a few people here, add a few drops of glycerine into the mix. I does a world of difference during the dry winter months.

As a ”bowl” I use a travel soap case bottom. It lets me know when the lather is ready when the suction between the case/lather/brush is able to lift the case into the air unsupported.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been bowl lathering for 7 years with shaving soaps and 90% of shaving soaps manufactured work great for bowl lathering and others 5-10% just work it seems better loading brush and face lathering I have experienced.
I made a list of the benefits on bowl lathering on a thread because there are folks who where arguing on face lathering was the best method. I still use both methods of face and bowl lathering and my skin seems to like that way of shaving.
Most shave soaps are Alkaline on the PH scale of 8-9 has been my testing.
Have some great shaves!

Most shave soaps are Alkaline on the PH scale of 8-9 has been my testing.

That makes sense to me - my schoolboy chemistry suggests that the lye is heavily (even dangerously) alkaline, and even though it should be used up by saponification, the resulting salts are presumably going to be alkalkine too to some degree, as will quite a lot of the additives in posh soaps (e.g. various clays or butters).

On a more serious note, my only regular face lathering is when I travel, using either Proraso stick, or a squeeze-out cream (Creamo, Nivea, Gillette), using a Wee Scot. I do feel I get a bit more exfoliation doing this, but that's a very subjective observation with multiple variables (soaps, water quality, sun-time-on-face, etc .)

I may have to explore this a bit more...

Top Bottom